Gun Drones help? or Hindrance
View Poll Results: Gun Drone help? or Hindrence
Help 10 71.43%
Hinderance 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07 Nov 2010, 09:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Question Gun Drones help? or Hindrance

Is it just me or do you guys find that gun drone squads just get in the way.
I know some people use them to distract the enemy but it just doesn't work for me.

so as in the title:Gun Drone help? or Hindrance
Let me know what do you think?

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

Last edited by maddosammo; 07 Nov 2010 at 11:05.
maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2010, 11:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

We're talking about the actual gun drone fast attack options here right then hell yeah their too expensive for the only real thing they would be good for i.e covering other units and can't score their leadership is terrible so their likely to scatter don't pose any real threat to piratically anything especially not in CC.

Unless your army is specifically geared to use them with a lot of markerlights because being twin linked even one markerlight makes a big difference to their firepower which ironically is difficult to do since your main source of markerlights is fast attack as well because at the same time they would only be useful on mass to block and try to pin foes you would need a huge amount of shots to pin a space marine.

both the gun drone squads and vespid struggle to get into a list because they both need markerlights lots of them and their both fast attack so if you use alot you can't get enogh

Pathfinders need to be elite in the next codex i mean honestly how are they fast attack their probably the most static unit in tau besides broadsides maybe if they were elite they wouldn't force us to take a devilfish to justify fast attack status then players who want to use lots of Vespid like me or drones can do so without sacrificing pathfinders and still field a lot of suits in the form of HQs and bodyguards.

then you could make a really specialized army with everything having a specific role broadsides for heavy tanks suits fireknife HQ/bodyguars for transports/terminators Vespid for space marines necrons and the rest your firewarriors/kroot depending on your preference taking out horde and/or scoring pathfinders for BS support cover negation etc

i want to make that list and if pathfinders didn't have to take a transport adding at least 85 points err pointlessly to your list you could.

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 07 Nov 2010 at 11:16.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2010, 11:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialnerd View Post
We're talking about the actual gun drone fast attack options here right then hell yeah their too expensive for the only real thing they would be good for i.e covering other units and can't score their leadership is terrible so their likely to scatter don't pose any real threat to piratically anything especially not in CC.

Unless your army is specifically geared to use them with a lot of markerlights because being twin linked even one markerlight makes a big difference to their firepower which ironically is difficult to do since your main source of markerlights is fast attack as well because at the same time they would only be useful on mass to block and try to pin foes you would need a huge amount of shots to pin a space marine.

both the gun drone squads and vespid struggle to get into a list because they both need markerlights lots of them and their both fast attack so if you use alot you can't get enogh

Pathfinders need to be elite in the next codex i mean honestly how are they fast attack their probably the most static unit in tau besides broadsides maybe if they were elite they wouldn't force us to take a devilfish to justify fast attack status then players who want to use lots of Vespid like me or drones can do so without sacrificing pathfinders and still field a lot of suits in the form of HQs and bodyguards.

then you could make a really specialized army with everything having a specific role broadsides for heavy tanks suits for transports/terminators vespid for space marines necrons and the rest taking out horde and/or scoring.
i know what you mean with the vespids and pathfinders i've got a large ish 2500pts sso markerlights for me aren't a problem but for my school club i'm restricted to a 600pt army where i can't afford that many makerlights.

lets hope that pathfinders become elites. (fingers crossed)

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2010, 12:24   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

As a deep strike option their good, I was a bit pissed off tho. I played a game vs SM and my friend DS termis. And as they have termi I told him he couldn't move shoot or assault. So as when my turn came and I DSed in to his ranks he told me I couldn't either... I am really pissed at this cause he is new to it, and doesn't know ther rules but him and his other dumb friend forced me to not fire and so I lost that completely... But I find them good in that situation
Old 07 Nov 2010, 13:46   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've got to say I like them, that is the ones pre-attached to vehicles which u can then drop off (they can become independent cant they?) purely because they saved my hide today, Daemon about to slaughter my broadside (dont know the daemon, but it's an independent character, some lady on a 'dinosaur' type-thing) saved by twin-linked pulse carbines .
Yru0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2010, 13:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1k3sz View Post
As a deep strike option their good, I was a bit pissed off tho. I played a game vs SM and my friend DS termis. And as they have termi I told him he couldn't move shoot or assault. So as when my turn came and I DSed in to his ranks he told me I couldn't either... I am really pissed at this cause he is new to it, and doesn't know ther rules but him and his other dumb friend forced me to not fire and so I lost that completely... But I find them good in that situation
Well that sounds fair to me it was your mistake why should he suffer for your mistake then you benefit from it.
Old 07 Nov 2010, 13:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yru0 View Post
I've got to say I like them, that is the ones pre-attached to vehicles which u can then drop off (they can become independent cant they?) purely because they saved my hide today, Daemon about to slaughter my broadside (dont know the daemon, but it's an independent character, some lady on a 'dinosaur' type-thing) saved by twin-linked pulse carbines .
Yeah i love drones on vehicles or as part of crisis suit squads etc but i'm pretty sure we're talking about the fast attack option the gun drone squadrons by themselves
Old 07 Nov 2010, 14:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I normally deep strike them behind the enemy, in awkward positions near assault troops. get close and shoot all of the at the assault unit. Pinning is the most helpful asset the tau have at their disposal.
This can hold up the enemy, as they try to re-position to counter, but then they get shot to pieces by you fire warrioes. Partly distracting, but partly useful.

It's very amusing when you get loads of them in apocalypse games and deep strike them all behind the enemy. 60 shots hitting on 4's, with re-rolls and can pin!
Old 07 Nov 2010, 14:52   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Completely off topic with a drastically N00B question, I'm not quite clear on pinning, I know it makes a unit go to ground but when? Is it on a wound of a 6 or something like that?
Yru0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2010, 16:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yru0 View Post
Completely off topic with a drastically N00B question, I'm not quite clear on pinning, I know it makes a unit go to ground but when? Is it on a wound of a 6 or something like that?
It's based off of leadership if you successfully wound an enemy unit with a pinning weapon they must take a leadership test for every wound inflicted by a pinning weapon if they fail the entire unit goes to ground it's fantastic BUT pinning stuff like marines with leadership 10 or any high leadership unit is really tough it's best used for horde control against large squads of low leadership units for example cheap tyranid mobs that are out of synapse range or opposition tau or if you have truck loads of markerlights lower the leadership of the unit your firing on and it'll be guaranteed to go to ground.

an 8 man squad of pathfinders linking up with a sniper team is fantastic for this the pathfinders markers lower the leadership and the snipers can have an entire unit of anything cowering on the ground with a single shot.

check out page 31 of the main rulebook for a more detailed description.

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 07 Nov 2010 at 16:49.