Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

interesting thought about etherials
Closed Thread
Old 26 Jul 2005, 20:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default interesting thought about etherials

A great quagmire of tau background discussions revolve around etherials and "where they come from". THere is literally no end to the roundabout opinions that they were natural, a creation of the old ones, the result of eldar/ ctan/ jokaero engineering, and that "obviously" this lends itself to the theories that there is an alein race with a vested interest in the tau as a race.

Ok, so try this, as a new theory on an old, tired and oft talked about topic:

the old ones were the race most responsbile for seeding life in the galaxy, but their empire was destroyed by their creations link to the warp, and the creations of beings known as "enslavers" from the "growing pains" of these young races. And of course, the enslavers caused havok. So, the theory goes that the old ones put within each race, a genetic imprint for a leadership caste, should they not be around to guide them.

Such leader-strains of races exist in many places in the fluff. the most obvious example are the ork brainboyz of earlier fluff. Another, mosre obscure piece of fluff hints that even humans had such a brain-strain. I refer specifically to the journal of Keeper Cripias towards the end of the 3rd ed 40k rulebook. He refers to a race of "golden men" who were "strong of limb, and fine of mind". "Stone Men" was a term given to regular humans it seems, as these were the grunts who designed the ships. I say these guys were basic as Cripias refers to them being "physically inferior...and not of philosophical temperament and disposition". It also states it was these golden men who led humanity to establish order, and civiliation from chaos and anarchy.

The golden men however disappear as the stellar exodus begins.
It is the same with the orks: their leader strain, the brainboyz dwindle into insignificance.

Could this phenomenon also manifest itself within the tau? THe etherials being the leader-strain of the tau, as dictated by their own genes that were laid down by the old ones? It seems credible, as the Aun are responsible for leading, and guiding the rest of their race. It seems an interesting notion, that if true suggests the tau are a creation of the old ones, and that indeed the Aun were designed to lead the race, noe that the old ones do lead them directly.

If true, it does answer a lot of questions about the tau. the big brother race would obviously be the old ones, and the mystery surrounding the etherials is revealed.

It also lends itself to another question: if this phenomenon were true, then what is the fate of the etherials? Will they die out, like all other leader-strains of other races, and if this were to happen, what would be the fate of the tau?

Discuss....

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 26 Jul 2005, 20:41   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: interesting thought about etherials

Whilst I loathe the "Old Ones" theory with a passion, I congratulate you for your deductions.

I think the Tau will degenerate considerably... they'll be the next Imperium, only smaller.

...maybe I should do some cheap, crappy, half-arsed "temporal anomaly" fluff to do a piss-poor job of showing the maybe-future Tau... hell, Star Trek do it every third episode, so it must be good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 26 Jul 2005, 21:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

while i didslike all the theory about the old ones being behind the Tau i must say this hits it with a whole new slant 8)

Old 26 Jul 2005, 21:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Hmmm, very interesting.

But if the Old Ones did have a hand in the Tau then the Tau would have been around for much, much longer.

The Old Ones had little to no interest in Humans, they didn't see much in them and left them be. To which they evolved on their own to what they are today with no Old Ones influence which throws off the 'Golden Men' theory. There is a lot of talk in Keeper Cripias' records of many different types of men; Stone, Iron, Golden etc. I don't think humans had a leader caste that was created by the Old Ones as the Old Ones had little to nothing to do with Humanity. If it was a leader caste/group then it just happened that way, not through Old One intervention.

Now to suggest the Old Ones had a hand in the Tau would suggest that some of the Old Ones survived the coming on the Enslavers and have been hiding ever since.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

'the result of eldar/ jokaero engineering'

Whoever suggested those have no clue. The Jokaero wouldn't bother themselves with something like that. They don't even communicare with other races, never mind make them and manipulate them.

Still, nice theory, but as with most of this nature. Flawed IMO (better than many others though). Unless..............

Some Old Ones did survive, hid, and did this.

They died as the steller exodus began. Resulting in the loss of the other leader strains. As the Tau were a much later project they survived (the Ethereals as the leader caste staying in hiding untill needed). This would also put it in with the time-scale of 40K events as if the Old Ones did this with the Tau at the height of their power then they would as I've said, been around for much longer.

Old 27 Jul 2005, 02:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Such leader-strains of races exist in many places in the fluff. the most obvious example are the ork brainboyz of earlier fluff
Unless I'm not remembering my fluff correctly, the brainboyz were the original orks, who then genetically engineered the others to serve them, which causes a bit of trouble with your hypothesis.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 12:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

mate it with the fluff that the old ones created the (kr)ork and you might have something.

the brain-strain of a race exist as a go between with regard to the race, and the old ones, but with their disappearance, it was left to the brain-strain to lead their races.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 27 Jul 2005, 14:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

I think the Tau represents the "new" good force in the galaxy, to counter the necrons. If you take a short look at the 40k universe, the only "good" race is Tau. They are open and polite, accepting others and embracing friendship and cooperativity and unity.

As long as evils such as necrons, tyranids and chaos exists, there is a need for an opposite force; the good side. The Tau represents the galaxy's good protectors, and are recognised by the Eldar as a promising race (that small extract from Eldrad Ulthran in the Tau codex). So, that's my theory at least
Old 27 Jul 2005, 14:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Me and Deadnight discussed this a little via PM (foolishly I forgot to save some of my messages so a few points are missing, but stil.........), and I think that the theory is the best to date if we make a few assumptions;

'Still, the old ones could have started life on earth. all they had to do was stick some cells on it. '

Oh donít get me wrong, they pretty much did start life on earth. They took the Orang-utans and advanced them to the Jokaero but with Humans they seen little in us so they kept us at the ape stage.

'and the Tau are only a few thousand years behind humans.'

Mankind is 48,000 years from Neolithic stage, far, far, far more than that from ostralapithicus stage you know, upright apes, that kind of thing. The Tau are 6,000 years from Neolithic stage.

Now I don't know how many years they are from being lower life forms but If the Old Ones created the Tau then that would have been at about the same time as Humans were at the 'upright ape' stage. Which means the Tau would have been far, far past the Neolithic stage when Humans first found them.

But as I said. If some Old Ones survived and hid (thus taking ages to develop the Tau because they didnít have the resources that they did or as many minds working on it) then the theory could work.

I was told that the Old Ones planted the seed for the leader strain of the species to come out once they reached sentience which would explain the 'Golden Men' theory.

With the whole time thing not adding up we will have to assume that some Old Ones survived the coming of the Enslavers, which is a pretty fair assumption. I can't see a whole race getting wiped out by them, especially a race so powerful. Some probably hid and as the Old Ones have huge, possibly infinite lifespan then they could have been working on the Tau/Ethereals for ages. It would have taken a long time because they wouldn't have had the resources or the as many Old Ones working on it as they would in the past.

They died at around the time of the stellar exodus (as a lot of strange psychic things went on at that time) which would explain the death of the other leader strains. The Ethereals surviving due to being a later project. This would then level out the whole time problems.

'and are recognised by the Eldar as a promising race'

The Eldar are a fractured race, Eldrad also had very differing views to many Eldar. Eldrad said this, he said that he feels a protectiveness towards them, he. The Eldar don't give a damn about the Tau, there is actually a thread about this in the Eldar board at the moment.

Also the Eldar don't have the means to make a race and or a leader strain.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 14:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

And isn't Eldrad dead now, and thus sympathy towards the Tau would of been greatly weakened.

~Andromidius
Old 27 Jul 2005, 20:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

my point was that when the greatest eldar psyker assumes the Tau might overcome the eldar, it symbolises that the Tau is a great race, cause the eldar are known to disregard other alien species, humans for instance. In my opinion, Tau is (as stated before) the only "good" guys in the galaxy, and it's nature's response to all the evil. Perhaps the old ones had a finger in making the ethereals though, interesting thought
Closed Thread