Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Strategies for tau vs ...
Old 27 Jun 2010, 15:38   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Strategies for tau vs ...

Hi i have been looking on the internet on how to play against different armies, but i have not found anything yet. So I thought that I would start a post for the inexperienced tau players to read up on different strategies for fighting different armies so If you feel that you could contribute to the thread with your strategies it would be appreciated by me and other people learning how to play the tau army. also make sure you label the army that you are discussing for example. john doe wants to post about space marines he would put at the top of his section.
Vs. Space Marines:

then go on about the tactics. thanks and I hope every one can contribute something.
KO321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 15:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp
Default Re: Strategies for tau vs ...

Could be cool i guess, but at the same time i dont like telling people how to play. Sure i could right a very detailed and sound list to crush space marines, or orks...or whatever, but thats with the units i have. Another player might not have the same units or numbers of units that i have, and there for it would make my perfect list useless cause they cant run it.

Personally i think its a better idea of the person with the problem to ask. Post you list and and ask "How can i beat *insert army here* with my tau?". There are more than a few knowledgeable people lurking around who will be more than willing to help anyone with thier questions. This already happens some what in the army lists section (atleast when i reply), as we have a good idea on what you have in order to give the best advice. This is far better than "You HAVE to have 30 crisis suits or else marines will crush you!", which is what might happen if people start posting on how to beat a specific army.

This is however my opinion, which probably isnt worth a whole lot :P.
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 16:23   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ok i understand that well ill give you what I have in army
HQ
1 Shas'o
troops
24 FWs
1 devil fish
12 Kroot
elite
7 crisis suits
3 stealth suits
Fast attack
lots of gun drones
Heavy support
3 broadsides
2 Hammerheads

I have magnetized my models so i can change them to what ever I want.
but that is what I have and the armies I would go against would be necrons, space marines, blood angels, occasionally orks. I usually like to run as many crisis suits as possible and I'm playing with the idea of having gun drone squads go in and try to pin down some of the squads. the gun drones I have are also magnetized so i can switch to be marker or shield. I also want to say that the necrons and blood angels play heave on the wraiths and jet packs.
KO321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 16:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Not a big fan of Tau vs Certain Race or You need 30 Crisis to beat Marines kind of thing but it is best to gear your army into something more all-rounder, specializing something kinda ruins the fun of things sometimes but I won't let that stop this thread from rolling.

My playstyle differs, I emphasis on flamers on crisis suits and I'm sure other people had missile pods and other gubbins about but I think the flamethrower in this edition hits hard against armies that relies heavily on cover saves such as Orks, Imperial Guards and to some extent, MEQs even.

I don't know but another thing I noticed is your Firewarriors probably need the furthest range possible and avoid employing them against armies that is really dang quick in assault, Blood Angels for one.That being said, Crisis suits is the only hammer for Tau at the moment. So I suggest fight fire with fire if your opponents are jetpacking about trying to assault. Having replacing Firewarriors with Kroots sounds iffy but I never think that to be a really good investment to rely on.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 16:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp

Well seeing as most of your oppoents are Meq it should be easy to tweek you list to take them down pretty easily. The issue is that it is pretty hard to build a tau list that is good at taking down meqs and orks. They play styles are totally different, and if its a tide style army unless you have a gun line you are probably in trouble.

Anyhow you list. I would of like weapon layouts you normally run and the point limit you usally run at but its no biggy if im just handing out pointers.

Shas'O
This guy could really be a shasel with out hurting him too much. Its cheaper and its BS4 is easily solved. Weapons, id run an aurura suit which is Cycic ion blaster and plasma rifle. It gives you some seriors firepower, and both weapons can delete all armor as the CiB is rending. If you un an 'el give him a Targetting array and hard wired multi tracker with some shield drones. If you keep the 'O just go with multi-tracker and shield drones, as it keeps him cheap and he should stay alive unless they hit him with 3+ anti tank shots.

Crisis suits:
These guys, are pretty simple to deck out too. Id make one team helios suits (plasma and fusion blaster w/ multi tracker) to really bring the hurt to his meq and teq related units. the other team is really up to you. Both fireknives (plasma, missile) and deathrains (TL missile) are solid light vehicle hunters, while burning eyes (TL plasma) are good at taking out meqs and teqs, and Sunforged (TL fusion blasters) are good at killing vehicles. Really try to give the team leaders hardwired drone controlers so that they can take shield drones. They really help keep your suits alive.

Stealth:
Brust cannons, maybe a marker drone. These guys really arnt that good imo, but others swear by them.

Drones:
I dont use them so i really can comment.

Broadsides:
Solid, juse hand out some shield drones wot the team leader and let them do thier work. Consider a target lock on the leader so he can target a different unit if you feel the need.

Hammerheads:
These guys are my favorite heavy support. Since you have 3 broadsides, you could run one with a railgun and another with an ioncannon. the ioncannon will delete meqs save, and wound on 2s makeing it a deadly weapon vs marines. However if you choose to run two railguns, i wont blame you as thier pie plate usually drops 2-3 marines a turn.

my 2 cents
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 16:48   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

To me this seems more like a "I'm new and don't know much, could you share some of your experiences" that, which works great for me. I'm happy to share and to hear other peoples experiences to maybe learn something from them or gleen a tactic that works for me.

I'll be more than happy to contribute. One thing that should be noted and some some small level discussed as well is that specifically tailoring your army list to face a specific player or army is called "list tailoring" and is frowned on. However if you are playing friendly games and both players more or less agree, then that is fine.

I'll start with Orks since I have the most experience with them.

Tau Vs. Orks

In prinicple Tau are actually pretty suited to deal with orks at range. Their ST 5 AP 5 weapons will wound ALL orks on 3+ and will usually pass through armor. Pathfinders can even reduce cover saves as needed. Our high stenght weapons will even take out some of the Orks light transports and walkers with enough massed fire. What you will find though is that you will never seem to have enough shots. Tactical placement of shots is what you need to be focused on in this game, as well as distance. If ANYTHING is within 18 inches, it is time to relocate! Its important to have some sort of release value like a Devilfish, or jump shoot jump, because anything in your list that is not moving will at some point get assulted and will die.

Orks, if allowed, will burn though your troops like a califonia wildfire. If they get close enough to assult your tanks, they have a pretty good chance to take them down. It may seem like common sense but I will say it anyway, in the shooting phase its a good idea to fire at the transports first, Ork troop will fly out of the transport as if they are scattering, sometimes in any direction they want, I.E. as close to your troops as possible. If thats the case and they get right next to a group of fire warriors, if you havent shot them yet, you will at least be able to rapid fire them.

Flamers, while tempting, are very risky. If you do not wipe the squad out, it will be able to assult you next turn, you if you cant kill it, it better be low enough for you to be able to charge it and kill it, [I.E. 1 ork without power weapons]. Either that or have another squad that can finish it off at range. Firestorm [Missile Pod and Burst Cannon with a mutli tracker] it pretty useful against ork. Useful against troops and Trukks.
Valadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 17:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

All I'm going to say to your ork tactica, is warbikers, and trukks, with KFF Meks.

You need hammerheads against orks, them and seeker missiles. The Railhead, can either use a blast template or can use a solid shot. Make sure you are meched or at least got some battlesuits. Against orks the most difficult thing you can do is have to try and capture objectives. If you think you may get this sort of mission, you are going to need kroot. They are one of the few things in your army that can really challenge orks in combat. That and meched fire warriors.

Also watch out for Nobs. These guys are deadly. I run them in a trukk, for speed, however they are often in a battlewagon. These Nobs, can have inv saves, armour saves, and FNP. With that they are deadly! They can also pack Big choppas, making them stronger in combat, or power klaws to make them hit even harder! Also the Battlewagon is something to watch out for. AV14 is good, but it is the def rolla that is truly deadly for tau. The ability to hit your vehicles with str10 hits, is invaluable. If you see a deff rolla, kill it!

Hope this helps.

- Will
Old 27 Jun 2010, 17:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Second that. Hammerheads with submunition will ruin any Ork's day. Anything you shoot at them, if they're not in cover, they'll die anyways.

For Orks, just to reinforce what Valadon said, Orks with Shootas at 18" range will ruin you badly, they may be bad shot but they got mass fire to make up for it, so they can just pop 2-3 Firewarriors and you're risk them running off the table. Expect them to be 20-30 boyz strong if they're slogging.

Though frankly I be worried more about Trukks than anything else.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 18:19   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yes, Hammerheads are one of, if not the, most valuable unit for a tau player. I like to roll 2 Railheads and 3 Broadsides. Usually the broadsides work on armor while the Railheads use the blast on exposed troops.
Valadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 03:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Well, I find this to be very open ended in terms of the overall objective behind this particular thread on the forum. I mean, the problem that you're going to run into is that with most armies in the game there are so many ways to play them effectively that you can't just say, "this works against space marines" or "this works against orks." There are particular tactics to counter particular play styles. I think for new players out there the best tactic is to learn the units you have at your disposal inside and out. If you don't master your own army you wont be able to master your opponent. Just my 2 cents.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote