Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how u fight with tau
Old 23 Sep 2010, 19:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Talking how u fight with tau

hy all i have been thinking what do you people think is the best way to use Tau in a battle?
i personaly stay mobile and dony get bogged down killin guys that are meaningless in your attemt to win
any one got any other ideas?

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

Last edited by maddosammo; 23 Sep 2010 at 19:24.
maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2010, 20:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The best way has been proven time and again to be dual well defended firebases centered on broadsides with piranhas/kroot shielding and blocking backed up by long range suits i.e fireknives thats the best way hands down no discussion at least till a new codex.

something along these lines taken from tau of war.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ny_T2dQW3z...l+Firebase.JPG

However having said that i like to stay mobile too and have no less than 11 crisis suits in my army it's just more fun to play isn't it and lets face it tau are currently a mid tier army so no matter what you do your unlikely to win tournaments so have fun out there
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2010, 05:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I dunno, anything even remotely static typically tends to die from my history both personally and reading here. An ultra-mobile force maximizing transports, Hammerheads, Crisis/Stealth Suits seems to work very nicely but you *need* to keep every piece moving every turn.

Overall though the "best" way to play Tau is to plan for either Hybrid or Mobile and be prepared to modify your style to change to current conditions. Tau are a highly adaptable and difficult force but generally try the following if you're getting stuck:

-<1,500 points is a bit of a deathwish, you just don't have enough points for anti-tank AND objective holding
-Pathfinders are the best way to get markerlights cheaply, gives you a "free" transport
-Minimize Firewarrior squads if you need more suits/tanks
-Don't be afraid to go Elite heavy; the Tau through and through emphasize using Elite, specialized suits to do their work both in rules and in fluff
-Hammerheads and Piranhas are your best mobile bets for firepower
-Don't use Sniper Drones or Vespid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra&#39;Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2010, 12:39   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXX View Post
I dunno, anything even remotely static typically tends to die from my history both personally and reading here. An ultra-mobile force maximizing transports, Hammerheads, Crisis/Stealth Suits seems to work very nicely but you *need* to keep every piece moving every turn.

Overall though the "best" way to play Tau is to plan for either Hybrid or Mobile and be prepared to modify your style to change to current conditions. Tau are a highly adaptable and difficult force but generally try the following if you're getting stuck:

-<1,500 points is a bit of a deathwish, you just don't have enough points for anti-tank AND objective holding
-Pathfinders are the best way to get markerlights cheaply, gives you a "free" transport
-Minimize Firewarrior squads if you need more suits/tanks
-Don't be afraid to go Elite heavy; the Tau through and through emphasize using Elite, specialized suits to do their work both in rules and in fluff
-Hammerheads and Piranhas are your best mobile bets for firepower
-Don't use Sniper Drones or Vespid
Just wondering, I read alot (and repeatedly get told) that sniper drones are some of the best choice for a tau, but if all they have is rail rifles can't u just upgrade some pathfinders if you must, but in this case, why all the fuss about sniper drones???
Yru0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2010, 13:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Talking

i find that it's because you can have three squads of them as only one heavy support choice but many other people will/might say different

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2010, 17:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yru0 View Post
Just wondering, I read alot (and repeatedly get told) that sniper drones are some of the best choice for a tau, but if all they have is rail rifles can't u just upgrade some pathfinders if you must, but in this case, why all the fuss about sniper drones???
wow who are you talking to sniper drones are generally considered garbage like vespid by most people i talk to i don't hate any unit in the army and all have uses but sniper drones are not essential in any way.

best choice for a tau is undoubtedly broadsides i don't think anyone plays tau without some
Old 07 Nov 2010, 12:34   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The most nasty, any-thing-killing-thing is a BS Firing it's twin linked RR with a targeting array (10 p) If u have bad rolls and hard wired drone for free!! Then some shield drones and some kroot cover and nothing will live out in the open... If they start f#*^ing around with speed then drop a squad of Sunforge/stormsurge suits on them and by their turn they will have nothing to fight back with. Keep in mind if you do this to DE then YOU WILL DIE!! Other than that shoot them is a better option than slapping them
Old 07 Nov 2010, 13:34   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialnerd View Post

best choice for a tau is undoubtedly broadsides i don't think anyone plays tau without some
Agreed, well and truly, played a daemon army today and got slaughtered, only three things made it bearable, fire warrior staying in close combat for 3 turns, and broadside shooting a demon prince and soul grinder in the face strength 10 ap 1 satisfaction.
Old 07 Nov 2010, 13:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yru0 View Post
Agreed, well and truly, played a daemon army today and got slaughtered, only three things made it bearable, fire warrior staying in close combat for 3 turns, and broadside shooting a demon prince and soul grinder in the face strength 10 ap 1 satisfaction.
Yeah but the annoying thing about demon prince is their immune to instant death grrrr
Old 07 Nov 2010, 13:49   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialnerd View Post
Yeah but the annoying thing about demon prince is their immune to instant death grrrr
Yeah, I found that out only AFTER i did my victory dance, but a few salvos of pulse rifles and another railgun later, SUCCESS!!!