Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Crisis suits versus Piranaha TX-42
Old 21 Nov 2010, 05:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Crisis suits versus Piranaha TX-42

So I'm starting to think about how to add a bit of speed to my Tau army whilst maintaining the firepower that crisis suits offer. Three TX-42s with disruption pods and decoy launchers some in at 220-240, whilst a tripped out 3 suit team comes in at between 220-240.

The Piranaha's have a bit more survivability due to being pretty much immune to small arms fire and have much greater manoeuvrability. Suits have greater firepower and don't lose combat effectiveness as quickly.

Has anyone had any experience with squads of TX-43s? If so how have they faired?
Thornoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2010, 15:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To put it short and sweet, my suits jump-shoot-jump saved their tails while my pirahna got nailed and went down in flames. But I've only used the priahna once so...
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2010, 16:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i think the TX-42 is a forgeworld model and is different to the regular piranha if it is i can't say since i'm unfamiliar with it but if it isn't i agree with arti suits beat piranha every time for me.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2010, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oh I didn't even pay attention to the forge world thingy. If thats the case no idea, if standard pirahnas then my previous statement stands. Thought they would just work better though, able to drop the drones and all but I never got the chance to test it so...can't say on that point.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 20:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The only thing piranhas are good for is boosting out first turn to block and threaten landraiders as a result they draw a lot of fire the next turn and potentially save a lot of other units by distraction if you think thats worth the 60 odd points go ahead if not get a suit
Old 22 Nov 2010, 20:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Not to mention suits you can use magnets with a regear them for different battles as needed.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 16:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

My tau army doesn't rely on suits or piranhas, but I have both. They do their respected jobs well, and I suggest that if you are struggling with a decision, take both since they don't fill up same FO slots.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 19:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

True they don't but since my poor performance with them (which may just be my low experience with using pirahna) and since I face alot of SM I field 1 squad of pathfinders and 2 squads of vespid. but that is just me, I built and tried the pirahna to flank and take out transports. Once again though it may just be my lack of experience with pirahnas.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 21:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah i don't like piranhas either they don't have enough firepower for their cost and are effectively one shot vehicles assuming you use fusion which is the only real option in my opinion and with with a BS of only 3 are unreliable in attack mode and as blockers/distractions they aren't reliable and i don't like having to cross my fingers and hoping my opponent doesn't toast them in one good shot despite their turbo boosted cover save.
Old 26 Nov 2010, 05:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To actually answer your question (and not just give my opinion of garden variety piranhas) Thorn, it depends on the composition of the rest of your army.

Either take tons of bodies or tons of tanks, (and realize that right now in 5th vehicles are still king).

The TX-42 works wonders if you are playing two squads of them, also using regular piranhas, bare-bones Commander, min-troops, and Hammerheads. Overloading an opponent with tanks will ensure that anti-armor weapons will generally be aimed at Hammerheads, or scoring Devilfish, and those little TXs can flit around the table and hit enemy units from as far away as 48" (with missile pods).

If you using two squads of broadsides, crisis suits, the bubble wrap army list, or whatever else, the vehicle is going to be outclassed by units that can spit out greater quantities of fire (for lesser cost), survivability be damned.