Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Yet another "So I'm going to play Tau" thread...
Old 24 Nov 2010, 19:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Question Yet another "So I'm going to play Tau" thread...

lol So I'm going to play Tau. I've done a ton of research on them, I know in general how they play, I love their models, I have a good group of guys to play with so I'm going to hit this head on, full force.

I'm ordering 2 Battleforce boxes and a crisis suit commander. I need some help with a list of the other supplies I need. I'm ordering from superherogameland as I haven't seen better prices anywhere else. I want to paint them something close to Bork'An sept colors, which I'm feeling less and less original about as I see post after post asking for help with that color scheme.

I have most of the paints picked out, though I wouldn't mind a run down of them again from anyone especially with a guess as to how many of each color I'll need as I have no idea how long they last. I also need help with the kroot. I don't know what color to paint them to look good with my Tau units.

So basically, what supplies do I need? I know I need brushes, but how many? I know I need glue, but what kind and how much? I know I need stuff to base the models with and since it's a cold/wintery color scheme, what should I base them with? I know I need at least one hobby knife, but what else? Oh, also I'm going to magnetize everything that I can that's worth magnetizing, so I need to order magnets as well... maybe some green stuff?

Basically, I'd really appreciate anyone just helping me fill in the gaps so I don't miss out on anything I need.

Thanks a bunch guys!
DangerousFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2010, 21:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well unfortunately a lot of what your asking is a matter of opinion particularly how much paint you'll need that depends more on your paint style how many layers you'll paint if your going to water the paint down that kind of stuff.

i would recommend just getting one pot of each coulour to start with and getting more as you need it but if you really want me to take a guess i would get 3 pots of space wolves grey two of codex grey and one of hawk turquoise that should see you to around 1500-2000 points depending on how mech heavy your army is going to be and how you paint.

as for brushes this varies greatly again with how your going to paint and who you ask some will say you have to use x y or z brush to do x y or z with your models but honestly you could probably get away with painting the whole army with just the starter brush and a fine detail brush though a larger brush would help with vehicles if not a spray gun as for how many brushes that depends on you it's doable with just one but i used i think 3 or 4 of each kind so far i'm pretty bad for keeping brushes.

if your going for a winter theme just base them with modeling snow if you want to add to that model some green stuff and paint that or add pieces of slate etc the basing kit GW do is pretty good.

hobby knives and green stuff is generally only needed if your going to mod your units but you should also get a file of some kind for shaving down bits of plastic that stick out.

As for glue i would recommend Revells plastic glue great stuff.Though you'll eventually have to get some metal glue.

http://www.wargamestore.com/25g-Reve...e-p-17408.html

one of them should be enough but again depending on you no need to saturate your models with it.

as for kroot theres a recommended scheme on page 61 for them in the tau codex

but have a look at these

http://advancedtautactica.com/viewto...d97021063c0082

i based my army somewhat off this scheme though i don't use ice blue and different shades of blue and red.Blood red enchanted blue and chaos black are the main coulours of my scheme

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 24 Nov 2010 at 21:48.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2010, 22:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

That's all some good information, if it helps at all, I want to kinda speed paint these guys. I want to get them looking good and up and running asap, I know that's also subjective as what looks "good enough" to me may make someone else throw up in their mouth a little. lol I don't know how I paint or anything like that as I've never done it before. I was planning on using a white primer on everything. I actually want them white, thought I suppose not virgin snow glistening in the noon sun white. I'll only have 2 devilfish and 3 crisis suits to start as that's all that'll come with my boxes and I'm buying a commander suit, so not many mechs there at the start anyway.

I'm trying to get a best bang for my buck kinda paint job on them, something simple and consistent, that requires little to no paint mixing as I fear my ability to be consistent across a whole army if I have to keep mixing things.

Is wargamestore a good place to get brushes, hobby knives, glue etc from? superherogameland has great prices on the units and paint, but it's hard to browse the site for things when I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 19:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

oh no forget the wargamestore i was just giving a link to the glue i mentioned so you'd have an idea what i was talking about.

If your going to do a simple paint job for that amount then i would be quite confident you'd manage with three pots of your primary colour two of your secondary and one for your highlight colour certainly for that amount i used about that much and painted 24 firewarriors 36 kroot two devilish two hammerheads 6 suits and 4 broadsides with a basic paint job.

though having said that i do want to do another layer then a shade then a varnish layer to bring them up to a reasonably good standard about a 5-6 on coolmini or so i would hope.

if your looking for a good site to buy from this is the one i use assuming you live in Ireland or Britain

http://www.totalwargamer.co.uk/
Old 25 Nov 2010, 20:26   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Once again, I definitely appreciate the advice, as for where I live... lol I'm in the States. So, I'd prefer to order from a US or Canadian company to be honest.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 20:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah thats only natural the delivery would kill you i just didn't know where you lived
Old 27 Nov 2010, 20:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The delivery is horrible trust me. Any savings that might be made in buying from overseas gets destroyed in the shipping...
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2010, 04:17   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Anyone in the USA/Canada know a good site to order supplies from? Glue, hobby knives, clippers, brushes, etc?
Old 29 Nov 2010, 06:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thewarstore.com

Loctite Ultra Gel is super strong, dries appropriately fast (meaning not so fast you can't fix a screw up quick, and goes a long way for the money (some Plastic Cement brands/containers gush out a lot and keep gushing due to pressure i.e. crazy glue. The Loctite gels are very easy to control.

Army painter shades work great for detailing an army to get it to the table quick and still look good. I've done my Kroot, FW's and Pathfinders with it. I still prefer to hand paint my vehicles and suits though.

Magnets from Amazing magnets.com or KJmagnetics. You'll want 1/8 x 1/16 for most everything, 1/8 x 1/32 for spacers and to fix when you drill too deep, they're pretty narrow.

I should change my name to Number 1. Not because I'm conceited but because thats what I always roll at inopportune moments.

Link to my Terrain Table Article http://tauonline.org/?content=browse...ry&article=619

Last edited by AndyinUT; 29 Nov 2010 at 06:33.
AndyinUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2010, 17:12   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Awesome, thanks for all of the advice guys. So I've ordered all of my stuff, ordered the army and paint from superherogameland, ordered the brushes, glue, clippers, etc from thewarstore, and my magnets from K&J magnetics! Now just to wait for it all to get here to see what I forgot! lol