Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

moment of contemplation for stealth
Old 16 Jun 2010, 12:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default moment of contemplation for stealth

As I was rereading the codex looking for something new (to me anyway) I found it. Every stealth suit can take a support system, or what I call a targeting array. suddenly, the stealth suit team of 5 looks like it is hitting with 7 to 8 wounds per turn. I've perked up and am ready to commit to a full 3 stealth teams if this is the case. uppy:

Now, go ahead and tell me I've read it wrong so I can spend my money on Tomb Kings instead :sadnshocked:
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2010, 12:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: moment of contemplation for stealth

No, your not wrong. However dedicating 3 Full teams of XV25s would be somewhat foolish as you lose out on the Crisis support with its greater weapon options. A single full team of XV25s all with Targetting Arrays will mince horde armies for the one turn that they are in range and not being assaulted. If you can keep them on the move and out of range, they will annoy the crap out of anyone, even Tank Spammers, as our Pulseweapons can Pen most rear armour values in this game, or glance in some cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2010, 13:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Also, point for point, the efficiency doesn't really change. It does not matter whether you are using 3 Stealths with TA or 4 Stealths without - both units cost the same amount of points, and both hit with 6 shots on average. If you add Markerlights to the equation, the bigger units is even better than the smaller one. The only reason to add TA's to Stealths is if you have already 6 Stealths in your unit, to max out shots that hit.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2010, 17:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd go with Gun Drones for two reasons: less points per model and I think it was about the same or better math hammer style for the kill to point ratio. The only bother I have using the drones is that the foot print doubles rather quickly.
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2010, 18:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I tried it, didn't like it. A team of three with TA and a team of four hit the same amound of times mathematically, but one has a higher number of potnetial hits and has survivability in the form of an extra wound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshift
I'd go with Gun Drones for two reasons: less points per model and I think it was about the same or better math hammer style for the kill to point ratio. The only bother I have using the drones is that the foot print doubles rather quickly.
I've done this too. Mixed armour is a pain to explain. The extra shots were nice, the pinning was not useful at all. It's not terrible as an outflanking squad, since you can assault vehicles with them after you shoot to hug 'em for cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2010, 18:45   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yeah stealth suits can be pretty fun. If anyone wants to shoot at them they have to roll to see how far they can shoot. Nice little bonus.

I did a complete rewrite of my standard list and built it around two teams of five stealthsuits with targeting arrays. I wonder how fast I can put down a horde.
Froenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2010, 19:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froenx
I did a complete rewrite of my standard list and built it around two teams of five stealthsuits with targeting arrays. I wonder how fast I can put down a horde.
I'd advise against using more than one unit of Stealth Suits - it comes at the expense of fewer Crisis, and Crisis are NEEDED. With more and more mechanised armies, the Stealths with their measly S 5 have a hard time opening transports; and while it is true that you can dedicate Broadsides or Hammerheads to the task of popping lighter vehicles, most of the time they will have their hands full with battle tanks (Preds, Leman Russ, Battlewaggons, Serpents, the like) - light vehicles are better left to Crisis with MPs.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 00:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Nothing pops the light vehicles like a squad of 3 Deathrain suits.
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 05:45   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

funny thing is, the gaming group I play against DON'T run any sort of mechanized lists.

I love deathrains for their vehicle smushing abilitiy, especially when you deepstrike em behind high value armour.
Froenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 14:49   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Here is the deal breaker for me. 3 Stealth suits with Ta's [or just 4 suits] for 120. 3 HeatWaves [TL flamers and burster cannons] 114 points. If I need to kill horde...I will kill Horde...
Valadon is offline   Reply With Quote