Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Just started... What now?
Old 02 Nov 2010, 08:57   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Smile Just started... What now?

Hey all

I have very recently started playing w40k and decided to go with the tau

I was in Europe (one heck of a holiday) and that waqs when i started (not the normal spot ey!)

So i bought a crisis battle suit commander and a battleforce, i have the codex aswell

So what i would like to now is what i should purchase next

Also my army is not painted ( just decided on the colour scheme tonight )

Yea if a thread like this has already been posted i could find it, sorry

so i now have 12 kroot 12 fire warriors 1 pirahna 3 stealth suits 1 xv8 (shas'vre) and 1 commander xv8 (Shas'o - is it worth having it a a Shas'o or not) 6 gun drones and 1 markerlight drone

Thanks in advance

Verckran
Verckran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2010, 11:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Most folks tend to advise against the Shas'o but I personally prefer it. Most will argue you can make up the loss in stats with gear but the cost was the same so I went with keeping it easy on themath and paperwork.

Really though when deciding what to go with next you need to look at what you will be playing against in your area. Crisis suits are our mobile slaughter units and especially if you get magnets they can be retooled for any battle. If your opponents are going to have armor you are going to need broadsides.

But it mostly depends on who you will be facing. Read up on here, you can find tons of discussions on facing different types of foes, how to organize your troops and how to set up on the board as well as enemy weaknesses and strengths. Read up on the tactics and discussions and planning your force will get alot easier. But even beyond that, got questions ask, many of us are on here regularly and will be happy to help.

Good gaming and good luck.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2010, 16:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This blog has a good joining the tau empire beginers guide you can check out as well

http://tauofwar.blogspot.com/
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2010, 22:51   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hey

Thanks that really helped i think i will finish painting my army and tear off the weapons ( so i can use magnets) thanks for the tip also i think i will get either a hammerhead or missile defence ship thing

Thanks all for your input
Verckran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2010, 00:03   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

As anti said the xv8's are mobile slaughter units no matter what you need
You kill tanks? Deepstrike them in with fusion blasters and that's a tank line gone.
Or burst cannon and missile pod and that's anti infantry.
But as well stick a line I'd Broadsides at the back and watch the enemy remove his strongest units very quickly

Pick what u need and it will work
Old 03 Nov 2010, 17:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verckran View Post
Hey

Thanks that really helped i think i will finish painting my army and tear off the weapons ( so i can use magnets) thanks for the tip also i think i will get either a hammerhead or missile defence ship thing

Thanks all for your input
Be sure to buy the skyray regardless as that has all the hammerhead parts as well so you effectively get the lot in the one box.
Old 03 Nov 2010, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Look for the older skyray unopened in the box though. At least here in the states they have now seperated them so you only get Skyray parts in the Skyray and Hammerhead in the Hammerhead set. They also raised the price of both by about $5. A quick double check though and you will have a wonderfully multipurpose kit that will enable you to switch back and forth for what you may need from fight to fight (I magnitized all the seeker missiles though so I could also use them with my pirahnas).

And hey M1k3sz, even if anti is getting credit for my "mobile slaughter units" comments he can keep credit for his occasional barbed tongue too okay? I'll pass on the exchange ;P

Last edited by articulategrunt; 03 Nov 2010 at 21:06.
Old 03 Nov 2010, 20:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulategrunt View Post
Look for the older skyray unopened in the box though. At least here in the states they have now seperated them so you only get Skyray parts in the Skyray and Hammerhead in the Hammerhead set. They also raised the price of both by about $5. A quick double check though and you will have a wonderfully multipurpose kit that will enable you to switch back and forth for what you may need from fight to fight (I magnitized all the seeker missiles though so I could also use them with my pirahnas).

And hey M1k3sz, if anti is getting credit for my "mobile slaughter units" comments he can keep credit for his occasional barbed tongue too okay? I'll pass on the exchange ;P
Wow that sucks for the skyray thing lucky me i got mine a while ago i would've been pissed to get the skyray after everyone says they have both parts and end up with only a skyray you might've saved me a bit of embarrassment there Arti

and yeah M1K3sz give credit where credit is due though i am due a lot of credit ^_^ tee hee
Old 03 Nov 2010, 21:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Saved you some embarrassment and possibly saved him & everyone reading this some money. I found out and immediately went and bought one put out a year or so ago to make sure I got both even though I really had no plans on using it in operations (preferring the dual broadside teams and looking to build a sniper drone unit for my own expanding force). But hey never know, I might change tactics or get into a massive battle scenario at some point in the future. Might even be required at some tournament or something...
Old 03 Nov 2010, 21:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah i don't like the hammerhead for the current codex though i have two for just in case because i like some of the rumors i'm hearing for the new codex such as railgun shots don't stop unless stopped i.e if lined up properly you could shoot through one tank into another into another unless you get a glancing hit or don't penetrate etc.

hammerheads would be able to line up shots better due to mobility so if true ...maybe have to wait and see what the new codex offers.