Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight bomb wound allocation help.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 08:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Farsight bomb wound allocation help.

I've been trying to write a 2000 point farsight bomb list for fun and I'm having some issues with rule interpretations of the complex unit wound allocation rule. I know that wounds on a unit of complex models are split as evenly as possible between all different models.

However some people at my local hobby store have different interpretations of these rules. Basically in my list consists of Farsight and seven bodyguards, with each bodyguard having two drones (a mix of gun and shield drones). Every suit has different wargear so as to make use of the multi-wound allocation. Now the problem occurs when I try to take into account the drones when I allocate wounds.

I think that there would be 10 different groups of units within the unit, Farsight, each of his seven bodyguards, and gun and shield drones. So I would allocate the wounds as evenly as possible between each group, ideally minimizing the damage to any singular group.

However another player states that I can allocate all of my wounds onto my drones first if I so choose to, in effect forcing my opponent to deal at least 14 wounds to even begin to touch my actual unit.

So the question is, does this unit follow the traditional rules for complex and multi-wound untis? Or is there something about retinues or drones that I don't know about?
Pocketkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 12:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith
Default Re: Farsight bomb wound allocation help.

You'd evenly spread out the wounds across the entire unit (unless a s[pecial rule allows the opponent to decide), then roll each persons Armour/Invulnerable saves independently.
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 16:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Your friend is correct. You are not required to allocate more than one wound to a model until every model has one allocated, and according to the rules, you are the one that determines which model takes each wound, so it is very easy (and generally wise) to allocate devastating/ID wounds to drones before they can have a chance against the Suits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 21:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The 1st requirement you have to meet is that you allocate 1 wound to each model in the unit. So if there are less then 14 wounds on your unit then yes you can allocate them all to your drones. I don't think I saw anything stating you have to divide wounds up evenly between groups, you simply allocate so that wounds are divided up evenly between everyone in the squad. Every one gets 1 wound, then 2, then 3, etc. I'd imagine that'd be pretty hard to pull off on Farsights retinue though .
Old 26 Jun 2010, 22:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
The 1st requirement you have to meet is that you allocate 1 wound to each model in the unit. So if there are less then 14 wounds on your unit then yes you can allocate them all to your drones. I don't think I saw anything stating you have to divide wounds up evenly between groups, you simply allocate so that wounds are divided up evenly between everyone in the squad. Every one gets 1 wound, then 2, then 3, etc. I'd imagine that'd be pretty hard to pull off on Farsights retinue though .
Very good rolling on a Punisher Cannon can do it. Any Rapid-Firing full-sized squad can also put out enough fire power to keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 08:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

To put it simply, you're both correct. You do have 10 different wound allocation groups. You've got 14 drones and it makes sense that you would put all the wounds on the drones before you actually begin to hit the suits. However, if
your opponent causes more than 14 wounds in a single round of shooting then you have to apply wounds to the battlesuits.

Another thing that will make this unit even tougher (and more expensive) is if you take a Shas'O and give him iridium armor, a shield gen and 2 shield drones and put him in the unit. This add 6 more wounds with 2+ armor and a 4+ invulnerable save to your unit as well as 2 more wound groups. Absolutely ridiculous.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 14:24   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
This add 6 more wounds with 2+ armor and a 4+ invulnerable save to your unit as well as 2 more wound groups. Absolutely ridiculous.
At 700-800 points, it could be more ridiculous. >
Valadon is offline   Reply With Quote