Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Ascension of El'Ton'Ka
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jul 2005, 13:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default The Ascension of El'Ton'Ka

Shas'El Ton'Ka surveyed the landscape below him. Clouds of dust obscured the desert terrain more than a few clicks away. Even the highly attuned senses of his modified XV8-J series Battlesuit could not penetrate the maelstrom in progress.

This was it. He'd spent the past 13 Tau'cyr preparing for what would happen in the next three Rotaa. Above him, he could almost feel the electronic eyes peering down from orbit, the eyes which would be feeding video streams of his every action to the gathered council of Aun. Those same eyes would watch the battles unfold, take in his successes, relay his failures. There could be no hiding this time.

Turning from the cliff's edge, he stomped back towards his gathered cadre. To them, this was just another training exercise, something which must be done to satisfy the Ethereals' neverending drive for perfection. But to El'Ton'Ka, this was something much more; this was the Test of Ascension. At the end of 5 simulated battles over the course of three Rotaa, the council of Aun would decide if he was fit to bear the rank of 'O.

He would not be found lacking.

[size=18pt]Round 1 [/size]

Opponent: Jim
Army: Necrons
Mission: Head of the Snake
Level: Omega

Jim's List:

Nightbringer
Destroyer Lord [Res Orb, Gaze of Flame, Phylactery]

10 Warriors
10 Warriors

3 Destroyers
3 Destroyers
3 Destroyers

Monolith
Monolith

Pre-Game Thoughts:

I'm normally bad at spotting "poor" army composition. As long as it's even remotely reasonable, I generally have no problem with it. But dang. His army was well painted and entirely converted to look like Wraiths. Even the Warriors had miniature Wraith bodies. Every time a passer-by would comment on his army he would chant, "We are the Nec-prawns, fear the Dark Shrimp!" Woah.

That being said, it occured to me that this should be a relatively easy list to bring down. I've got Railguns for the Monoliths and an IonCannon and Seekers for the Destroyers. The remaining units have little that can touch me and my mobility should enable me to stay out of assault with his Lord (who was obviously tooled for Assault!). Phase out would be a concern for him, so he would likely be relatively cautious with his Warriors, and if I could down the Monoliths, they'd be stuck walking 6" each turn and be relegated to 12" range with their guns. So the plan was to down the destroyers and Monoliths and run away the rest of the game.

The mission gave +1 Leadership to your entire army while your general was still alive up to a max of 10. If the general died, every unit must take a Morale test or fall back AND the entire army was at -1 Leadership.

The Game:

Being Omega, I started with a lot more than him on the table. Both Kroot units and both Stealth units as well as the Pathfinders found themselves squaring off against 20 Warriors. He deployed one unit far back in a corner as Phase Out insurance. They never moved the entire game. The other squad was farther forward which I surrounded with my entire army and prepared to annihilate. Although my Pathfinders used their pre-game move to get LoS to his Warriors, he won first turn and moved them out of view. Kroot and Stealths rolled poorly in my turn and downed 2 Warriors, both of which got back up. Since the Pathfinders had no target, they packed back up and re-deployed further into my zone to prepare for the re-inforcements that would show up next turn.

But none came. The only reserve roll he made was one unit of Destroyers. They tried to shoot a Stealth squad but came up short on their spotting role. Things were looking up. My reserves were poor as well, but the important thing was that I got the IonHead. Combined fire from the IonHead and a Railhead took out the 3 Destroyers. My opponent tried to argue that WBB roles were made AFTER reserve rolls... so if he got another unit of Destroyers on his reserves and moved them on within 6" of the now fallen unit, they could get WBB roles. I asked him to show me, but he couldn't find it so we rolled on it. The dice never lie, and decided that WBB roles come before reserves, so the whole squad was gone. Kroot and Stealths put a few more wounds on the Warrior squad.

On turn 3, he picked up the Nightbringer and one Monolith... still no Lord, and still no more Destoyers! The Nightbringer made it into assault with my small Kroot unit, killed 3 and they fled. Not too bad, but the fact that he was able to assault meant he was 6+3 inches further onto the table. The Monolith dropped in and flux arced the Kroot and Stealths while portalling the wounded Warriors. Casualties were light on my side, but he was getting lucky with his WBB roles and I still hadn't managed to take a single Warrior off the table.

On my turn, the entire rest of my army came in. I opted for the cautious route and didn't deep strike anything, instead positioning myself to surround his re-inforcements when they arrived next turn. Pathfinders deployed in some woods in preparation to light up a Monolith next turn. Both Railheads failed to damage the lone Monolith (curses!) and everything else took pot-shots with little effect.

Turn 4 saw his remaining reinforcements arrive. The Monolith deep struck in the middle of my lines and prepared to flux arc me. The Destroyers and Lord came on cautiously behind a forest. They failed a Leadership test to shoot past my Gun Drones and so 18 Gauss shots ripped 6 Drones to shreds. Gauss Flux Arcs from the Monolith inflicted light casualties causing both Kroot units to flee and bringing them below 50%. I didn't want to pay them anyway... The Pathfinders suffered 2 casualties from a Particle Whip that scattered off a Railhead and onto them. They fled! On my turn, I further maneuvered for a killing blow. Not this turn, but next turn. I sniped 2 Destroyers with the IonCannon and rallied the fleeing Pathfinders who consolidated back into the forest. With no target, the Stealths fled from the Monoliths and their flux arcs in order to preserve their VP's. One Railhead was able to immobilize a Monolith and the other missed (curses!).

On Turn 5, he failed one WBB role for his Destoyers, but portalled them and made his second WBB role. Although I was dismayed, this meant that his 2 Destroyer units were now separated and prime targets for elimination. The Portalled Destroyers were positioned so as to be the closest target to my Plasma/Fusion Commander and finished him off. The other unit of Destroyers had some bad rolls and took a wound off my Elite Deathrain. The Nightbringer zapped the Devilfish, but only managed to shake it. More flux arcing happened, more Kroot died, etc. On my turn, I moved up and dumped the Firewarriors near the stranded Destroyer unit and blasted them to pieces. The Pathfinders lit up the remaining Destroyers and the IonHead and a Rail slug took them down as well. The other Railhead only stunned the remaining Monolith... which does exactly nothing to it.

On turn 6, his Destroyer Lord turbo-boosted over near the Nightbringer, who was advancing on my deployed Firewarriors. They were out of assault range this turn though. Interestingly, there must have been a disconnect at some point here, because during the game, we thought this was turn 5. More flux arcing, more bad rolling for wounds, more light casualties. On my turn, the Firewarriors load back up in their fish having accomplished their objective and zip 12" back towards my lines. I place the fish in line with the immobilized Monolith creating a vehicle wall which remaining Commander (and army General) jumps over intending to rapid-fire into his Destroyer Lord. Biggest mistake of the weekend. I completely forget that his Lord is an independent character and that the giant immobilized Monolith at my back is preventing me from targeting him. So, I jump him back behind the skimmer wall I had created hoping to avoid assault. Stealths do more running away, Railheads bounce their hyper-velocity slugs off living metal, and I pass the turn to him.

The last turn sees him downing the Firewarrior fish with the particle whip, killing my Commander with the Nightbringer's zapy gun and assaulting the dumped Firewarriors with his Lord. The loss of my Commander caused the Pathfinders and 1 squad of Stealths to run, while his Lord rampaged through my entangled Firewarriors. Amusingly, they did manage to put a wound on him (giving me 1/2 VP's for him!), but they were run down after the combat. His Lord rolled a 6 for his massacre and advanced into the Stealth team which had passed their Leadership check. On my last turn, the Pathfinders rallied but the Stealth team did not and fled off the table. I focused everything I could at the Nightbringer in the hopes of taking a wound off him (for 1/2 VP's), but to no avail. His Lord brought my second Stealth team below half, and my Railguns were unable to damage the Monolith.

Victory for the Nec-prawns.

Post-Game Thoughts:

I had this one in the bag. Seriously. At the end of turn 5, I had ~570 VP's from downing ALL of his Destroyers and had 1/2 VP's for one of the Monoliths, and he had ~340 VP's from my Commander, 1 squad of Drones and all my Kroot. By jumping in with my Commander (and then not being able to shoot with him!), a chain of events was started which led to him claiming ~675 VP's on the last turn. Ouch.

That being said, my loss in the first round sobered me up, taught me some lessons, and ultimately paired me with easier opponents later on. It's just frustrating to have been so close and to know that I let it slip through my fingers! The defeat was made worse by the fact that he was trying to cheat throughout the game. At various times, he clamed the Flux Arc was S6, the Res Orb could allow an entire downed squad to get WBB roles, tried to Particle Whip and Teleport with the Monolith in the same turn, and shortchanged me on the Markerlight rules. I can understand not knowing your opponent's army's rules, but you have to imagine that GT players at least know their own rules...

[size=18pt]Round 2 [/size]

Opponent: Ross
Army: Nids
Mission: Scouting Engagement
Level: Gamma

Ross's List:

Walking Shooty Tyrant with 3 Guard

Lictor
Lictor
3 Shooty Warriors

6 Stealers
12 Stealers
12 Stealers
21 Hormagaunts

6 Raveners
3 Frag Spore Mines
3 Acid Spore Mines

Close Combat Carnifex

Pre-Game Thoughts:

A Genestealer-heavy list without a Broodlord? No shooty Carnifex? No problem. The mission gave +200 VP's to the player who controlled more table quarters at the end of the game. The plan was to use my Kroot and Drones to hold objectives while my Elites, HQ and Heavy Support earn triple their points cost. I'd have to wait for the Heavies to arrive though since the mission specified that only Troops and HQ started on the table.

The Game:

I infiltrated a Stealth team on the far left flank and used the Pathfinder pre-game move to deploy next to them. The thought was that Markerlight guided Burst Cannons would rule the day. Both units of Kroot infiltrated on the far right flank in support of each other. His Hormagaunts were nearby, so if he decided to move against them, I'd only get one round of shooting before he charged, and I wanted to force him to charge both units rather than taking them one at a time. They would then move up to take the right rear table quarter later in the game. Everything else was deployed centrally.

He won first turn and moved everything to my left towards the deployed Pathfinders and Stealths. He made good Difficult Terrain and Fleet rolls and ended up within potential charge range of the Pathfinders next turn. The Tyrant failed his spotting role against the Stealths. On my turn, I decided not to risk the Pathfinders, and instead, moved them backwards in their cover a few inches and popped some Carbine shots off. Their Stealth bodyguard opened a can of pulse fire into the onrushing horde of 30 Genestealers. The combined fire downed ~9 of them. The Kroot, Firewarrior fish and second unit of Stealths put a shots into the Hormagaunts as they ran past them towards the Pathfinders.

His reserve rolls brought on the frag spore mines. They hit the central Stealth squad but failed to inflict any casualties. Again, everything in his army moved left towards the Pathfinders with the Genestealers only just failing to assault. Again, his Tyrant shooting was ineffectual. My reserve rolls were as bad as his and I brought on my second Commander. The Pathfinders called for immidate evac and jumped in their fish while the Stealths moved to cover their retreat, mowing down another half-squad of Stealers. The Firewarriors deployed and finished off the Hormagaunts with help from the central squad of Stealths.

Turn 3 saw the remainder of his reserves showing up. The Carnifex walked on from his table edge while the Raveners dropped in to block the escape of the Pathfinders and Stealths from the left flank. The Lictors jumped out of the Lava (it WAS difficult terrain, but c'mon...) and one assaulted my Commander while the other jumped on the central Stealth team. In assault, the Genestealers ripped the Burst Cannon off the Pathfinder's fish, the Stealths laid the smack down on the Lictor with narry a return casualty while my Commander traded a wound for a wound with his Lictor tying combat. On my turn, I received everything except one unit of Drones. Everything came on from the table edge except the squad of Drones who deep struk into some rocks in the center of the table. One Railhead missed, but the other dropped a pie plate on the nicely clumped Genestealers around the Pathfinder fish. Nice! The IonHead and left flank Stealths combined fire to bring the Raveners down to 2 in order to allow the Stealths and Pathfinders to make good their escape. The deployed Firewarriors took some 30" shots at the Warriors who had showed up knocking out 3 wounds, while the Kroot began their march into the far right corner. In assault, my Commander finished off the Lictor he was engaged with and consolodated with his eye on the Tyrant.

On turn 4, the two remaining Raveners assaulted the retreating Stealths and the Genestealers again piled in around the Pathfinder Fish. The Stealths downed a Ravener leaving 1 to inflict a rending wound. Tied combat! The Genestealers pulled a Gun Drone off the Pathfinder fish and shook it. On my turn, the deployed Firewarriors took some more pot shots at the approaching Warriors. The IonHead and my Commanders began to dig into the Tyrant Guard, downing 2 and pulling a wound off the third. Again, one Railhead missed while the second dropped another pie plate on the massed Stealers bringing them down to 7 or 8 in number. The remaining squad of Drones in to the far right corner to meet up with the Kroot who were slowly shuffling that direction. In assault, the Stealths put a wound on the remaining Ravener winning combat.

On turn 5, the Genestealers finally brought down the Pathfinder fish while the last Ravener continued to slash at the Stealths, felling 2. Fortunately they passed their Leadership check! Both the Tyrant and the Carnifex walked towards my Commanders and the deployed Firewarriors. My Firewarriors loaded back up in their fish to escape the approaching Carnifex. I finished off the Tyrant with my Commanders and a Railhead while the IonHead moved to finish off the Stealers. On account of some LoS blocking terrain, it wasn't able to get all of them though. The central Stealths finished of the Warriors and the last Ravener finally died to the left flank Stealths in assault.

On turn 6, he was left with 6 Stealers and a Carnifex. The Carnifex took some swings at the Firewarrior Devilfish to no avail. 4 Stealers crept out from behind their cover and clawed at the IonHead that had been tormenting them, bringing it down! In my turn, the Firewarriors, Commanders and Railheads all concentrated fire on the Carnifex and brought it to the ground. The flanking Stealths got revenge for the IonHead and finished off it's assailants. At the end of the game, he had 2 Genestealers left hiding behind the crashed Pathfinder fish.

Crushing Victory for the Tau!

Post-Game Thoughts:

With +200 VP's for claiming more table quarters, the Victorious Slaughter was very much within my grasp. If only his 4 Genestealers hadn't downed the IonHead on the last turn... With deep striking Raveners and 2 Lictors, it was going to be impossible for me to avoid assault this game, however I did a good job of limiting its danger. Ross was an amiable guy and a fun opponent which made this the best game of the day. This was also one of the few games where my Firewarriors were useful.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 28 Jul 2005, 14:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: The Ascension of El'Ton'Ka

Sounds good to me. Should have placed it in my "peronsal Fluff" thread. It fits perfectly.

Now just don't stomp over the cliff and/or use the word "doh!" at any time

Wanax
Old 28 Jul 2005, 14:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

[size=18pt]Round 3[/size]

Opponent: Robert
Army: IG
Mission: Into the Night
Level: Alpha

Robert's List:

(from memroy)

Command Squad with attached 3 Las Heavy Weapons team

Veterans in Chimera
Veterans in Chimera

2(3?) infantry platoons with Plasma and Missile Launcher

Hellhound [Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber]

Demolisher
Baslisk
Leman Russ

Pre-Game Thoughts:

The mission was "Into the Night"... except nowhere on the sheet did it say anything about there being nightfight! In retrospect, we probably should have played the mission as it's described in the rulebook, but at the time, we decided to just play a straight VP's game. Being shooty armies, we both were a bit scared of nightfight, but Perhaps I should have been less so than him? The mission sheet DID however specify that infiltrate was allowed... even though we were playing alpha. I tried to conceed the point, but he insisted that we use infiltrate.

His army had 8 vehicles. S7 and S10 were going to win or lose this game for me. My Railguns had let me down in my first game, I was just hoping they could make up for it this time. Before the game began, he offered me a drink. "How nice," I thought. I grabbed a beer, he grabbed a Mt. Dew and we began deployment. Big mistake.

The Game:

He deployed in his corner with Chimeras blocking LoS to his more valuable vehicles. His Baslisk was burried in the corner behind some MORE LoS blocking terrain. If only my Drones could deep strike! *grumble* His snipers infiltrated on my left flank in some rubble. I infiltrated both squads of Stealths and a Kroot squad on the far right with clear line of sight to the AV10 side armor of his open topped Baslisk. Everything else deployed as best I could out of LoS, but terrain was light on my side and 5 vehicles are hard to hide. This game was going to hinge on winning first turn.

And I won the roll. Steaths moved into position and popped the Baslisk while their Kroot bodyguard moved up and killed 3 of the heavy weapons team. The Kroot were now within Hellhound range, but the Guardsmen failed their panic check so their sacrifice was ultimately worth it. Missile Pods destroyed the lead Chimera, creating a bottleneck for the rest of his vehicles and entangling the Veterans within. A Railhead shook the Demolisher while the other Railhead dropped a markerlight guided submunitions round on the infantry platoons in cover. Gun Drones swarmed out to engage the snipers, pinning them.

On his turn, he moved a Hellhound out, flamed the right-side Kroot and finished them off with the Heavy Bolter + Heavy Stubber. That's a nasty combo! The Leman Russ found a *tiny* gap between the destroyed Chimera and the rocks that the infantry platoons were deployed in and took a shot at a Hammerhead, scattering off harmlessly. LasCannons in the infantry platoons fired at the Firewarrior fish, failing to hit or failing to do damage. Everything else was either pinned, entangled or Stunned.

Hoping to press my early advantage, I moved out. I realized my Stealths were sitting ducks on the right flank and while capable enough against Guardsmen, had nothing to deal with the AV12+ Hellhound and Demolisher that were bearing down on them. I dispatched a Railhead to assist them, which succeeded in destroying the Demolisher. The other Railhead returned fire against the Leman Russ, failing to do any damage. The Gun Drones continued their advance on the Snipers pinning them again. I had intended to assault, but as long as they kept failing their pinning checks, why bother? The Stealths finished off all but 1 of the Heavy Weapons team... I was being REALLY cautious with these guys, being sure to keep them out of LoS of the Hellhound. The Firewarrior team continued to press the advance, moving towards his infantry platoon. I might have been able to drop 'em this turn if I'd spun the 'fish around backwards and jumped out the back, but I decided that his heavies had enough to worry about and probably wouldn't see the 'fish as a big threat. Missile Pods took out a Hellhound.

On his turn 2, he again found himself with not much that could be effective. A Hellhound managed to maneuver its way past the wreckage of the Chimera and drop a flamer template on the Pathfinders deployed in cover, killing 2 and making them flee. His infantry platoons fired on the onrushing Firewarrior 'fish. He rolled a '5' for penetration at which point I informed him that all my vehicles came equipped with Decoy Launchers (I had given him an army list at the begining...). His reply was somthing along the lines of, "You put those things on your TRANSPORTS?!" It was re-rolled to a 2. I grinned. His Leman Russ proceeded to fire on the Pathfinder 'fish again scoring a '5' for armor penetration, which again was re-rolled to a '2'. He was furious. I grinned. The Hellhound on the right maneuvered to try to get LoS to my Stealths, but I was hugging their terrain piece for dear life. The second Chimera zipped out and deployed it's Veterans (flamers) near one of my Commanders and their shooting put a wound on him.

On turn 3, I hoped to launch the Mont'ka. The Pathfinder team rallied and consolidated back into cover. I moved the Firewarrior 'fish within deployment range of the infantry platoons with the IonHead available for support. The Railheads lined up their targets. The Stealths abandoned their cover with eyes on his command squad squatting behind the ruins of the Baslisk. And that's about as far as it went. My Railheads missed or failed to penetrate. The Stealths didn't have LoS to the Command squad, and I completely forgot to deploy the Firewarriors out of their 'fish. In fact, about the only success I had that turn was the Gun Drones finishing off the snipers and my Commander dismantling his attackers from the previous turn with the help of some Kroot Rifles. He then punished me for my lack of foresight. The veterans who had been entangled first turn, moved out of their cover and dropped a well placed melta shot into the side armor of the Ionhead bringing it down. The infantry platoons downed the Firewarrior 'fish with their Missile Launchers, and the Leman Russ stunned a Hammerhead. His Command squad rolls a '6' for their difficult terrain check and are able to assault the encroaching squad of Stealths, bringing them below 50% and making them flee. Ouch.

Turn 4. What to do, what to do. After careful consideration, I decide to press the attack. He's hurt me, but I think I have enough left to finish him off. The Deathrain pops the last Chimera while the Pathfinders light up the infantry platoons for another guided submunitions round. I wanted to soften them up a bit before the Gun Drones arrived who were now heading that way after having dealt with the Snipers. The other Railhead takes aim at the Hellhound that was threatening the Stealths, but misses. The Pathfinder fish moves up and lays some shots into the Veteran squad with the offending Meltagun. The Stealths on the right jockey for position with their AV12 fire-breathing adversary.

On his turn, the Hellhound on the right fired into the Stealths, but their armor held and I only lost 2. They passed their morale check and now were in perfect position to unload into juicy rear armor. His other remaining Hellhound was out of range of the Pathfinders. The Leman Russ dropped a battle cannon round on one of the encroaching Gun Drone squads, wiping them out. The Veterans with the Meltagun stepped up and dropped the Pathfinder fish. Damn you Veterans! His deployment zone was beginning to look like a junkyard with all the wrecked vehicles in it. At least I'd gotten to use my crashed Devilfish model...

On turn 5, the Stealths put an end to the Hellhound, while a Railhead finally found it's mark and put down the dug-in Leman Russ. The remaining squad of Gun Drones took their revenge on the Veteran squad, bringing them down to the lone Meltagunner. He failed his morale check and fled off the table. Take that! By this time, he had only a few reduced squads and a Hellhound left, which were largely unable to fight. The remainder of the game was mostly a cleanup action.

Victory for the Tau!

Post-Game Thoughts:

Alcoholic beverages in a tournamet setting are a bad thing if you're there to compete. My lead was secure enough by turn 3 that my mistakes didn't affect the overall outcome, but I might've won by a greater margin if I hadn't forgotten so many things! Robert was a serious opponent, and I got the impression that my light demeanor combined with my lucky rolls in the first half of the game didn't help his mood any. He definately got a LOT easier to play with once things turned around a bit for him on turn 3.

[size=18pt]Round 4[/size]

Opponent: Ian Dudek (Dude with a "k"!)
Army: Kroot Mercs
Mission: Cleanse
Level: Alpha

Ian's List:

(from memroy)

Anghkor Prok
Master Shaper w/ Eviscerator

lots and lots and lots and lots of Kroot...

lots and lots and lots and lots of Hounds...
Vultures

Snipers

Pre-Game Thoughts:

I've played against Ian before at a Rogue Trader. The game went badly for him the first time... you can read the batle report here (it was game 4). I didn't see any reason why he'd have any more luck this time. Kroot Mercs just aren't equipped to deal with an army with lots of skimmers. And this time, he didn't have infiltrate...

The Game:

Without infiltrate, Ian pretty much filled his table quarter with models. He won first turn but gave it to me... he really had no desire to be sitting across the table from me. We both were kinda just going through the motions and trying to make this as "fun" for both of us as possible, considering the circumstances. The game progressed as could be expected, with me systematically killing 20+ Kroot each turn. He did manage to get a charge off with 2 of his Eviscerator wielding Shapers on 2 of my skimmers and they each managed to down their respective targets! That being said, by turn 4, he had only his Snipers and half of one other squad remaining, and I was obviously going to kill them off and have all the table quarters claimed. He conceeded the Slaughter.

Victorious Slaughter for the Tau!

Post-Game Thoughts:

Not much to say. It went exactly as I expected. Assaulty horde armies like the Kroot and 'nids generally are easy for Mech Tau... and this game showed why.

[size=18pt]Round 5[/size]

Opponent: Karl
Army: IG
Mission: Hold at All Costs
Level: Gamma

Karl's List:

(from memroy)

Command Squad in Chimera

3-4 Infantry Platoons, 2 with Chimeras

Hellhound w/ Heavy Bolter
Hellhound w/ Heavy Bolter

Leman Russ
Demolisher

Pre-Game Thoughts:

This mission involved an attacker and a defender. The Defender deployed any/all their Troops and Heavy Support in the center of the table around an objective. The Attacker got first turn and could bring their ENTIRE ARMY on wherever they wanted. Whoever was in control of the objective at the end of the game got +500 VP's. I seriously debated being the Defender, since most of his heavy weapons were infantry mounted and he would be forced to move to the objective if he wanted to win the game. However, I could tell that he really wanted to be the Defender, and also, I thought my army was better suited to attacking, both from a purely game mechanics point of view as well as fluff. So I decided to attack. This game would be the epitome of Mont'ka. All of my army against half of his. My goal would be to press the attack early, get in his face and do as much damage as possible in the first 2 turns before his reinforcements could arrive.

The Game:

He deployed his 4 vehicles (2 Heavies + 2 Chimeras) in a "PLUS" formation around the objective with their backs to the wall as it were. Tricky. No rear armor for me... or so he thought. His infantry then spread out around the objective trying to maximize their lines of fire, not knowing from which direction I would come. However, his vehicles blocked a lot of LoS, making it difficult for all his heavy weapons to see all of the board.

I infiltrated the Stealths and Kroot within first turn shooting distance. I deployed the Pathfinders with LoS and range to the Leman Russ, while their Devilfish deployed on the opposite side of the table... with it's compliment of Seekers pointed right at the rear armor of the Russ.

On the first turn, I moved everything on from the left side of the table, attempting to deny him LoS with at least a few of his LasCannons. The Pathfinder lit up the Russ and the Devilfish responded by firing it's seekers, even though his back armor was up against a giant rock wall* : He failed his "hull down" roll and a penetrating hit destroyed the Russ. Railgun solid slugs did nothing to the Demolisher while Missile Pods stunned a Chimera. Kroot, Gun Drone and Stealth fire chewed up a full infantry platoon. The Firewarriors had their afterburners on high, trying to get into the thick of things...

... but were immediately shot down. A heavy bolter in an infantry platoon killed 2 Pathfinders and they fled off the board! His Demolisher tried to land a Pie Plate on my Gun Drone Squad. I'd mistakenly left my Commander too close and a hit would have vaporized him. Fortunately it scattered off harmlessly! Not much else.

On my turn 2, I pressed the attack. The Railheads stunned the Demolisher, while the Deathrain managed to down one of the Chimeras. The Stealths and Kroot moved inland in preparation for the arrival of his reinforcements, shooting all the way. A Gun Drone squad made it into assault with a reduced infantry platoon, killing 3 and winning the combat! On his turn, his reinforcement rolls failed him, and he got naught but a single Hellhound. He brought it in behind the crashed Firewarrior 'fish, flaming the survivors and killing all but 1 who passed his morale check! Casualties, LoS blocking wrecks and close combat limited his heavy weapons fire this turn, and he inflicted no lasting damage. The Gun Drones won combat again, inflicting 1 casualty and receiving none in return, but the IG held their ground yet again.

On turn 3, the lone Firewarrior passed his man-alone check and stepped forward further into the wreckage of his former Devilfish in order to have LoS to the battle in front of him. The Railheads failed to dent the Demolisher this turn, while Pulse fire from the Stealths continued to eat into his few remaining infantry. I was running out of targets by this point, since I'd killed just about everything on the left side of the table! The Gun Drones tied combat this turn trading 1 casualty for 1 casualty. On his turn, the remaining Hellhound arrived, but still no sign of his command Chimera. LasCannon fire ripped the IonCannon off the turret of the IonHead which was maneuvering for rear armor on the one remaining Chimera on the table. The Demolisher dropped a Pie Plate on a Railhead, but failed to penetrate.

Turn 4 continued my advance and the destruction of his few remaining infantry. The Railheads finally got the better of the Demolisher, leaving it a smoldering wreck. The Kroot abandoned their cover seeing the approaching Hellhounds and wanting to at least have a chance to contribute to the battle. The lone Firewarrior passed his man-alone check and took a shot at a Guardsman, but missed. The second Gun Drone squad arrived to assist their depleted bretheren in close combat, accompanied by the 2 drones from a Devilfish. Their combined weight won the combat and swept the remaining Guardsmen! On his turn, his command Chimera arrived, but his tooled squad had nothing in range to assault within walking range of the table edge and I tactfully reminded him that his Chimeras are not open-topped transports. So they just trotted onto the table with hopes of assaulting the celebrating Gun Drones on a later turn. A Hellhound Flamed the Kroot and killed a majority and they fled. So much for them contributing* :

On turn 5, I maneuvered to finish him off. Stealths and the Ion-less IonHead maneuvered for rear armor shots on a Chimera, but failed to damage it. The RailHeads took aim at the Hellhounds, but missed or failed to damage. The Deathrain tried to pick up the slack, but also failed to damage. The Gun Drones and 2nd squad of Stealths blasted his newly arrived Command Squad to paste. In my arrogance, I'd left my rear armor of a Railhead facing a Hellhound... since I'd hoped it would be dead. Poor rolling on my part meant that it was definately very much alive and Heavy Bolter + Flamer fire took it down. He drove his second Hellhound out from behind cover in the hopes of getting a template on a Stealth team, but was just out of range. At this point, he didn't have much left... just 2 Chimeras and 2 Hellhounds.

On turn 6, my lone Firewarrior passed his man-alone check for the FOURTH time, and stepped out of his wrecked Devilfish to get LoS on the Hellhound which had just dashed past in an attempt to flame the Stealths. A '6' for his difficult terrain check meant he was able to maneuver to get a rear armor shot! 2 shots, 2 hits, 1 pen, DESTROYED! I was beside myself. The remaining Railhead killed the 2nd Hellhound while Burst Cannon Fire (and assaults) from the Stealths and IonHead were able to immobilize and remove weapons from both Chimeras. He could do nothing on his turn, so we called it.

Crushing Victory for the Tau!

Post-Game Thoughts:

I was less than 100 points away from the Slaughter. I had wiped him out nearly to the man and had secured the objective, but he had inflicted just enough casualties to limit me to a Crushing Victory. Even so, I felt this game was my best of the weekend. It was fluffy and fun, and I felt like I did everything right and had some decent luck to boot. My double-rifle toting Rambo Firewarrior passing 4 rounds of man-alone checks in order to kill a Hellhound on the last turn was icing on the cake. And the Gun Drones winning in assault against a full infantry platoon over 5 rounds of combat was awesome to watch as well. I was able to overwhelm him early and inflict enough damage so that his scattered re-inforcements were unable to meaningfully turn the tide.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 28 Jul 2005, 15:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

It looks great T0nka, I like the combined fluff/army list - one question, though. This might sound dumb but how do you write PDFs like that, do you use photoshop? I've never explored all the "Save As" options of my copy.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 15:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks Auin'Myrrath!

I personally don't know very much about PDF creation. Photoshop should do it, but the easiest way would be with Illustrator I think? I have a very nice (and talented!) friend who helped me out with this one.

Old 28 Jul 2005, 15:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
Well, it's more of a battle report. Or at least it will be once I get back from the GT this weekend

I just wanted a thread to document things in as they progress. And also to post my list before Frank had an aneurism.* * :-[
Doh! Should have noticed the link at the bottom. Nice format!

Wanax
Old 28 Jul 2005, 16:31   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Tonka,

I to am goin got he GT and bringing my Tau. I will be the white/blue/black army there. Look for me.. it will be good to meet another Aun
RISE GHOST OF WAR!!</font>
Old 28 Jul 2005, 17:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Excellent! I look forward to meeting you!

I think the most obviously recognizable characteristic of my army will be the clear Stealth Suits and the desert diorama board.

Old 28 Jul 2005, 17:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Your post could fit in a few different boards Tonka but I'll keep it here so I can applaud you! Very nicely done as ever with fluff and presentation...best of luck in your GT, bring it home for the Tau!

Old 01 Aug 2005, 16:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Update: Added reports for rounds 1 and 2 to the main post.

Closed Thread