Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

OK got a stealth team...now what
Closed Thread
Old 26 Jul 2005, 17:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default OK got a stealth team...now what

I spent my hard earned money on a stealth team (5) $30 at lunch today. I know exactly how I'm going to paint them.

However, I'm still farely newbie to 40k, so aside from the obvious JSJ what to do with these guys. They seem expensive for bait using the Kauyon.

Any suggestions on learning them fast? I have my first RTT coming up in about 2.5 weeks.

Thanks!

Wanax
Old 26 Jul 2005, 17:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: OK got a stealth team...now what

You don't use them as bait. That is what the Kroot are for. You use the Stealthsuits as anti-infantry, jumping in and out of cover to kill off light and medium infantry, and possibly bikes.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 17:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Getting behind enemy tanks is also a possible tactic, since that many S5 shots at rear armour is nearly bound to do something!

You can also 'bait' units without actually putting the team at risk - make use of your stealth generators! Make your team look really tempting, and pull enemy assault units from the enemy force to chase after them. Then you jump away and pincer them with Devilish mounted Fire Warriors, Crisis Suits and Hammerheads

Of course no tactic is infallible, so don't be too upset if you Stealth team is killed - Tau tactics state they are lone wolves anyway, and are never put into consideration for grand army tactics!

~Andromidius
Old 26 Jul 2005, 18:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Example on how I use my SS, also learn to measure out 18" with your eyes, it will help you out. Be aware of how fast enemy troops, so they don't get charged. Also their cloaking ability is not that great: if you can shoot them, they can shoot you! *

I will set up using a squad of FW static may be two squads static and the marines are headed straight for them. FW will continue to pour in fire to the closest marine squad, 30" range means I they may have one to two turns of shooting before they get assaulted. Mean time to help thin the squad, SS pour fire in the squad.

Last are my 3 crisis and commander. The reason I fire crisis last are because you opponent will remove the plain troops first aka the red shirts, but the crisis with the power weapons, fists, and multi attack guys will stay in until the last man. But with Plasma, these guys will be melted unless they have an invun. save.

WT

I know Andromidius says to send them in to get enemy armor. I say no to that. I have yet to get enemy armor with them. In fact they always get killed when I don't support them with at least one other squad. I tend to send one monet crisis with them and one FW squad near them to cover if they have to pull pack.
Once said fast moving squad is gone, repeat with next. Plus being new to the stealth teams, I would recommend that these troops always have back-up.
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 26 Jul 2005, 22:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Jump to 18, shoot, jump to 24. Your enemies will have a slightly above 50% chance to see you with assault weapons, less with longer range weapons.

They have 3/4 the firepower of rapid-firing FW.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 23:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

dont forge the awesomeness of Deep Striking!

18 Dice of Str5 landing anywhere they want in mid game can be devastating... huh!! Deepstrike Range limitations and Burst Cannon ranges match, dont they!??! this is the way i like to use Stealths (if opponent allows.... which is usually just once.. hmph!)

another synergy benefit is a full pack of pathfinders combined with a stealth team..... 8 pathfinders light up a troop squad of annoyance.... 4-5 markerlights hit.... hmmm how many stealth suits?? see the matching synergy here?? thats LOTS of nearly auto hit STR 5 shots landing home.. ignoring cover saves.. juicy!! buh bye ORKS!!! buh bye um.. some SMurfs!

another early game issue is to put stealth suits closer to enemy than any others.. but still far away..... heehee they HAVE to shoot at the stealths (or try a leadershp test to shoot another).. then HAVE to see through their Stealth fields.... therefore, their first turn, several units WONT BE ABLE TO SHOOT AT ALL (dont forget that a units targeting stealths, but failing to spot them.. CANT retarget another unit)

there... :P that should be enuff Stealth suit tricks to last a while.. enjoy!
Old 27 Jul 2005, 00:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sorry Calaban it does not work that way.

Your opponent has a choice, they can either chose to fire at the SS or shoot at another target. If they shoot at the SS and don't make the dice roll, they can not shoot anymore.
Or they can chose to shoot something else.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 27 Jul 2005, 00:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

when i said they HAVE to shoot at the stealths, what i really meant was they had to shoot at the closest unit, cloaked or not, unless they take a leadership test to shoot at a farther away unit.... some may fail the roll, and have to shoot at the stealths.. then may not see them... then loose their chance to fire completely. hope that clears up my earlier enthusiasm..

note that this does not consider vehicle or monsterous creature targets...
Old 27 Jul 2005, 00:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Whoa, what? *That was totally confusing...

An opponent can do two things when they encounter a Stealth Suit:
1) *They can choose to ignore them for purposes of considering the closest unit, meaning they have to take no leadership test to shoot past them.
2) *Or, they can choose to fire upon the unit and roll sighting distance. *If they can see the unit, they can fire on it as normal. *If they cannot see the Stealths, they have wasted that units chance to fire, just like Night Fighting rules. *

Only if they choose to ignore the unit in the first place do they ignore it at all and are able to choose another unit; if they roll sighting distance and fail, they have wasted that unit's turn; read the FAQ.

Anywho, I use my Stealths for harassment on the flanks. *I always place them near light infantry (dynamite against 'Nids and non-Mounted Orks (actually, even mounted as well)), and fry them early, so that my main units can focus on heavier threats. *It almost always works, and they usually survive for a couple turns. *Otherwise, they function as great decoys, and again, serve to draw off units (either trying to assault or shoot them) and keep my main firebases/units safe and able to engage the worse threats. *If they do get assualted, they get I10 and have reasonable decent stats (for Tau) so if I roll well, they usually inflict decent damage in melee. *They have yet to survive any game though: I use them as a expendable harassers, and they function well in that roll. *I recently have switched back to Kroot though, as they are cheaper, have better range, and can do far better in CC, though aren't nearly as mobile; it's kind of a toss up. *Once I figure out which is better, I'll keep that, but Stealths are most definitely worth every point.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 27 Jul 2005, 08:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I usually field two squads of stealth suits.

And most of the time at least one will survive the game.
My key to succes was that i presented my entire force to the enemy on one spot (i didn't split deploy as i have mobile force that can split afterwards).
Enemy set up acording this usually copying my deployment, then i infiltrate the stealth suits as far on the flanks as i can, so enemy is forced to concentrate on one or other squad or my main force, they usually select my main force as wrth attacking as they are not sure if they can see the stealths.
You only need to watch for fast assault units (like ork trucks) that can zip near very fast and can engage your suits wthout support of others.
Closed Thread