Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Extrapolating Tau rank progression and cadre honors
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jul 2005, 13:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Extrapolating Tau rank progression and cadre honors

Looking at the force org chart, one can gain some extrapolated fluff understanding of the dynamics between the various ranks in the fire caste.* Being in the army myself, I find it not too different from what occurs in the real world armed forces.* If I have made an error, since fluff is everywhere and I may have overstepped onto some official fluff contrary to my findings, then please correct me.* One assumes that cadre are built without kroot, but the use of kroot is later used to augment gaps in the ranks.* So for the Tau, the basic MTO&E would look as follows:

First a cadre fully maned would have 72 FW, or 66 Shas'la and 6 Shas'ui in the troop sections.* Each unit would be equiped with a DF containing one Shas'la driver and one Shas'ui commander.

Next the Heavy support would contain three HH with 2 crew each, or 9 BS.* Each HH contains a shas'la driver and a shas'ui commander/gunner.* Each BS has one 'ui and one in three is a 'vre, so 6 shas'ui and 3 shas'vre.* Since both are considered on separate merits and can be interchangable based upon the mission, I will simply say that this cadre has two slots with HH and one slot with BS.* Thus the total is 4 Shas'ui, 2 shas'la and 1 shas'vre.

Fast attack is tricky since I don't know the extent to which gun drones are considered as manning slots.* Therefore, I will arbitrarily assign one unit slot to a drone squadron of 8 drones.* The other two slots would be occupied by 8 PF* and 2 DF; the DF driver/commander would be, as with the HH, one shas'la and one shas'ui respectively.* The pathfinders would consist of a total of 14 shas'la and 2 shas'ui.

Next come the elites.* Again three slots are available, and depending upon the mission the cadre could have all stealths or crisis, or a mix of both.* For the sake of regimentation, I will asign one slot to stealth and two to crisis teams.* One complete stealth unit would contain 5 shas'ui and 1 shas'vre.* Each crisis team of 3 suits would contain two shas'ui and one shas'vre.* The total elites would therfore be 3 shas'vre and 9 shas'ui.

HQ can go the high road with the Aun or the low road with the Shas'el or the middle road with the Shas'o.* Assuming that this is a purely military cadre of fire caste members, we will assign the two HQ positions to the Shas'o and Shas'el as first and second in command.* Both will have a team of two shas'vre bodyguards assigned to them.* Total HQ elements would be one Shas'o, one Shas'el, and 4 shas'vre.

Drones are not accounted for within non-squadron units, but exist.* Add at your descretion.

Totalling the full cadre:

66 Shas'la FW
6 Shas'ui FW
6 Shas'la DF drivers for FW
6 Shas'ui DF commanders for FW

2 Shas'la* HH drivers
2 Shas'ui HH commander/gunners

2 Shas'ui BS troop
1 Shas'vre BS unit commander

8 drone fast attack squadron

2 Shas'la DF Drivers
2 Shas'ui DF Commanders
14 Shas'la* Pathfinders
2 Shas'ui Pathfinder leaders

5 Shas'ui Stealth team members
1 Shas'vre Stealth team leader*

4 Shas'ui Crisis troops
2 Shas'vre Crisis team leaders

1 Shas'o Commander
1 Shas'el Lt. Commander
4 Shas'vre bodyguard

Total fire caste soldiers:

90 Shas'la (private)
29 Shas'ui (sargeant)
8 Shas'vre (Junior officer)
1 Shas'el (senior officer)
1 Shas'o (senior officer)

119 enlisted of which
76% are Shas'la
24% are Shas'ui

10 Officers of which
80% are Shas'vre
10% are Shas'el
10% are Shas'o

129 total soldiers:
92% enlisted

22% NCO (shas'ui)
8% officer

Opportunities to advance from Shas'la to Shas'ui requires an attrition rate of 3 to 1.* Thus three Shas'la must leave the service, be killed, or otherwise removed from selection for every promotion to Shas'ui.

To advance from Shas'ui to Shas'vre is a 27% chance, or just over 4 to 1.

To advance from Shas'vre to Shas'el or 'o is a straight 8 to 1.

To advance from shas'la to Shas'o thus is 90 to 1.* Not good odds

So taking casualties amonsts Shas'la and shas'ui is more acceptable in general fluff terms, since every Shas'vre that has made it means 12 Shas'la didn't.* Not so grim as could be.* Better than the US military

Note: I do not include the drone squadron in the final analysis, but did account for them in occupation of force org slots.* You can recalculate this by including the other PF troops as an additional Shas'ui and 7 Shas'la.
Any comments?

Wanax

Old 28 Jul 2005, 13:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Extrapolating Tau rank progression and cadre honors

Nice to know Wanax how long did that take you?

When children goto bed they check their bedrooms for the boogie man. When the boogie man goes to bed he checks his bedroom for Chuck Norris
Old 28 Jul 2005, 14:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'el'caff'ukos
Nice to know Wanax* how long did that take you?*
bout 15 minutes

Wanax
Old 28 Jul 2005, 14:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Couple things to think about:

I'm not sure that Shas can "leave the military," probably unless permanently disabled. It's their birthright. How may commanders that you know spend 40 points on Shas'vre over team leaders? I imagine the Tau military to be much more fluid and based on the commanders' caprices. You'd see a much higher rate of field commissions in a Tau army, but I also don't think Tau value advancement so much. Instead of having E1-E9 and O1-O7, Tau essentially have only S1-S4. While there might be gradiations between the ranks, I doubt it. It seems like at some level the Tau military is much more feudal, i.e. your relative rank is based on the reputation of your direct superiors. Of course, GW probably just simplified this because detailing a full military organization would be impractical in a tabletop game, so there is really no way to tell.

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 28 Jul 2005, 14:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

As I said for the shas'la killed, wounded, or otherwise removed from service.

I used the correlation with the real military only as a means of denoting the relative priviledge/honor of the Tau rank. It is easier to comprehend what a Shas'ui is when you relate him to sargeant that you the GW designation of +10 points.

I dissagree RCanine in that the Tau DO value advancement. No other race makes such a deal out of it at all levels. It isn't really about the character's rank in game terms since taking an 'o or an 'el is based almost intirely upon points available and BS needed, yet the rank exists and are denoted in official fluff as extremely hardened and capable veterans.

I agree that Tau ranks are a fiction borne of limited necessity. There are probably, if it were real, minor ranking schemes like 3 year Shas'la or veteran Shas'la, or even who was pinned with the same rank first. I like the Tau rank structure.

I also do think it is more fluid, but this is because losses are taken so much at all levels. If you look at the US army in WWII you see soldiers with less than 3 years sporting senior NCO stripes. Why? Cause they are still alive The Tau are , IMO fluid in this way.

Wanax
Old 28 Jul 2005, 15:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Skyblazer

On page 9 of the tau codex, it says that the only way to leave the tau military is to become a shas'el and survive for 4 years or to die. It doesn't say anything about being maimed though.

Also, bear in mind that not every tau who takes a trial by fire lives.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 15:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd of thought there'd be 3 crew in a Hammerhead at least, with the Shas'la driver, Shas'la gunner and Shas'ui commander (i.e. two in the turret area), with a possible 4th crew member operating the nose guns. *When I get around to converting my Hammerheads they'd have 5 crew - driver, turret gunner, commander and two door-gunners manning the Burst Cannons.

You also forgot the crew on board any Mantas or Orcas that transport the Cadre around

~Andromidius
Old 28 Jul 2005, 15:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Tau fluff says that most of the HH is taken up with capasitors and such for the main gun. Being an advanced race, certainly above that of the USSR, I don't think they need more than a driver and gunner, since commanding and gunning run as two groves of a single purpose, and certainly the gun has a autoloader. The driver just drives. BTW, the HH turret is not large enough for two people.

I am trying to extrapolate without my own added fluff, so Manta crews and non-codex related options are not considered.

I appologize if people are interpreting this post wrong. I'm not defining the fluff, I'm trying to organize it based on the codex as much possible.

Wanax
Old 28 Jul 2005, 15:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

'Looking at the force org chart, one can gain some extrapolated fluff understanding of the dynamics between the various ranks in the fire caste.'

Not really, the force org chart has very little reflection on fluff. It is just there to balance the game.

Still your calaculations and for what you are actually looking at, this seems fair enough.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 15:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblazer
On page 9 of the tau codex, it says that the only way to leave the tau military is to become a shas'el and survive for 4 years or to die. It doesn't say anything about being maimed though.

Also, bear in mind that not every tau who takes a trial by fire lives.
So essentially 1 out of every 129 Tau make it out alive! *Not accounting for the wounded beyond service ability. *

Then again, maybe there are cadre of crippled troops as garrisons on interior worlds? *Now that might be a fun cadre to build. *Some with hooks, wheelchairs, artificial leges, blind canes, and the like. * :

Wanax
Closed Thread