Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Got completely crushed by a DS heavy Tyranid army
Old 15 Oct 2010, 03:08   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Got completely crushed by a DS heavy Tyranid army

So tonight, I played a 4 hour, 1500 point match against Tyranids, and he placed 3 units on the table as deployment, then DSed the rest of his army. He had 2 squads of 20 Termigaunts(?), 2 squads of 6 lictors, and then a few other squads which I don't rememver.

The things that struck out at me most, was the Termys that DS'ed with no scatter, AND assaulted on the same turn. I had pretty decent luck with rolling the whole game, but I lost 10-4, and almost tabled at the end of turn 5

Help!
philthechil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2010, 15:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Talking

yeah i have an idea don't get yourself into a position where you can get flanked.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

Last edited by maddosammo; 15 Oct 2010 at 20:36.
maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2010, 19:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ouch, that sucks. Thats really all I have to/can say without a better idea of how play went...OUCH!
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2010, 21:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i'm looking up the tyranid codex now and i don't see any rules allowing the termogants to deepstrike with no scatter thats a BIG deal ability and off the top of my head can only think of one unit that can do it commander Dante of the blood angels in fact they don't have the deepstrike special rule at all so how did they deepstrike?

ok so they CAN deepstrike if they use a Mycetic spore but that DOES scatter but has a neat ablity to avoid mishaps though and it also specifically says on page 54 of the codex

"A unit that deepstrikes via a Mycetic spore cannot move or assault in the same turn it arrives but may shoot (or run) as normal"

ok looking up even more of the codex the lictors have a special ability that allows a unit to deepstrike without scatter

page 41

"if a lictor is on the board at the beginning of the movement phase the tyranid player adds +1 to any of his reserve rolls.In addition if any unit is deploying using deepstrike they may be placed with 6" of a lictor and will not scatter.This ability does not work if the lictor itself has arrived from reserve during the same turn."

so that explains the pinpoint deepstrikes and of course lictors themselves may be placed anywhere on the boards more than 1" away from an enemy but can't assault.

but as far as i know NOTHING can assault the same turn it deepstriked so unless i'm mistaken this guy cheated you on that bit the big red book also confirms that stating no unit may assault in the same turn it deepstriked even if they have fleet unless specifically said in their special rules and nothing i can see in the tyranid codex allows it not termies not the spore not the lictors etc any info on what else he was using that may have allowed that.

so the best tactics in the world aren't going to help against someone who it seems to me and i could be mistaken still looking at the codex is cheating

though having said that it would seem you need to kill these lictors as soon as they arrive since he can only pinpoint deepstrike using them and only the turn AFTER they arrive and even then only if he rolled successfully for reserves and even THEN they bot have instinctive behavior lurk so unless they pass a LD test or are in synapse range of a synapse creature they can't assault on their own.

make the lictors a priortiy target the turn they arrive if you have any more info on the game or his list maybe i could give more/better advice

flamers would also be a big help since his getting right up in your grill.

i'm off to the tyranid board to ask about this.

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 15 Oct 2010 at 22:52.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2010, 04:29   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

He placed the spore within 6" of a single character, I can't remember who. But it was a small guy, maybe the size of a stealth suit. He then placed the 20 man squad around the spore, and proceded to assault my FW's, and with 120 attacks, obviously decimated them. ALL without scattering and on the same turn
Old 16 Oct 2010, 09:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthechil View Post
He placed the spore within 6" of a single character, I can't remember who. But it was a small guy, maybe the size of a stealth suit. He then placed the 20 man squad around the spore, and proceded to assault my FW's, and with 120 attacks, obviously decimated them. ALL without scattering and on the same turn
Yeah from what i'm reading he totally cheated you the character was probably a lictor this thing

http://www.gosfordhobbies.com.au/sho...agelge-119.gif

which can be placed anywhere on the board more than 1 inch from an enemy model when it arrives from reserve and it has to be on the board at the beginning of the movement phase to do the pinpoint deepstrike so it shouldn't be able to do it on the turn it itself arrived.

and as i said earlier NOTHING i know of can assault the turn it arrives via deepstrike and i see no rules that would allow the tyranid to do so in this case did he even roll for reserves when he did this? and i take it from your post there were no synapse creatures in synapse range either if thats the case the terms would have to pass a LD test to assault at ALL and they only have leadership 6 did he do that?

this is looking more and more like you got totally cheated was this a tournament game?
Old 16 Oct 2010, 11:17   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Is wasn't a tournament game, otherwise I would have made him show me specific rules.

Yes, it looks like it was a lictor. Are either the lictor, or the Spore synapse creatures? And no, he did not roll for leadership. I think the only times he even rolled the dice were for comlbat, to see if a few of his guys fall back towards the enemy (Which I know is a legit rule), and 2 total leadership tests
Old 16 Oct 2010, 14:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthechil View Post
Is wasn't a tournament game, otherwise I would have made him show me specific rules.

Yes, it looks like it was a lictor. Are either the lictor, or the Spore synapse creatures? And no, he did not roll for leadership. I think the only times he even rolled the dice were for comlbat, to see if a few of his guys fall back towards the enemy (Which I know is a legit rule), and 2 total leadership tests
No the lictor and spore aren't synapse creature and synapse range is 12" if there were other models near them that might have been in range so yeah unless a synapse creature was within 12" of this he most definitely would've had to take LD tests it's the main weakness of tyranid and why most players will target the larger synapse creatures first and foremost.

so so far we have him cheating for bringing in deepstrike with the lictor the turn he arrived assaulting straight away from a deepstrike and not taking LD tests for being out of Synapse range.

i've put a post in the tyranid thread asking one of the tyranid players to look this over for confirmation but you should talk with this guy about this stuff.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 20:18   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yeah, my brother plays Tyranids so I know that army pretty well. I am sure that this is not a legal move, that makes Tyranids insanely powerful. Can't blame him for trying though, because Tyranids often get torn up by Tau, at least in my experiences.

When you say 2 squads of 6 lictors, do you mean a total of 6 or 12 lictors? If it's the latter, I'm not sure that's within the rules either.

Although just a tip for playing against swarm Tyranid armies. Take a lot of Fire Warriors and Kroot with you, you can use the Kroot as expendable units to defend the fire warriors and weaken the swarm in any way you can. Keep firing with the Fire Warriors, using the Kroot to keep the 'nids from getting to them. Any spare points you have should be spent on Crisis suits which can just take down any warriors or clean up any part of the swarm left behind after the Fire Warriors fire at them.

Alternatively, bring a Hammerhead. You can use the template blast of the railgun to take down swarms, and gaunts have no chance of taking down a tank. He'll be forced to spend points on a unit powerful enough to bring down the Hammerhead, but these can often be easily killed by the Hammerhead itself before they even get close enough to strike.

But yeah, definitely an overpowered army there. Totally against the rules. 'nids should never have an easy time against Tau.
Dlanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2010, 20:26   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

IIRC, he DS'ed his spores within 6" of the character, didn't roll for scatter, placed his spore. Placed the 20 man squad (in classic fashion) around the spore, then proceeded to assault me. I had no chance.

And the lictors, they were a total of 12 total, in 2 squads of 6 each

He said the special rule said the units acted as if they disembared from a stationary vehicle on arrival

Last edited by philthechil; 16 Oct 2010 at 20:28.