Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What next? To all the pros
Old 21 Oct 2010, 14:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Cool What next? To all the pros

I currently have a tau battle force an extra piranha and 6 extra drones... And I'm heading into gw on sat ( it's Thursday here) and my budget is 140$ Aud... I'm getting an ork wagon for a friends bday and was wondering weather to get a broad side or a hammerhead?? I'm currently surrounded by a space marine player, an necron, a ork, a tyranid, and possibly another SM in a few months... The space marine is going terminators and scouts with snipers as his main build, the necron has swarms of warriors and scrarabs, the the ork is going with a speed freak build, and the other SM is completely stupid kid who will buy what ever he can reach ( he's short) XP
Old 21 Oct 2010, 14:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i took this form tau of war the main blog i follow for the hammerhead

The Pros
Tough: The Hammerhead is an AV13 vehicle, making it a durable mobile weapons platform. Upgrading it by purchasing a Disruption Pod makes it even more durable.
Firepower: For your first Hammerhead, I suggest you put a Railgun on that bad-boy. This is weapon can be fired on two settings: solid shot at S10(!) and S6 AP4 submunition as a large blast. The Ion Cannon is nice, but for now, letís get a Railgun.
Mobile: With a Multitracker, your Hammerhead can fire its main weapon while moving at cruising speed (7-12 inches). You can tank shock with it, ram other vehicles and contest objectives. It is relatively fast and ignores terrain as long as it doesnít end it move on it.

The Cons
Not a reliable anti-tank unit. Even though you get an S10 Railgun, the weapon is not twin-linked so if you miss you miss. Plus it is only one shot, so if you hit and roll a 1 for penetration, youíve wasted your shot. Alternatively, if you fire your submunition at troops, even if you miss you might hit something. Broadsides are much better at tank-hunting because a Broadside unit of similar points-cost has 2 Twin-Linked Railguns.
One Weapon Tank The Hammerhead, while sporting an secondary weapon system, is really a one-weapon tank. One weapon destroyed result will make it combat ineffective.

Mandatory Upgrades: Disruption Pod, Multitracker.
Optional Upgrades: Target Lock.
Useless Upgrades: Any others.

While the broadside is hands down the best anti tank unit in the tau arsenal so it reall boils down for me as a choice between anti horde or anti tank you already have plenty of anti horde in your army so you need anti tank i'd go with broadsides.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2010, 17:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't consider myself a pro yet at 40K by any means but as I have examined and been planning out my force, and in the fights i have fought, I have fielded a pair of broadsides, one with smart missiles and one with the TL plasma rifle option. The TL railguns and support weapons have been the deciding factor in almost every fight I have had. Additionally I love attaching a pair of shield drones to sacrifice against truly nasty ranged attacks if I don't put killing fires on them first with the TL railguns.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2010, 22:54   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thank I'm gonna go with the bs XD and should I get some shilled drone convertion kits
Old 22 Oct 2010, 04:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1k3sz View Post
Thank I'm gonna go with the bs XD and should I get some shilled drone convertion kits
You don't need to get the shield drones kits per say but you do need shield drones you can convert gundrones using the shield generators from the suits if you want to it's just a matter of looks so it's up to you if you feel it's worth it or not.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 12:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Shoot though anti if he can actually go to GW and has the funds available why not pick up the conversion kits. Wish I could actually go down and pick up what I wanted. I either have to special order, buy off ebay or drive a 5 hour round trip to get anything for my force, including good paints.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 15:12   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulategrunt View Post
buy off ebay or drive a 5 hour round trip to get anything
Holy Sh*t (is cursing allowed?) what country are you in?? Besides I found waylandgames sells them super cheap like a BS for 25 aud...
Old 22 Oct 2010, 18:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm in the USA but I am curerntly assigned to a command and oversight posting that is on a training base in the middle of nowhere (the nearest town that reaches 4 digits in pop. is almost 30 minutes away and the nearest city that reaches 5 digits or more is about 2.5 hours away, thus the 5 hour round trip). Course I could always be deployed again, that would definitely make things tougher lol.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 19:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulategrunt View Post
I'm in the USA but I am curerntly assigned to a command and oversight posting that is on a training base in the middle of nowhere (the nearest town that reaches 4 digits in pop. is almost 30 minutes away and the nearest city that reaches 5 digits or more is about 2.5 hours away, thus the 5 hour round trip). Course I could always be deployed again, that would definitely make things tougher lol.
I know how you feel/ what you mean my dads in the armed forces and i was always getting shipped around the world with him so i can get what you mean (warhammer was my only constant conpanian durring that time), Although getting the models at time was a "$%£!*"&.\ Blooddy mailing sevice.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

Last edited by maddosammo; 23 Oct 2010 at 10:26.
maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2010, 20:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Lol in Ireland you might have only one town with a 5 digit pop in an entire county theres only one games workshop in our entire country.