Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fighting Orks?
Old 27 Sep 2010, 15:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to dahli.llama Send a message via Yahoo to dahli.llama
Default Fighting Orks?

I played against a friend's Ork list yesterday, and while it was a close game (came down to a single leadership test, that I failed) I did end up losing. I was able to cripple their mobility early, but the sheer number of orks was just too much for my army. By the end of it my army was pretty well wiped out and it was really a stretch to do anything.

I did make a few critical mistakes, like allowing a Warboss and boyz to get through my Kroot screen and assault my Broadsides, and probably some questionable target priority.

This is my list:

Commander Shas'el
Missile Pod
Plasma rifle
Multi-tracker
HW-Black Sun Filter

3 Crisis Shas'ui
3 Missile Pod
3 Plasma rifle
3 Multi-tracker

3 Crisis Shas'ui
3 Missile Pod
3 Plasma rifle
3 Multi-tracker

3 Crisis Shas'ui
3 Missile Pod
3 Plasma rifle
3 Multi-tracker

10 Kroot
5 Hounds

10 Kroot
5 Hounds

6 Fire Warriors

8 Pathfinders

Devilfish
Disruption Pod

Piranha Squad
Piranha with Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array, Disruption Pod
Piranha with Fusion Blaster

Piranha Squad
Piranha with Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array, Disruption Pod
Piranha with Fusion Blaster

3 Broadside Shas'ui
3 Targeting Array
Team Leader
HW Drone Controller
HW Target Lock
2 Shield Drones

Hammerhead
Railgun
Multi-tracker
Disruption Pod
Smart Missile System

Hammerhead
Railgun
Multi-tracker
Disruption Pod
Smart Missile System

His list (from memory):
Warboss & 10 'ard boyz in a truck
10 Nobs in a truck
2 sets of 20 boyz in battlewagons with deffrollas
2 squads of 6 Lootas
20 shoota boyz on foot
Looted Wagon
3 Deffkoptas
3 Warbuggies (1 rockit, 2 big shootas)

I stole the initiative and blasted both Battlewagons on the first turn. My Pirahnas, drones and Kroot were all used to block his movement, but eventually they did all die. The Hammerheads were decent with the blasts (never scattered, it was crazy), but he was able to get coversaves (my Pathfinders rarely hit more than twice).

I really just felt that I didn't have enough firepower. The bigger issue is that I want to run a balanced list that can deal with any army. Most of my other opponents are MEQs, so I really don't want to tailor my list for the Orks.

Beyond learning to target the correct unit each time and getting better use out of my Piranhas, is there any advice you could give for facing Orks? General strategies? I will try to get a full battle report with pictures posted sometime tonight to give a better feel for how the game progressed.

Thanks
Old 27 Sep 2010, 23:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You have all that?! What the hell went wrong?!? This will work perfectly, if infantry is most of your problems, put at least one XV8 team with twin linked burst cannons and a missle pod (with failsafe) to rush them, beleive it or not, it works nicely. Orks wear one of the weakest armors next to imperial guard flak, you can mow em' down easy. Now a basic strat that will help you alot, is very obvious. I can't stress this enough, Kroot aren't only meat sheild! Use them the way GW intends you and hints you to use them, for close combat. Firewarriors up front, tons of em' in one line, blast off fast attack enemies (like people with jetpacks) with longer ranged weapons like railguns, if them get close, use your firewarriors, if your sure that they are trying to get into combat, switch spots with the kroot that can wait no more than 6 inches away from you, that way you can shoot, then use meat that knows how to close combat. If you have as many people as you say, then you'll do great.

Last edited by Armadon; 27 Sep 2010 at 23:11.
Armadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2010, 01:09   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

You run a list that is very similar to what I run. Fireknife spam can be great, the only problem with it is that it's NOT too great at BS 3 because of the low amount of shots. So you do have a good quantity of shots, they're just not at a very good quality. If you want to run exclusively fireknives, I would give everyone who can take it a Targeting array. Which means your HQ and one Suit from each elite unit. Another option is to trade a unit of Piranhas for another unit of pathfinder.

And speaking of pathfinders, they work much better in units of just 5. It's point efficient.

You could also try to incorporate another favorite unit of my: the torch squad. Its a squad of twin-linked flamer plus missile pod. Thats it. You target tanks at the beginning, then go after the passengers inside of them. It works very well in an all comers list; because of the automatic hits and re-rolling wounds, it can even wipe out marines. And it's very cheap.

I also prefer to keep Broadsides in units of twos. That way you are not wasting a railgun shot on a tank that will already die anyways. My old set-up was 1 railhead and two units of 2 broadsides.

I can't really give you any specific tactics, like you said yourself, it all came down to one leadership test. And if you go in expecting to win EVERY game, then you'll be let down a whole lot. It's a game, just have fun. Win or lose, it sounded like a good, fun game.
plasmarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2010, 01:15   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

double post
Old 28 Sep 2010, 02:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to dahli.llama Send a message via Yahoo to dahli.llama

It was a good game. I really think it came down to a couple of key mistakes. Ultimately it just felt like I was shooting and shooting and shooting, and nothing was dying. I'm not really looking to change the list, just the tactics.

If you want to read the whole batrep, it's on my blog (link in sig).
Old 28 Sep 2010, 03:30   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ok. So I clicked your link and before getting very far into the bat rep, I saw the massive lack of cover on the board. The 40k rulebook states that about 25% of the board should have cover. Makes sure your opponents follow this to the tee.

If you can bottle neck your opponent to where only a few troops can get to you at a time, or where his tanks must drive through cover to be able to get to you, it is ENTIRELY to your advantage. T'au don't play well in wide open boards because the opponent can speed towards you that much quicker and get you in assault. Where you don't want to be.

Yes you were right about target priority issues. You usually want to try to get rid of the fastest units first. Battlewagons were good to knock out turn one, trying to get the lootas probably wasn't. A better way to deal with them might have been assaulting them with the drones from the piranhas.

Also, never take fire warriors out of their fish. Never ever. Or they die.

Great kroot by the way.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 18:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd recommend taking a Hq with the bodyguard and take advantage of their ability to hardwire their mulittrackers make them fireknives like you seem to favor but give them a backup flamer each it's not going to make much difference to you overall list point wise (an extra 14 points a piece if you lose another squad to make it) ability wise or strategy wise but you'll have a squad capable of dealing good anti horde damage if you need it.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2010, 00:43   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Personally when i played orks i had a broadside team, a vespid squad of six [including my strain leader] twelve fire warriors with pulse carbines,A gun drone squad of 7 that i deep striked and two hammerheads with my Shas'O Commander who hits on a 2+ basic with Iridium armor, and a shield Generator, its worth it, And a carbine squad would be helpfull, pinning man, and generally i will say Vespid save my ass all the time [a dummy of close combat if needed], and what i will say about your hammerheads is that you wont need the multi tracker as much as a Targetting array, i mean dude it upgrades BS by 1 for five Pts i find that really helpfull and awesome, another thing i used the points for their secondary weapon system on burst cannons and gun drones, generally cause the rail gun alone is a vehicle annihilator for me, just its the infantry after that annoy me, so a few extra shots are really handy for me.
And those Broadsides needed a Shas'Vre its an extra 5 points but its well spent, like the Shas'O but the Wargear i give a broadside team is a little less amount
Shas'vre x1 Shas'ui x2 Shield Generator x3
That's what my broadside team is basic.
Another thing is Fusion blasters, i always have in a crisis team either one or two, personally i love tank related games, more war-ish if you get me but anyways.
I hope that the game was fun i got beaten by Necrons the other day
I spent most of turn three making the person i played laugh xD
But seriously?, i think if you just need to vary your army every time, i made nine differant point sets today Nine!, just to vary my plans i even have one where i will rely on two elite teams for tank hunting o.o' I rely too heavily on heavy support mostly basicaly i want to vary my own tactic which i personally think everyone should do, when i go to club i see people use the same point set and have a practical same game person i know always uses a Land Raider redeemer, another always uses a Valkyrie anyways, fiddle around with your point set's and have a blast when you use them ;D

Last edited by WraithGem; 01 Oct 2010 at 00:46. Reason: Forgot to put in proper information.
WraithGem is offline   Reply With Quote