Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My first 500pt Tau Army!
Old 16 Aug 2010, 13:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default My first 500pt Tau Army!

Hi everyone.
I don't know if this is the right place on the forum for such a thing? But if it isen't i am sorry and please direct me to the right place

Anyway. I am a Beginner to the game of Warhammer 40k and i have chosen Tau as my Army
Ive read the rules as well as i could and i think i have a pretty good knowlage of the game so far and how to make a properly 500pt army and so i have. This is my first 500pt Army.

21x Fire Warrior's
2x XV8 Crises Battlesuit
4x Pathfinders
1x Metal shield drone
1X HQ XV8 Crises Battlesuit commander

Setup:

Troops: 9x Fire Warrior Team 1xShas'ui
Troops: 10x Fire Warrior Team 1xShas'ui
Elites: 4x Pathfinders with Shas'ui and 3x rail rifles and a Metal Shield drone
Elites: 2x XV8 Crises Battlesuit's with 2x Plasma 1x burst cannon 1x flamer 2x multi tracker
HQ: 1x XV8 Crises Battlesuit commander with Plasma and Burst Canon and multi trakcer

(Dunno if it is written correctly?)

I think this is a pretty as an Army so far! And i would like to ask you more experienced players of Warhammer 40k what you think of it? And if you have a suggestion of how to improve my army or tactics how to play them it would be great! I Joined this forum for a purpose to learn of more experienced players so please say what you have on your mind

Oh btw. My first game is with a friend at the end of the month and he has chosen to play as Space Marine's (We both decided to start this hobby together) So if you some specific tactics or ideas how i could make his Marine's into cannon fodder it would be great!

Well that's it thank you for your time

No conquest without control.

Pursue success in serenity.

And service to the tau'va.
XV8 Crises Battlesuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2010, 15:54   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: My first 500pt Tau Army!

I'm pretty sure you are over, point wise. unless:
Did you make the FW shas'ui's leaders? If not, it's pointless to have shas'ui. Only reason to have a shas'ui is to have a leader that can take a bonding knife.
Also, which HQ did you use, shas'el or shas'O?

Additionally, it's not just that your points don't add up. In order to take pathfinders you MUST take a devilfish. You just have to. It's a rule. Otherwise, pathfinders are very overpowered for their price.

Something else you should know. Pathfinder rail rifle guys are pretty useless compared to the regular ones. Regular ones are nearly half the price and have markerlights, whereas rail rifles don't have them.

If you don't have a devilfish, do this.
Remove the pathfinders.
Split the FWs up. You have 21 FWs. Make 3 squads of 7 FWs, give them leaders (which makes them all shas'ui as well) Give them bonding knives, target locks and markerlights. Put these guys behind cover, preferably one that gives them perfect line of sight, but covers them up a bit.
Use the leader to try and markerlight units that the crisis suits will attack, in order to give them a higher ballistics skill. The rest of the FW squad can shoot something else, but don't move them otherwise they can't shoot the markerlight.

The crisis suits seem to be set up properly.
Give the commander 2 shield drones. They don't have to be metal. Just give them drones that don't have guns on them. Or even just 2 little markers to show that they are there. The commander can join the crisis suit units, granting them the shield protection as well. If anyone gets close, seperate the units in the movement hase to make sure you don't get assaulted together.

Theprof00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2010, 20:34   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theprof00

Something else you should know. Pathfinder rail rifle guys are pretty useless compared to the regular ones. Regular ones are nearly half the price and have markerlights, whereas rail rifles don't have them.
I must respectfully disagree. Rail rifle pathfinders are not useless, especially against armor 3 armies. The marklights that you can put in a pathfinder squad along with the 3 rail rifles is awesome. Equipped correctly(shas'ui with Hard wired drone controller with two marker drones, 4 marklight armed pathfinders and 3 rail rifle armed pathfinders) you can have 3 marklights on one target, 4 marklights on another, and then the 3 rail rifles can chose to fire at a unit you're trying to mark or pick a unit of it's own. and those rifles can use the drones marklights to make them hit more reliably. granted you have to have a devilfish to take pathfinders at all. At which point this unit becomes too many points for a 500pt game.

I personally would do away with the elite crisis suits and make them bodyguards for the commander. Two reasons, first they can get hard wired gear so you can increase there BS and have them fire two weapons, Second it gives your commander protection and increased firepower. It limits your versatility some in having all your crisis suits in one unit but makes them more survivable. In a 500pt game you want units that can bring the pain quickly and survive the counter command with bodyguard is that unit.

Three squads of fire warrors would be good. You need troops to take objectives but making them smaller makes them more fragile so you have to move them more carefully.

As a general rule I put Bonding knives on every unit. Just in case, and it has actually saved my bacon a number of times.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 20:50   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

No my points are correct it's 498pt. But i see i made a mistake. I miscalculated about the Pathfinders with Rail Rifles it cost 10pt extra to equip a pathfinder with it so if i take them away it will match.
And as for your question my HQ is a Shas'el
And my Fire Teams Shas'ui are leader i already counted in the extra 10pt cost!.

And i didn't know about the Devilfish so thank you for the heads up! Just a shame i can't take the Pathfinders with me! I find the insanely Awesome!

But are pathfinders with rail rifles that useless? I mean they got a range of 36, pinning, and don't they have bonus against infantry? It's what Ive been told thou
And isn't Rail Rifles far more Superior then ordinary pulse carbines?

But thank you for your suggestion of how to change my army now that i can't have my pathfinders and that i could divide my FW into 3groups! And how to improve them on the battlefield and give my crises battlesuits a boost with markerlights!

Yeah my first idea was to give my commander some drones as well for he felt rather vulnerable just alone so it's good the extra pt is available now.

And as Si1entman said. It's gonna be way to expensive to play with Pathfinders at 500pt so ill wait until 1000pt games or ma by 1.500pt
But wouldn't it be better if i separate all the Crises Battlesuits so they get a larger area to suppress from? I mean the HQ got 2drones for protection and the other two Crises Battlesuits can be near some a squad each and fast take out any enemy who is trying to get close with the backup of the squad and thus no need for bonding knifes? This sound pretty good in theory but i can ques it's not in practice but just wanted to throw out a suggestion But bonding knife to all 3 squads doesn't that get too expensive?

No conquest without control.

Pursue success in serenity.

And service to the tau'va.
XV8 Crises Battlesuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2010, 00:39   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

To answer both, look at it this way.
For 12 points less,(actually much cheaper considering the devilfish), of 3 rail rifles total cost, you can take 3 vespids, which can move and shoot, have a stronger gun, same ballistics skill, move 12", can CC compared to a pathfinder, and deep-strike.

Now ask me if vespids are any good.
Now think about this:
You take three rail rifles. giving you an extra 3 S6A3 shots.
Instead, you could have taken 3 firewarriors, twinlinked all you plasma rifles on your crisis suits, and gotten 3 markerlights in the process.

What makes more sense: +3 S6A3 shots? Or twinlinking 3 S6A2 shots on top of 3 markerlights?
Keep in mind that A2 will take out termies and negate feel no pain for blood angels or anything similar. On top of that, you still can shoot the carbines if you need to move.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 03:05   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theprof00
To answer both, look at it this way.
For 12 points less,(actually much cheaper considering the devilfish), of 3 rail rifles total cost, you can take 3 vespids, which can move and shoot, have a stronger gun, same ballistics skill, move 12", can CC compared to a pathfinder, and deep-strike.

Now ask me if vespids are any good.
Now think about this:
You take three rail rifles. giving you an extra 3 S6A3 shots.
Instead, you could have taken 3 firewarriors regular pathfinders, twinlinked all you plasma rifles on your crisis suits, and gotten 3 markerlights in the process.

What makes more sense: +3 S6A3 shots? Or twinlinking 3 S6A2 shots on top of 3 markerlights?
Keep in mind that A2 will take out termies and negate feel no pain for blood angels or anything similar. On top of that, you still can shoot the carbines if you need to move.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 16:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XV8 Crises Battlesuit
but are Pathfinders with rail rifles that useless?
Not at all! As was previously stated, you need to mix the markerlights and rail rifles in every Pathfinder Team. The markerlights can to a number on ANY units. Last game I plaied, by Pathfinders droped to War Walkers by themselves. In my opinion, you should use at least two markerlights to complement the rail rifles (if both hit, you can add one to the Pathfinders BS and subtract one from the enemies cover save. Granted, if they arnt in cover, that is pointless) the other four markerlights can go to units that your firewarriors or suits are going to shoot at.

Of course, you need a devilfish to feild them. I sugest you get a devilfish

Also, as the sio't teaches us, "there is strength in numbers, but victory in wisdom." meaning simpily, Divide and Conquer. If you have 21 FW, make 3 Teams of 7, not two uneaven teams. Give the Teams two gun drones and a shas'ui Team Leader with a markerlight, multi tracker, and HW drone controler. There are plenty of ways to use a fireteam set up as such, and it would take far to much time to explain.

The best advice I can give you is to play often, learn from your mistakes, and create your own tactics as you go. Asking other people for the anwsers is just no fun!
Yelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2010, 21:49   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by XV8 Crises Battlesuit

But wouldn't it be better if i separate all the Crises Battlesuits so they get a larger area to suppress from? I mean the HQ got 2drones for protection and the other two Crises Battlesuits can be near some a squad each and fast take out any enemy who is trying to get close with the backup of the squad and thus no need for bonding knifes? This sound pretty good in theory but i can ques it's not in practice but just wanted to throw out a suggestion But bonding knife to all 3 squads doesn't that get too expensive?
It's 20 point out of 500 and as long as the guy with the bonding knife is alive they can regroup and troops will be scoring. 1 guy flag cap. > CC isn't the only place were leadership test happen so 5 points a unit is worth it. Especially against a marine player who can do the same thing but gets full movement after.(you only get the standard 3" consolidation move).

Yes, having two units of crisis suits can cover more of the table. But you are playing a 500pt game and separate they can't kill a unit as readily as together. Massed firepower is hard to beat.

But play them how you want, it is supposed to be about having fun with friends so go in there with that on the fore-front of you mind and it should be a good game.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 22:51   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I've been putting together some sample 500 point army lists to teach a couple friends how to play. I got around to building a Tau list today and then stumbled across this forum. Anyway, I'm wondering how my list compares to a list like the one above. Maybe I invested too many points into my commander and body guard. Any advice would be appreciated.

1 Commander Shas'o (XV 89 Variant) (HQ) @ 265 Pts
Airburst Frag Projector; Cyclic Ion Blaster; Shield Generator
Hard-wired multi-tracker [5]
Stimulant Injector [10]
Hard-wired target lock [5]

1 Bodyguard Shas'vre @ [90] Pts
Burst Cannon; Missile Pod; Targeting Array
Iridium Armour [20]

8 FireWarrior Team (Troops) @ 80 Pts
Pulse Rifle (x6); Pulse Carbine (x2)

1 Broadside Battlesuit Team (Heavy Support) @ 75 Pts
Smart Missile System; TL Railgun; Multi-Tracker

Models in Army: 19

Total Army Cost: 500
Dalren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2010, 17:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalren
I've been putting together some sample 500 point army lists to teach a couple friends how to play. I got around to building a Tau list today and then stumbled across this forum. Anyway, I'm wondering how my list compares to a list like the one above. Maybe I invested too many points into my commander and body guard. Any advice would be appreciated.

1 Commander Shas'o (XV 89 Variant) (HQ) @ 265 Pts
Airburst Frag Projector; Cyclic Ion Blaster; Shield Generator
Stimulant Injector [10]
Hard-wired target lock [5]

1 Bodyguard Shas'vre @ [90] Pts
Burst Cannon; Missile Pod; Targeting Array
Iridium Armour [20]

1 Broadside Battlesuit Team (Heavy Support) @ 75 Pts
Smart Missile System; TL Railgun; Multi-Tracker

Models in Army: 19

Total Army Cost: 500
Looks good in my opinion, but I'd make the bodyguard a general Xv8 battlesuit. Make it a shas'vre and you'll get the same effect but you can fire at different targets and move them differently. You could also still move it with your HQ choice if you wanted.

There may be too many points into your HQ for 500 points and I'm not sure if it's legal.

Please take a look at this thread !!!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,98302.0.html
xenoscd is offline   Reply With Quote