Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

So I bought some Vespids...
Old 07 Aug 2010, 20:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default So I bought some Vespids...

Despite all common sense and decency, I bought a box of the little bugs (I had to, they were at 50% discount).

So what to do with them? I realize they aren't that great (to put it mildly) but what's the best use of them? I'd like to hear from people who have actually used them and what their experiences were...
Backfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2010, 22:22   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: So I bought some Vespids...

They have skilled flyer, make use of it. And hope your opponent doesn't look at them funny or they might just fall over.
FADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2010, 11:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes they aren't the strongest but in my experiance they can prove very useful. Don't forget that their weapon is a str6 ap3 weapon, which is great for stopping marines getting a save.

I like to utilise cover keeping them out of sight then when an opportunity arises, pop out and take 4-8 marines. (i take them as a squad to ten btw) for less than 170 points i think they're a bit of a bargain, when you consider the cost of xv25's for example.
Vs Orks: W4 L1 D1
Vs Eldar: W3 L1 D0

Tyranids Record
Vs Space Marines: W7 L1 D1
Vs Orks: W5 L2 D2
mixer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2010, 15:37   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I personally LOVE! these little flying buggers! I find they work so well against marines as they can deep strike in behind cover, jump out (12" movement!!!), blast a couple down with no save and then survive a turn or two in combat. >

Just my thoughts though lol
Commander Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2010, 17:39   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

One thing you might want to consider is taking a squadron of gun drones to tag along with them. Use the drones as a screen for the vespids.

They start off looking like this.
[Each - is 1 inch]

Drones
-
-
Vespids

Then when you move them, vespids move 12 and drones only move 6.
-Vespids
-
-
-Drones
-
-
-
-
-
-[Drones where here]
-
-
-[Vespids were here]

Vespids take their big shoot, which will ignore armor. Drones take theirs, which Marines would get an armor save from anyway, so it doesnt matter that they get cover, then in the assult move.

-Drones
-
-
-Vespids
-
-
-[Drones where here during shooting]
-
-
-
-
-
-[Drones where here]
-
-
-[Vespids were here]

So the Vespids are still screened from assults, and get a +4 cover save against shooting.

Is this expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? I don't know, I don't even own Vespids! But, I've been thinking about this for a while. Try it out, tell us what you think.
Valadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2010, 01:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That would work, excpet the Codex states that any drones attached to any unit move as the unit. Aka, if I put drones with some crisis, the crisis take thier cool jet pack move, then the drones arnt left behind but dragged along with suits (in order to make sure unit coherency is maintained, I guess).

In short, the drones would take the same 12 inch move as the Vespids.
Yelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2010, 01:53   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelman
That would work, excpet the Codex states that any drones attached to any unit move as the unit. Aka, if I put drones with some crisis, the crisis take thier cool jet pack move, then the drones arnt left behind but dragged along with suits (in order to make sure unit coherency is maintained, I guess).

he means take a squad of gun drones on their own. Gun drones fulfill a fast attack slot. I think it's 4-8 drones per squad or something.
Theprof00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2010, 05:49   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theprof00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelman

he means take a squad of gun drones on their own. Gun drones fulfill a fast attack slot. I think it's 4-8 drones per squad or something.
This is correct.
Valadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2010, 13:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, I was refering to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valadon
Then when you move them, vespids move 12 and drones only move 6.
And saying that the drones accually take a 12 inch move.
Yelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2010, 16:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No drones have jetpacks so they move like crisis suits his right six in movement six in assault.

Though the way i use Vespids is fly them up into cover somewhere in the middle use a broadside to pop an incoming transport marker the marines that fall out use the vespids to wipe them out you can then assault IF some survive and with higher init you should kill the last few stragglers without taking casualties though obviously only do this if the spot isn't too exposed unless you can screen them with a tank or drones or something..and repeat now thats teamwork