Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ion Cannon
Old 01 Jul 2010, 20:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Ion Cannon

Can anyone tell me the usage of Ion Cannon? I cant find any place or reason to use it.
cibili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 21:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp
Default Re: Ion Cannon

There arnt many, but there are a few situations that it works better than the rail gun.

The first is vs TMCs these guys die quick fast and in a hurry when you point an ioncannon that them. It wounds on 2+ most of the time, and deletes thier save, making it a very good weapon to combat nid zilla lists with.

Its also solid vs marines, as it deletes thier armor. However it usually does just as much damage as the railguns pie plate, so vs them its really personal preferance.

My favorite use is hunting eldar vehicles with it. It is actually better at taking them down as it put out more shots than the railgun, so as to bypass things like holot fields.
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 21:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i find them much more useful against monstrous creatures. haven't thought of holo fields but can work too.

Click to join the Movement
salamut2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 21:55   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

There are honestly a MYRIAD of uses for it. Eric touched on my two main reasons - Eldar vehicles & TMC's. For the most part Eldar vehicles will just shrug off the solid shot. Between their holo-fields on their Falcons & Fire Prism's (& I've never seen an Eldar player come to the table w/o them) and the energy shield on their Wave Serpents, unless you get REAL lucky, the Railgun wont do it. The Ion Cannon doesn't get nerfed by the energy shield, and you have 3 shots to get through the holo-fields. It's also an absolutely fantastic weapon for use against their Vypers, jetbikes, or aspect warriors & Wraithguard.

TMC's all have multiple wounds, and if you brought 3 HH's to the table, all armed w/ Railguns, IF you hit & wounded w/ every shot, every turn w/ all three HH's on a single TMC, (figure most have 4-6 wounds) that would account for ONE dead TMC. The other 3-5 (on average) will be in your lines LOOOOONG before that even happens, so... yeah.

Against Marines... it's a toss up. The submunition is nice against infantry, but they still get their save, but you'll likely hit more than 3, so the chance is there to actually do more damage. However, the Ion Cannon wounds on the same dice roll & ignores power armor, so if you happen to catch a combat squad or some other minimal squad out in the open, it will likely remove it as a threat.

I honestly use the Ion cannon w/ more regularity than railguns on my HH's. When I want railguns, I bring maxed squads of Broadsides. They're generally far more survivable, hit better & have better chances of actually bringing the big baddies down.

~Sunscreem

But essentially, what the Tau do is no different - its just a bit more benign. They take over the planet - you have a choice, you join them - Hoorah, tea and drones all round. - GoneFishing
Sunscreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 22:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

I also like it as a transport hunter. Most transports are going to be glanced on a 3 or 4 because of the strength of the Ion cannon (Looking at Side Armour for those numbers), and the fact that you get 3 of them, you're increasing your chances at taking out those vehicles quickly, stranding their troops in the open should they opt to move them on. And if they have a Rhino with a squad of Marines in it, then that's just more targets for your Ion cannon to shoot at and be just as effective. But on the other hand, if they're squishy targets, such as Imperial Guard Infantry Squads in a Chimera, or even Fire Warriors in a Devilfish for that matter, then the Rail gun might be a better bet as it can punch through any Armour facing with ease, and the pie-plate can take out the troops (Though, I'd rather use Fire Warriors at that point to take out the troops, and let the Hammerhead fire at a different vehicle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 22:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Though much maligned, Ionhead in itself is actually very useful. Ion Cannon is one of the few weapons which combines AP3 with good RoF and strength. Very useful against things like bikes, Monstrous Creatures or many IC's.

IMHO, Ionhead works best in relatively low points value games where you don't need to max out your Railguns. With Burst Cannons it's reasonably priced and useful against nearly all targets save heaviest vehicles.

Only problem is that Ion Cannon is so fugly...
Backfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 22:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

1) Cheap
2) Good against nearly any MC (seriously, it's great against Lashprinces or Wraithlords) where you need more shots. Also good vs. invulnerable saved stuff.
3) Defeating 3+ saves where the odds don't give the pieplate as much help (spread out/small squads etc.)

While it may have a few pro's the con's stack up as well in practical terms.
Low(er) strength makes ID'ing hard targets/FNP targets harder.
Less utility if heavy armor is on the field or, conversely, massed troops.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 22:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I might add that the Ionhead needs to be played aggressively. Worst thing you can do is to take long range shots on some Marine unit "oh, since I have AP3 gun, I must shoot Marines with it". You cause around two wounds...Marines are in cover (nearly always), saving one....woo hoo, your ~130 point tank killed one Marine. I always go within Burst cannon range, that gives me nine S7/S5 shots, and with just one Markerlight hit, I get them at BS5...
Backfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 22:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backfire
I might add that the Ionhead needs to be played aggressively. Worst thing you can do is to take long range shots on some Marine unit "oh, since I have AP3 gun, I must shoot Marines with it". You cause around two wounds...Marines are in cover (nearly always), saving one....woo hoo, your ~130 point tank killed one Marine. I always go within Burst cannon range, that gives me nine S7/S5 shots, and with just one Markerlight hit, I get them at BS5...
Forgot to mention, the tank can be played aggressively (as stated by Backfire) and is very fun/effective doing so.

The other way, is to do a Sky Ray sort of fighting, where you do stay back but launch all but untouchable death from afar (more like an expensive Deathrain unit).

Personally, both styles can easily be used depending on the opponent and current state of the game.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2010, 23:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Y'know, I've been playing with Tau for about two and a half years now, and I've never used an Ionhead. After reading this article, tho', I think I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxRifts
Good: Anything that involved making models.
Bad: Anything that involved writing rules for said models.
Shas Vre Sacea Kais is offline   Reply With Quote