Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Equipping your commander
Closed Thread
Old 27 Jul 2005, 19:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1
Default Equipping your commander

I'm planning on getting a Commander for my Army since I only have an Ethereal, and I was wondering what is the best way to equip the Commander?

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

Old 27 Jul 2005, 19:48   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Equipping your commander

It depends on what you want to use him for, to give the cheap answer.* ** Practically, I would build him so that you can switch his equipment around for different battles (magnets or pins).* I almost always field mine in Fireknife configuration, just because close-ranged configurations sacrifice his IC protection and the various twin-linked configurations are wasted on a high-BS model.*

There are a number of good threads on this, so I would have a go with the search engine.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 19:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd say keep him as a shas'el, and go with a plasma-based configuration of some sort.

Plasma/missile pod/ multi-tracker is probably the most common....it's cheap, versatile and effective. *You can twin-link your favorite (plasma for me) and hard-wire the multi. *Increases effectiveness in your chosen weapon, so he'll be a little more specialized...means you'll need to be more careful with his use to ensure you're getting the most out of him, but when in his "zone" he'll do much better.

You could pair the plasma with a fusion blaster, too. *It's a bit more risky, I think, with its short range, but does add a little more "punch" to threaten advancing marines, vehicles, etc.

Look at what role you envision your commander taking (long-range, accurate fire support; mobile counter-advance support; etc), and tool him with the appropriate goodies.

And I agree...magnets are always a smart move.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 20:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

But are magnets allowed? I always thought everything had to be glued on to play in official tournaments.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 20:24   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Burst Cannon, Fusion Blaster, Shield Generator and HW multi-tracker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 27 Jul 2005, 20:28   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I usually take two 'el:s with linked plasma, missiles and HW-MT. Sometimes one of them is an 'el with plasma, fusion, missiles and HW-MT if I don't have a clue to what I'll face, but 'nids or marines are a possibility. Just to max-out the 2+ weaponry.

What is the point in linking weapons on high BS models? :P Come on Khanaris, BS4 only has a hitrate of 66% while when linked it is about 89%. The effectiveness of linking becomes particularly apparent when using weapons that fire more than one shot, plasma and missiles come into mind. Since i only field 2 crisis, most of time, I really want them to hit.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 20:29   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Behemoth
But are magnets allowed? I always thought everything had to be glued on to play in official tournaments.
Why would anyone care how the weapons are fitted to the suit as long as they are WYSIWYG?
Old 27 Jul 2005, 20:49   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuggeN
I usually take two 'el:s with linked plasma, missiles and HW-MT. Sometimes one of them is an 'el with plasma, fusion, missiles and HW-MT if I don't have a clue to what I'll face, but 'nids or marines are a possibility. Just to max-out the 2+ weaponry.

What is the point in linking weapons on high BS models? :P Come on Khanaris, BS4 only has a hitrate of 66% while when linked it is about 89%. The effectiveness of linking becomes particularly apparent when using weapons that fire more than one shot, plasma and missiles come into mind. Since i only field 2 crisis, most of time, I really want them to hit.
Well put it this way. For Pulse Rifle and Missile Pod: Do you want two shots hitting at 89% (1.78) or four shots hitting at 66% (2.64)? Regular Crisis get a boost from 50% to 75%, which is a great deal. Shas'O only get a bonus from 83% to 97%, which is a terrible deal. Twin-linking costs you both points and firepower on a model with a BS higher than 3.* I would recommend it only if you nothing else to fill that third hardpoint with.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 21:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by korik1
I'm planning on getting a Commander for my Army since I only have an Ethereal, and I was wondering what is the best way to equip the Commander?
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...4205#msg144205

Check that link for some more information. But in short, as everyone else has explained, your Commander should reflect what you want him to accomplish. Otherwise, take a versatile Commander for an 'all-comer' approach. However personally, I'd recommend making him good at one thing, and using him just for that so that you get the most out of him.

Cheers!
Old 27 Jul 2005, 21:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Burst cannon, plasma rifle and fusion gun with hardwired multi tracker.