Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

re-inventing gunline tau with bait!
Old 24 Jun 2010, 02:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Mirage
Default re-inventing gunline tau with bait!

at long last i've decided to make a foray back to the greater good!
as someone who played as tau, then gave it up, played against it (at nauseum) i think i've figured out a way to make gunline tau more viable.
normally tau players will cringe at the thought of taking an ethereal, it's the wounded animal that can really turn the tide of a battle for tau, but i just came up with a tactic and concept that may make the aun more viable!

(this tactic is based on the opponents desire to take out the ethereal and see the mayhem happen, as I am guilty of such ruthless tactics)

Take an ethereal and place it with a maxed out stealth suit squad that has the drone controller upgrades for each.
6 stealth suits + ethereal = 14 drones of any type
-meaning that you have 20 other targets to allocate wounds to, oh, and that squad is fearless!
-the squad can remain stationary and assign markerlights
-stealth suits give the aun the stealth field, meaning targets have to be close enough to hope to do damage, well within burst cannon range
you can position a static tau gunline around this tactic, and even footslog 6" at a time, laying down a hail of fire as you advance.

any comments, thoughts?
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 02:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: re-inventing gunline tau with bait!

I would seriously love it if you fielded that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage
normally tau players will cringe at the thought of taking an ethereal, it's the wounded animal that can really turn the tide of a battle for tau, but i just came up with a tactic and concept that may make the aun more viable!

(this tactic is based on the opponents desire to take out the ethereal and see the mayhem happen, as I am guilty of such ruthless tactics)

Take an ethereal and place it with a maxed out stealth suit squad that has the drone controller upgrades for each.
6 stealth suits + ethereal = 14 drones of any type
-meaning that you have 20 other targets to allocate wounds to, oh, and that squad is fearless!
-the squad can remain stationary and assign markerlights
-stealth suits give the aun the stealth field, meaning targets have to be close enough to hope to do damage, well within burst cannon range
you can position a static tau gunline around this tactic, and even footslog 6" at a time, laying down a hail of fire as you advance.

any comments, thoughts?
My first thought and the most damning one, is that an Ethereal removes your stealth field. Only drones are granted the stealth capabilities, there is no such amendment for IC's. In addition, because he's not jump infantry, you damn those who stay with him to moving slowly or sitting still.

So yes, the Ethereal is still officially bad .
Not only will he die in this tactic, the tinfoil-capped idiot will have killed the Stealth team too while he looks for his baseball.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 03:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Mirage

First off, I've never laughed so hard at a reply.
Second, I cant find where it says that the stealth field generator isn't conferred to IC's.
IC's joining a squad (as I understand) are Not able to be targeted individually, but the squad he joined can be targeted. Using this logic, the stealth field effect is shared with an IC, as the opponent must target the stealth suit squad if it wishes to reach the IC.

As far as the jump infantry thing goes, I understand that, and can think of another option in the form of sniper drones, the reason I did not originally suggest them is because of the wound allocation
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 03:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sadly, IC's remove special rules from squads they join unless they have the rule as well. That should be listed under the IC rules though, not the Tau ones. :P

That Tau stealth generator rules only make exceptions for drones, so there's no getting around the normal rules for IC's then.

I suspect this was (originally) more so that you couldn't shack up an XV8 HQ with Stealths and get the benefits of that union, moreso than Ethereal use denial.
[hr]

The funny thing is that your namesake in Apoc (well, the formation anyway) would be able to do this. :funny:

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 03:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to jhontauel Send a message via MSN to jhontauel Send a message via Yahoo to jhontauel

Stealth field goes down the toilet with an ethereal.

Codex page 27 stealth field generators "Enemy models attempting to fire at a unit WHOLLY equipped with stealth field generator..."

nice idea and funny but not legit.

Playing 40k since 2002
jhontauel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 06:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Even if this tactic actually worked I would have no qualms whatsoever deepstriking my assault cannon heavy flamer dreadnought right next to this unit and completely mauling the majority of it with a heavy flamer. If you yourself leave this unit in reserve then you run the risk of not having the abilities of a unit that will run you somewhere around 300 point on the table for half of the game or possibly more.

Unless you're playing against the worst warhammer 40k players who are incredibly tactically inept then you'll find that any type of gunline Tau tactics just don't work. They don't have the leadership, the durability, or oddly enough the fire power to properly execute a gun line.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 16:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, at least in their fluff they're not supposed to work like that anyway. Static line.. WHY DON'T YOU WORK!? I've never actually fielded an Ethereal yet, mostly because when I started playing WH40K I hit this site rather quickly and never made that "blunder". Although some people swear by the guy, I just don't want the morale tests
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 18:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have seen some small success in 5th edition using gunline Tau with 2 lines or sort of a staggering of them. Basically, as the bad guys come in, you run one squad up at a time to rapid-fire then die in assault. As they die in assault, they naturally do so in one phase, leaving the rest of the squads (or as many as can reach) to finish them off. It's not a tactic I use, and I think a more mobile force played by a savvy opponent could counter it fairly easily; but it CAN work.

The only time in recent memory that I used my ethereal model for anything but an objective marker (he's actually pretty good at that task) was in my friendly-game "iron-man" list. The two HQ choices are filled with an ethereal... and Commander Shadowsun. Rerollable leaderships that can be made at L10 or at L7 makes for an interesting battle. It's a bit like having Marneus Calgar's God of War ability, only far less useful. Sadly, it only fixed the leadership problem with the Tau, not the firepower, mobility, or squishiness ones.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2010, 00:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've always felt a good bait unit is one that makes your opponent WANT to kill it.

An Ethereal is good bait, but a Stealth Team is a waste, even before considering the huge cost of adding all those drones, the range of it is way to short. Hook him up with a Broadside team with a unit of Pathfinders right in front. Your enemy will HAVE to go after it.

But then Deep Strikers/Outflankers come falling in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2010, 01:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Rev_Enge(spc)

Imagine the situation though:

Stealth Leader: "We'll be touching down in a few seconds, sir."
Aun: "Thank you for your help, Shas'Vre, I'm really not familiar with all these military protocols... wait, where are our lines? Are those Space Marines??"
Stealth Leader: "The Shas'o thought you'd appreciate a lesson in military tactics... we're going to start with the Kauyon."

"In war, laws are silent"
Rev_Enge(spc) is offline   Reply With Quote