Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Sniper Question
Old 12 Sep 2010, 14:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Tau Sniper Question

Hey im a new player to tau and was wondering if you placed a unit of snipers in front of broadsides would the broadsides (A) get a 4+ cover save and (B) due to TLOS be able to fire back without giving away a 4+ cover save i ask since i'm hoping to do this instead of buying shield drones for the broadsides.

I'm hoping to make two such firebases so if you shoot at the snipers you have to contend with the stealth field and if you shoot at the broadsides you have the 4+ cover without any negatives or am i asking too much?

oh and for anyone who is wondering why i think the broadsides wouldn't give away a cover i'm hoping they can see over the snipers in the same way hammerheads can see over low cover like small trees due to it's height

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 12 Sep 2010 at 17:02.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2010, 17:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

soz no u couldnt because it is stated in the 40k rules

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2010, 18:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddosammo View Post
soz no u couldnt because it is stated in the 40k rules
Under what on what page etc it's not i don't believe you but where does it state that and what is the reason because i know you can do something very similar with stealth suits covering crisis suits though they do move around in order to avoid giving the enemy a 4+ cover save.

so if stealth suits can do what i want to do with snipers and hammerheads can us TLOS to shoot over things giving it a cover save what exactly is in breach of the rules my main concern here was mainly are broadsides tall enough to shoot over drones to be honest.

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 12 Sep 2010 at 19:51.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 06:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialnerd View Post
Under what on what page etc it's not i don't believe you but where does it state that and what is the reason because i know you can do something very similar with stealth suits covering crisis suits though they do move around in order to avoid giving the enemy a 4+ cover save.
it's the stealth suits stealth field generator and they're a jet pack model so they can move around that gives them them the save for other its in the tau codex it is specific u just need a bit of common scence

also the page number is on the armour save page not quite shore wat page it is
if it is not then i appologise for it

Sir winston Churchill

Last edited by maddosammo; 17 Sep 2010 at 06:49.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 06:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Talking

also buy the drones they have saved my back on several occasion

Sir winston Churchill

Old 18 Sep 2010, 09:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddosammo View Post
it's the stealth suits stealth field generator and they're a jet pack model so they can move around that gives them them the save for other its in the tau codex it is specific u just need a bit of common scence

also the page number is on the armour save page not quite shore wat page it is
if it is not then i appologise for it
well i guess i don't have that because i can't find any mention of stealth field generators on the armour save page and it's not specific in the codex either and you also seem to contradict yourself how does a stealth team do what i want to do and a sniper team ALSO equipped with a stealth field generator does not i know the stealth team is a jump pack model and can move (the snipers can move too just not shoot and move so if it's all about moving then snipers should be able to do it though since they can't shoot as well makes it a bit pointless and perhaps the reason noone seems to do it) thereby not giving away a cover save

what i want to know specifically is (A) does a unit equipped with a stealth field generator snipers or stealth suit confer a 4+ save to the unit behind it (the stealth suits seem to so why NOT the snipers) and (B) are broadsides able to see over snipers so they can shoot unobstructed like they can over kroot.

saying the stealth suits give a cover save and the snipers don't even though they have the same equipment that doesn't make any kind of sense.

even your statement doesn't seem to make much sense

"it's the stealth suit stealth field generator"

that does what give the stealth unit a save the unit behind it the save..what and the snipers have this too so anything it does for them surely it does for the snipers

"they're a jetpack model so they can move around that gives them the save"

what does this mean only units with a jetpack and field generator confer a save to units behind it how does the jetpack have any influence and what does it have to do with anything i'm asking please look at the questions i'm asking i know how the stealth suit crisis suit thing works assuming the stealth team successfully gives a cover save to the unit behind it and if it does why does the sniper team fail to do so.

"for others it's in the tau codex it's specific you just need a bit of common sense"

what others the sniper team and how is it specific i looked up stealth field generator the stealth suits and the sniper team the only thing i see is "the firing unit may however choose to ignore models equipped with stealth field generators and fire on a more distant target and in this case will not be required to to take a target priority test" if ignore means ignore as if they weren't there then they can't give a cover save stealth suits or sniper teams so how does the stealth team do it and the snipers cannot one being able to and the other not doesn't make sense are the guys doing it with stealth suits cheating?
Old 18 Sep 2010, 15:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Talking

no the stealth suits can move out of the way of the broadsides so that the enemy does not gain the 4+ cover save from fireing through an friendly unit and then in the assault phase, because of the jet packs they can move bac into the L.O.S of the enemy and broadside so the broadside then gets the 4+ cover save though is not required as the broaside has a 2+ aarmour save.

Sir winston Churchill

Old 18 Sep 2010, 15:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That has nothing to do with what i'm asking since stealth suits do it can i assume that snipers will give a 4+ cover save to my broadsides then i'll check the TLOS on the snipers myself please read posts before you reply.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 18:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

As far as I can tell yes you can use the sniperdrones/steath suits as an intervening unit and give other units behind them a 4+ cover save. However I'm not sure about how true LOS would be treated with braodsides. If your broadsides could shoot over the sniperdrones/stealth suits (and not give a 4+ cover save to the enemy) then I would assume most anyone can shoot over them to hit your broadsides, thus you'd get no cover save.

I'm going off of pg.22 of the rulebook, specifically "Firing through units or Area Terrain".

Personally though I consider it a pretty "jackass" tactic as your taking advantage of a loophole in the rules that only exist because it's an old codex not in line with the current rules system. If you don't care about being a jerk to your opponent and getting into rules arguments with them then by all means use it.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 19:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Talking

i know being able to see over them is a bit of a shady subject to say the least.it's also not good to get into a argument of rules with your apponant as in the rule book thr first rule is to have fun

Sir winston Churchill