Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

sensor spines and dagerous terrain
Old 25 Jun 2010, 20:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default sensor spines and dagerous terrain

So I had and idea and glancing through the books it seems like it would work, but I wanna check with the rest of my Tau.

So if i understand sensor spines, they allow something like a hammerhead to stop in dangerous terrain, gain that terrains cover save, and not have to make a dangerous terrain test, correct?

So if that is the case, now follow me, is it then possible to take your hammerhead, since its a skimmer, and park it on top of something like a bunker, or some other tall piece of impassible terrain and not have to worry about the dangerous terrain roll?

The benefit for this being that though your tank become visible to just about everything on the board (hopefully you have DPods to help defend cover, your tank :

1) is basically out of range for CC as the attackers would have be able to get on top of and have room to assult your hammerhead

2) would negate cover save which units might grant other units positioned behind then as your gained height gives you better line of sight.

it seems like this would work but i want to make sure that I'm not insane...

Thoughts?
burn1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2010, 21:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Rev_Enge(spc)
Default Re: sensor spines and dagerous terrain

It has to be a piece to terrain the tank is able to enter normally - so a ruined building, or a forest would work, but if its a bunker, or an enclosed building, you won't be able to do that. Basically, it just allows you to ignore dangerous terrain rolls - it doesn't allow you to go where you wouldn't have been able to go in the first place.

"In war, laws are silent"
Rev_Enge(spc) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2010, 21:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron

Agreed; The terrain has to be something you can place the Tank on with stability. I, however, have used the Sensor Spines to great effect by putting the tank on things like towers and cliffs before, making them virtually unreachable to enemy melee and melta weapons. Albeit, they cannot be inside things like bunkers or towers or enclosed buildings, but I don't see any reason why they can't be on top of such structures, and no one at my game store has complained about it.
Old 25 Jun 2010, 22:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Uh, fellow repliers before me - he never actually said going into a building. He simply said "on top" which is legal as per the rulebook.

You dont get a cover save for being in a forest just because it is "Terrain" because the codex description states "...in the same way as a normal vehicle in the same position..." which means if the forest doesnt block 50% of you then you dont get cover.

As for on top of a bastion or a bunker, you should get cover anyway from disruption pods, meaning units will hvae to be around 6-9 inches from the bastion to shoot at you without you getting your cover save. However, remember that you cannot land a skimmer/jump infantry or jetbike on a building occupied by enemy units.

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 01:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn1234
1) is basically out of range for CC as the attackers would have be able to get on top of and have room to assult your hammerhead

2) would negate cover save which units might grant other units positioned behind then as your gained height gives you better line of sight.
These might be questions better resolved between your opponent and you as "terrain" comes in all shapes and sizes.

Off the bat though I'd say, yes it can get on top of a bunker, as long as it was accessible also to jump/jet infantry, jetbikes, etc. Some impassable terrain may be okay to stand on, some may not be. It really depends on what you and your opponent agree on about the terrain. And as for the LoS bonus, well don't you have to use real LoS to determine that anyways?
Old 26 Jun 2010, 04:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Don't forget you can go into a bunker if you blow it up first. And if it's Planestrike, I believe it's scoring, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 04:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Rev_Enge(spc)

The thing about sensor spines is that they help you when you enter terrain - you can always hover over it, no matter what form the terrain takes, and no matter if you have sensor spines or not. But, unless you were 50% blocked, you would not get a cover save from being over a piece of terrain, and you can't drive a tank inside of a solid building or bunker.

"In war, laws are silent"
Rev_Enge(spc) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 07:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
The thing about sensor spines is that they help you when you enter terrain - you can always hover over it, no matter what form the terrain takes, and no matter if you have sensor spines or not. But, unless you were 50% blocked, you would not get a cover save from being over a piece of terrain, and you can't drive a tank inside of a solid building or bunker.
He is referring to the fact that him being on top of a high terrain piece would maximize his disruption pod effect - meaning that he will get his 4+ cover save in plain sight on the top of the tallest building. He never said he was going in the solid building or bunker. He has no need to try and be more than 50% obscured if he is 9 inches off the ground :P

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2010, 17:29   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks all!
burn1234 is offline   Reply With Quote