Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Weapons and Options Configurations
Old 02 Oct 2010, 19:57   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Weapons and Options Configurations

Okay, this is for those of us that can't comprehend the mathematics (x number of shots equal x.xx number of kills) or just aren't sure of certain weapon's rules. let's start with the smart missile system (sms). is it twin linked? if not, is it 4 shots per pod, or 2? i really wanna know before my hammerhead goes to shoot his missiles but can't because only one side has LOS.
Edit: okay, so i re-read the codex and SMS doesn't need LOS, but still!

Last edited by Ni_rona; 02 Oct 2010 at 20:00.
Ni_rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2010, 20:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Talking

firstly they're 4 shots each and secondly the sms sustems don't need a los

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2010, 20:06   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

also, since burst cannons would shoot 6 times total (not TL on vehicles) and if the SMS only shoots 4 times though it may be TL, if you wanna lay down more firepower you'd want burst cannon. for range, you'd want SMS. although, of someone could figure out how many kills each would do, that may be able to squash this issue right now.
Old 02 Oct 2010, 20:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Depends what your shooting at mate.
Armadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2010, 21:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You have a post exactly like this here already the SMS is NOT twin linked period if you play like it's twin linked you are cheating and it fires four shots period not four shots each if your shooting 8 times from you SMS you are way way cheating so it is written so it IS.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2010, 23:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Lol I wish You can fire 8 shots instead though, xD
Armadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2010, 11:48   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

sorry i reposted, i couldn't find it. anywho, so it's 4 thots total regardless of whether it's on a broadside or a vehicle. gotcha. so it really is a matter of if you want more shots or more distance since strength and ap are the same. but say you are going against marines (since they and their equivalents are the most played), which would be a better option?
Old 03 Oct 2010, 13:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni_rona View Post
sorry i reposted, i couldn't find it. anywho, so it's 4 thots total regardless of whether it's on a broadside or a vehicle. gotcha. so it really is a matter of if you want more shots or more distance since strength and ap are the same. but say you are going against marines (since they and their equivalents are the most played), which would be a better option?
i don't tend to play hammerheads or skyrays but if i did i would use burst cannons for more shots since the vehicles can move up to 12 and still shoot provided you have a multitracker i think so that extra six is not THAT big in context of 30 vs 36 and the second big thing of los is also kinda self defeating particularly on a hammerhead because if your out of LOS you can't shoot your railgun which is the entire point of taking it (i'm assuming your firing at a horde here and want both weps on the same target since the hammerhead is generally an anti horde vehicle)

Not that big an issue on a skyray since their main weapon is fired or can be fired by pathfinders and also doesn't need LOS so being out of los is not that big a deal for them.

The biggest reason to take the SMS is not that it can be fired out of LOS or it has an extra 6 inch range it's that it can negate enemy cover oh your hiding behind a building or a tank etc see if i care psshhh missiles still get you.

This sort of thing will always be personal preference however so unless i'm missing something about the two weapon systems thats how it is.
Old 06 Oct 2010, 03:50   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

okay, new topic. twin linked flamers. i heard that against marines it works suprisingly well. so, what i wanna know is how many tactical marines would you kill if the template touched, say, 4 marines. keep in mind, i'm looking for average. or would i be better off with a different weapon. i guess what i wanna know is, what is the best anti-marine battlesuit configuration. ignoring vehicles. just wanna slaughter marines.
Old 06 Oct 2010, 16:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Dude if you wanna know this stuff your going to have to learn to mathhammer for yourself i don't think anyone here is willing to come in and just mathammer any scenario you want go to this link and learn

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Basics_of_Mathhammer

and what the best anti marine battlesuit is a matter of perspective/playstyle theres a lot more to it than it's statistically probability to kill for that the best basic suit without even having to mathammer is probably a plasma rifle flamer assuming you get four of five marines in that flame.

But you have to consider whats going to happen after your done shooting if you flame a pack of space marines and don't kill every single one of them guess whats going to happen your going to get assaulted assuming you even get close enough to do it in the first place same goes for fusion blasters and plasma rifles in rapid fire range.

there is no point killing a pile of space marines in a single turn if your killed the next or if you have to waste a turn of two getting into flamer/rapid fire range etc.

If your playing Space marines and want specific anti space marine suits the best two are fireknives and Helio's plasma rifle fusion blaster multi thats taking everything into account and from practical use and experience the fireknives for light tanks transports and space marines the helios for terminators and landraiders.

if you have a lot of points you could even make a pack of hellknives fusion/plama/missile pod with hardwired multi expensive but a virtual swiss army knife of space marine death.