Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Sniper Question
Old 18 Sep 2010, 20:38   #11 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

please read the reply below ur 1

Also u say ur a knew Tau player i'm a vetran at Tau and I know wat im talking about, also thought u where asking for help as u r a new player to Tau and again i appologise if im wrong and ur not but thats what it sounds like.u have asked fo help and i gave it too you you can choose to take it if you want to or not it's up to you. i doesn't affect me if u acept it or not.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

Last edited by maddosammo; 18 Sep 2010 at 20:51. Reason: needed to add somethng extra
maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2010, 20:48   #12 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange View Post
As far as I can tell yes you can use the sniperdrones/steath suits as an intervening unit and give other units behind them a 4+ cover save. However I'm not sure about how true LOS would be treated with braodsides. If your broadsides could shoot over the sniperdrones/stealth suits (and not give a 4+ cover save to the enemy) then I would assume most anyone can shoot over them to hit your broadsides, thus you'd get no cover save.

I'm going off of pg.22 of the rulebook, specifically "Firing through units or Area Terrain".

Personally though I consider it a pretty "jackass" tactic as your taking advantage of a loophole in the rules that only exist because it's an old codex not in line with the current rules system. If you don't care about being a jerk to your opponent and getting into rules arguments with them then by all means use it.
Thanks for the reply i appreciate the candidness and specificness of your post the thing about people being able to shoot over the sniper drones to hit my broadsides would be false however as only half a unit must be in cover in fact according to page 22 it would be ok if they were completely visible provided they were between the gaps of the front unit they would gain the 4+ save.

As for it being a "jackass" tactic and a "loophole" thats a matter of opinion a lot of commanders of a lot of armies use intervening models for cover most commonly tanks and other vehicles i dare say you even do this and a lot of tau commanders use the stealth field advantage afforded to them using the stealth suits crisis suit formations spoken of earlier.

i personally wouldn't consider it a jackass tactic just exploiting a natural tau advantage however i certainly don't want to get into rules arguments thats why i'm asking about it here to see if i get a definitive answer of whether it works or not i suppose i'll have to ask about it form senior refs at tournies beforehand to hear their ruling on it i'm going to pick up a sniper team soon and check the TLOS of broadsides to see if the rail guns will shoot over my guess is they will as their quite high on the models and the SMS will definitely shoot over since they fire upward and come back down even bypassing opponents cover unless their actually in cover like a building.

so once again thank you for the frank reply.

also since your such a frank guy heres a suggestion i got from another board which is most definitly taking advantage of a loophole i'd like to hear your opinion on it

"Something I have just thought of ~ perhaps good and perhaps situational.

3 Broadsides. 15 Kroot. Kroot form a ring around the Broadsides but have the majority of the Kroot behind the BS.
Kroot give cover to BS. BS give cover to Kroot as 50% of the Kroot are in cover.
BBB pg 22/3

That will give your Kroot *better* saves than Fire Warriors and mean that the BS will have a 4++ against better than ap3 shooting.
Shield drones only last so long you know!

I know Blast weapons make this not a universal application but not everyone brings them....
What do people think of that?

Then when the baddies get too close, engage them with the Kroot
BA Vanguard won't be able to assault your BS on the drop either "

in theory i see nothing wrong with this and it does conform to the rules technically at least.

@Madd i am a new player and i thought i was asking a simple enough question though admittedly a technical one in nature your replies were very vague and had little to do with what i was asking though i appreciate your attempts they were very shoddy and unhelpful and though i'm sure you generally know what your talking about it doesn't seem to be the case here or could you actually attempt to answer the question i am asking

(A) does a stealth unit give the unit behind it a cover save yes or no

(B) Using TLOS rules could a broadside be tall enough to see over the sniper drone team thus having a clear line of fire and NOT give away a cover save to the unit the broadside is firing upon. yes or no

if you want to add your opinions about whether i should use this tactic or not feel free but A and B is what i'm asking about and want to know the answer to.

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 18 Sep 2010 at 21:12.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2010, 07:37   #13 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

hey, just throwin in my two cents, sniper team would give broadsides a cover save because theyre infantry but theyd be shootin at mainly armour which need to b 50% obscured and dont follow the same rules for cover.
Taulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2010, 16:57   #14 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taulie View Post
hey, just throwin in my two cents, sniper team would give broadsides a cover save because theyre infantry but theyd be shootin at mainly armour which need to b 50% obscured and dont follow the same rules for cover.
Broadsides and snipers are both considered infantry....ohhhh you mean the broadsides are going to be shooting at armour hmmm good point i think that works in the taus favour though wouldn't it i don't have any snipers yet nut i'm pretty sure i could arrange them to make sure they don't obscure 50% of the enemy armour

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 22 Sep 2010 at 18:44.
Old 20 Oct 2010, 15:42   #15 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I agree with the original idea... It's a bit like if I can't see you you can't see me...
Your can shoot through a minute crack in paintball and it does not benefit them but they cannot shoot back? So why is it any different in this situation, your drones are the bunker and your broadside is shooting through the crack!

But WTF is the point of giving the Broadside a 4+ save when it has 2+ armor unless it gets close to rending or ap1 weps which is a bad place for tau in any situation...
Old 20 Oct 2010, 16:57   #16 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1k3sz View Post
But WTF is the point of giving the Broadside a 4+ save when it has 2+ armor unless it gets close to rending or ap1 weps which is a bad place for tau in any situation...
Ap2 will cut through 2+ armour so a situation where your broadsides are facing a lot of that turn 1 is common for example an imperial guard lascannon heavy team gunline.

i'll be creating a list based on this idea and getting some snipers and try to implement it and see what reaction/flak i get for it at my local gameclub