Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

stopping orks
Old 07 Oct 2010, 19:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default stopping orks

Howdy folks asking a little advice here. There is another new player at the local shop and it was suggested we hook up for a match over the weekend. Not a problem except that now I'm trying to wrap my mind around how best to adapt my force as unlike my previous opponent and those I have been relearning how to play from (about a 16 year gap since I originally played) she does not play space marines but instead plays orks. Thing is we have agreed to a slightly off point base of around 600pts and I found out she has built/is running an ork mob army, not a single vehicle in the force, just like an ork warboss, a small group of 3 or 4 nobz and tons of ork boyz, like 50 to 60 of them in 2 or 3 mobs each lead by a nob.

My Shas'o has the AFP and I was thinking of replacing my broadside with a bodyguard for the Shas'o with the CIC that I have built. Aside from that though I was figuring a full team of 12 fire warriors and some Kroot but aside from that was trying to decide between a second squad of kroot (I have 28 total constructed), a stealth suit team (I have 3 total)or a devilfish (my force selection is kinda limited). Oh and should I look at actually adding the Kroot shaper in this case as I have one completed and paying for the armor save upgrade for the Kroot?

Opinions/thoughts if you please?
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2010, 20:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wow the new guys a girl well first and most importantly is she cute? ^_^

(if shes really young just ignore that)

ok first off you are very right to go with the special issue weapons if i were playing this i would use my "Evicters"

Shas'el with twin linked burst cannons CIC and hardwired multi + 2 gun drones
Guard with twin linked burst AFP Harwired Multi + 2 gun drones
Guard with Twin linked bursts missile pod harwired mulit + 2 gun drones.

think that comes to 278 points
That squad will decimate those ork boys

after that just spam with firewarriors and a kroot screen for the suits.

The devilfish is an option as well if you want good old fish of fury would work well here.

Never use that shaper though probably one of the few truly useless things in the tau army

stealth suits wouldn't do well here either you'll get more firepower form kroot and firewarriors for less points

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 07 Oct 2010 at 20:09.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2010, 20:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well to answer your statement/question, yes, very.

Shoot I dont even have that many crisis suits, but the twin linked burst cannons will really make that much difference..I'll have to look it over. And disreguard safety with shield drones for gun drones I take it, for the extra fire as well as pinning I believe correct?

As for "just spam with firewarriors and a Kroot screen" I take it you mean just eat up the remaining points on those type of forces right?
Old 07 Oct 2010, 20:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

NICE i feel a twinge of jealousy for your cute new gamer

thats unfortunate about the suits that configuration would be best for this and yes for the gun drones if you kill enough orks you have a good shot at pinning them and then you really have them shield drones wouldn't serve too well in this situation since you'll be using your natural armour saves for the most part which is better and that extra firepower will help a lot more.

and your also right about the spam comment just field as many as you can with your remaining points as for twin linking being worth it i'd say yes it doesn't cost much 12 points wouldn't even get you two extra kroot and only one firewarrior so for the chance to reroll 9 shots i'd take it but as with everything YOU are in command Shas'o
Old 07 Oct 2010, 21:02   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have to agree, mass your warriors, and field as many Burst cannons as you can. On that note, Devilfish, burst canon goodness, gun drones AND you can "sort of" hit and run with your warriors. It’s been a while since I played Orks (4th edition) but that the army I fielded and my buddy just couldn’t get close to me. He actually stopped plying Orks for a while after we played a few times. He swapped to Chaos, and beat the pants off me... stupid 3+ save...
DevilBoy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2010, 21:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To be honest I have not even looked at the burst cannons that much as i have been mostly fighting Space marines. I shall definitely have to take another look at them. maybe i can get another crisis suit and get it into service before the match...or just borrow one off one of the more seasoned tau players at the shop, he has offered many times...

So do you guys think i should keep it strictly infantry and crisis suits or add a devilfish for the burst cannon and gun drones, plus of course the mobility and having armor on the board when she has none.

As for that twinge of jealousy though Anti, natural dirty blond with suppossedly natural mild red tinting and deep blue eyes, a couple shades lighter than "royal blue", about five foot even. In her mid twenties I'd say, maybe late twenties. Also quite the cut up, plays Orks because "they're bloody hilarious".

Last edited by articulategrunt; 07 Oct 2010 at 21:18.
Old 07 Oct 2010, 21:27   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

And a Nerd? You lucky dog! Last time I found a girl that cool, I married her. Back to topic though, yes, burst cannons. Unless I am remembering wrong most Ork boys only get a 5+ save, no good against a Burst. Add the high rate of fire and, if you can get it on a XV-8, the ability to hop into range, fire and back off to avoid assault or get back in cover. Yeah, lots of bloody Orks on the floor.
Old 07 Oct 2010, 21:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Unless your playing objectives theres no NEED for the devilfish she'll undoubtedly come to you being orks so sit tight and open fire ^_^
Old 07 Oct 2010, 22:35   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

True, I just can’t get enough of that Fish of Fury attack. Its served me well, very well. In all likelihood however, you will be playing objectives. Two out of the three missions in the book are based on them. Side note: I miss some of the more involved missions from 4th ed. Anyone know if there are rules for some of them in 5th anywhere?
Old 08 Oct 2010, 05:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thers a book called batlle missions with a lot of different scenarios and mission types