Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My Tau army i use for 1,000-1,200 point armys, is it worth it?
Old 18 Aug 2010, 22:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default My Tau army i use for 1,000-1,200 point armys, is it worth it?

OK i use the following
36 Fire warriors 360 points
6 Per Squad one Shas'ui per team Extra 60 points
One hammerhead gunship 90 points
rail gun and two drones 20+70 points (90)
One Shas'Vre broadside battlesuit 80 points
Armed with iridium armor 20 points
A Shas'el commander suit 50 points
Air bursting fragmentation launcher 20 points
Flamer 4 points
Iridium armor 20 points
Shield Generator 20 points
Two crisis battle suits in a separate team
Shas'ui x2 25+25 (50 points)
Misslepods x2 20+20 (40 points)
Plasma rifle 20 points
Fusion blaster 12 points

A Marker drone for one fire warrior team 10 points
A devilfish 80 points
Two seeker missiles 10+10 (20 points)

The broadside suit with a failsafe detonator 15 points

Also including these i have one ethereal, commander Farsight, a vespid strain, a piranha, and 3 Pathfinders (I was dumb and got a splinter pack I'm getting another in a few weeks)

Any advice would be much appreciated,
Endyries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2010, 01:54   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: My Tau army i use for 1,000-1,200 point armys, is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endyries
OK i use the following
36 Fire warriors points
6 Per Squad one Shas'ui per team Extra points
One hammerhead gunship points
rail gun and two drones
One Shas'Vre broadside battlesuit points
Armed with iridium armor points
A Shas'el commander suit points
Air bursting fragmentation launcher points
Flamer points
Iridium armor points
Shield Generator points
Shas'ui x2
Misslepods x2
Plasma rifle
Fusion blaster

A Marker drone for one fire warrior team points
A devilfish points
Two seeker missiles

The broadside suit with a failsafe detonator points

Also including these i have one ethereal, commander Farsight, a vespid strain, a piranha, and 3 Pathfinders (I was dumb and got a splinter pack I'm getting another in a few weeks)

remove those point totals. Those are not allowed. We know how much those things cost.
Theprof00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2010, 02:10   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

secondly, what other units do you have?

You want to cut down on fire warriors.
If you have the SMS upgrade for the devilfish, take that instead of two firewarriors, they are the same price.
get rid of the iridium armor upgrade for the shas'vre. It limits movement on the entire squad.
Also, you can only take one special issue wargear per ARMY. Not per unit. you have 2 iridium armors listed, which are special issue.
Also, a broadside should always take advanced stabilizers so that it can move and shoot.
On the commander, remove the shield generator and iridium. Instead add a burst cannon (frag projector and burst cannon are both range 18", so they complement each other). I understand the reason for flamer, but you should consider a plasma rifle. Also, add a multitracker, which lets you fire 2 weapons at the same time, and add a hard-wired drone controller and take a shield drone., it's 5 points cheaper than the shield generator and does the same thing just about.
Also, you could give him the stimulant injector if you wish, which let's you reroll wounds, discarding them if you roll a 4+.
Crisis suits:
Crisis suits MUST take 3 weapon or support systems. Add a multitracker to each of them to allow them to fire both weapons. I assume the setups are plasma rifle+missile pod, and plasma rifle and fusionblaster.

Seeker missiles aren't very useful on a devilfish. Put it on the piranha and use that as well. It should have fusion blasters. Give all your shas'ui firewarriors markerlights. But you can't move them if you want to shoot the markerlights.
Your hammer head and devilfish should have disruption pods.
I don't understnad your points setup for the hammerhead. Yes the base price is correct, but the rail is not 70 pts. And don't take the drones. Take the cheapest option...(i think it's two burst cannons for 10)
A markerdrone is 3 times the price you listed.
Also failsafe etonator is completely useless.

Theprof00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2010, 20:36   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I have some krrot that are un-made An Xv-9 battlesuit Soon a xv88-2 broadside suit, Vespids one squad, A stealth team, A pirahna that is unfinished, And a Barracuda on my shelf.
Endyries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2010, 08:42   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endyries
OK i use the following
36 Fire warriors 360 points
6 Per Squad one Shas'ui per team Extra 60 points
One hammerhead gunship 90 points
rail gun and two drones 20+70 points (90)
One Shas'Vre broadside battlesuit 80 points
Armed with iridium armor 20 points
A Shas'el commander suit 50 points
Air bursting fragmentation launcher 20 points
Flamer 4 points
Iridium armor 20 points
Shield Generator 20 points
Shas'ui x2 25+25 (50 points)
Misslepods x2 20+20 (40 points)
Plasma rifle 20 points
Fusion blaster 12 points

A Marker drone for one fire warrior team 10 points
A devilfish 80 points
Two seeker missiles 10+10 (20 points)

The broadside suit with a failsafe detonator 15 points

first the marker drone is 10 points because it is with a fire team.(READ THE CODEX).
Marker drones and markerlights in general are one of the really useful tools, considering its the only way this army works together
The fire warriors are a good main infantry so i don't see why you wouldn't want a bulk supply of them. I would put 12 in a squad but i guess it doesn't matter to much. Also use mostly pulse rifles because of the 30" range, pulse carbines are good for slowing down units that are coming in for the assault because they pin. Kroot are your best counter for assaulting units, They are also useful for outflanking having 20 kroot and 12 hounds in a squad, 32 models coming in on a flank can not be ignored. The points on the hammerhead are wrong the railgun is an extra 50 points and if your going to spend the extra 20 points on gundrones forget it and get SMS more range, heavy 4 and ignores line of sight. The broadside is fine, it really comes down to your enemy. the hammerhead has the mobility where the broadside has the firepower with its twin-linked railguns. i would add the twinlinked plasma rifles for 10 points, so its not completely helpless once the enemy gets with in 24".
Your HQ choice is fine i like the shield drones more because they get the same toughness and armor save as the individual they accompany. The flamer is alright but its str 4 where you could have a plasma rifle at str 6 or missile pod at 7. And the stim injector is nice because it gives you feel no pain.

The best way to learn is to just play and figure out what went wrong. For example first time i played i used the fail-safe detonator and kill more of my own guys. That all my advice for now
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2010, 20:30   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

as said above cut down the number of fire warriors and the irridum armour,tau benifit from good movement the old phrase shoot and skot,keep everything light and mobile markerlights are very good as are the seekers they guide so get a few of these in if you can,and a etheral with shield drones and firewarrior honour guard is a good way to get bs4 fw and if you use a markerlight bs5 fw cant get better than that......

Facebook group for 40k fans
Alrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2010, 22:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'd say keep the firewarriors. Give each 6 man fireteam some Gun Drones so you can delegate wounds. Give the Shas'ui Team Leaders wach a markerlight and give the marker drone to the broadsides.

Also, Iridium armor is a special issue item, meaning only ONE crisis or broadside can take it. Leave it with the hq. Broadsides get a 2+ armor save anyways so giving them the iridium is completely pointless.

For the normal crisis team, you'll want to do a few things:
1) Give them a better spread of weapons. Your list of weapons on the suits was a little vauge... does each have 2 Missle Pods and then either a fusion or plasma? Or is there a total of 2 Missle Pods, 1 fusion, and 1 plasma? Either way, you'll want to take a set up more like this: Suit 1 (shield gen, plasma, missle pod) Suit 2 (sheild gen, plasma, fusion). and soon you'll want another suit so that Suit 3 (shield gen, plasma, burst cannon).
2) Make one of the suits in the team a Shas'vre Team Leader so that you can take the previously stated spread of weapons plus HW multi tracker, HW target lock, and a targeting array. That how I feild my suits, and they are da bawm.

For the broadsides, you want the same thing as #2 says above.
Make sure all your suits have a shield gen!! They WILL be the object of your opponents heavest fire, and you dont want them to die.

Dont designate the devilfish untill youve got your pathfinders ready to feild. The pathfinders must have a devilfish to be playable and they are really good. Seeker missle are good... Give the devilfish and the hammerhead a targeting array, flechette dischargers and a disruption pod.

You cant feild an ethereal/kroot/vespids and Commander Farsight at the same time, just fyi.

Other than that it looks like a good list.

Yelman is offline   Reply With Quote