Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Humble Fire Warrior
Old 14 Jun 2010, 04:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default The Humble Fire Warrior

greetings!

In my local club there are 4 tau players and most of them overlook the humble fire warrior. Seeing this I decided to take a heavy fire warrior list. And it is very affective, I would like to ask if any of you have had good experience with the humble fire warrior...

[img width=650 height=508]http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz168/Almostairsoft1/theredharvest.png[/img]

cj dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 05:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: The Humble Fire Warrior

Fire Warriors are awesome and a must for any Tau player. And don't always think they suck in combat. I took out a chaplin on bike with 8 fire warriors. Can you say DAMN!!!!
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 07:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I had a squad in melee take out, within one turn of each of them, a Chaos Demon and Prince. Just one squad. I love the Firewarriors, but I like the mobility of Devil fish. I just need to know when the best time to drop them out and attack.
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 09:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

In my 1000 point list of Tau I use 3 full squads of FW's with 4 crisis suits, 8 stealth suits, and 2 broadsides and I've done decently well with it.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 09:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Raving Bonkers

I played a large game not to long ago. It was just for fun to try with mates. Or atleast it was suppose to be. They wanted to finaly beat my Tau in a tremendous manor, thinking I would bring more pathfinders and such as I normaly don't use them.

Well for me I thought it would be fun to max my troops and lead the field with 72 fire warriors. There was other units in my army but they were imense. They all proved their worth when it was suppose to be a 3 way battle between tau, space marines and chaos marines; but they decided to double team me. Ok I did get annihalated but my FWs alone caused some almighty damage. I was happy.

Plan to do it again one day and make a heavy pic bat rep.
Tau Vs. Tyranids 0-W 0-D 1-L

Tyranids Vs. Chaos Marines 3-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Space Marines 2-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Tau 1-W 0-D 0-L

Va're'x Campaign Battle #1 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #2 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #3 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #4 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #5 --- Va're'x Campaign Battle #6
Raving Bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 09:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Fire warriors ARE the backbone of any Tau army.

I usually play against marines and they always kill far more than their points value.
One time the marines drop podded in 10 sternguard and decided to ignore my fire warriors and shot at my xv8's, killing 1. on my turn the fire warriors unloaded 24 shots (rifle rapid fire) and with markerlight support killed 7 and made the rest leg it away from an objective.

And on another occasion they were charged by terminators, who with all their attacks only killed 2, the FW then attacked and killed 3! winning the combat! then in the same battle my squad of carbines had their fish wrecked by a dreadnought multi-melta. They jumped out, charged the dread and 12 EMP grenades reduced the punk to scrap metal in one turn.

What shows thier worth is that now my FW are nearly always my opponents first target.

Fire Warriors rock!!!!!!

FACT!!!!
Vs Orks: W4 L1 D1
Vs Eldar: W3 L1 D0

Tyranids Record
Vs Space Marines: W7 L1 D1
Vs Orks: W5 L2 D2
mixer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 10:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
greetings!

In my local club there are 4 tau players and most of them overlook the humble fire warrior. Seeing this I decided to take a heavy fire warrior list. And it is very affective, I would like to ask if any of you have had good experience with the humble fire warrior...
yup. they're terrible. Kroot have far more flexibility in any given scenario (ive seen a 20strong squad of kroot eat 1500pts of bad guys in a 5 game tournament consistently, and i've had my own 12 man squad eat 500pts of space marine. they've performed consistently), and the real killing power in any tau list is in its heavy support (ie tanks, and broadsides), and not in its grunts with pulse rifles.

Quote:
I had a squad in melee take out, within one turn of each of them, a Chaos Demon and Prince. Just one squad. I love the Firewarriors, but I like the mobility of Devil fish. I just need to know when the best time to drop them out and attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian
Fire Warriors are awesome and a must for any Tau player. And don't always think they suck in combat. I took out a chaplin on bike with 8 fire warriors. Can you say DAMN!!!!
Quote:
And on another occasion they were charged by terminators, who with all their attacks only killed 2, the FW then attacked and killed 3! winning the combat! then in the same battle my squad of carbines had their fish wrecked by a dreadnought multi-melta. They jumped out, charged the dread and 12 EMP grenades reduced the punk to scrap metal in one turn.
good rolls, nothing more. even fire warriors roll 6s occassionally. and terminators will eventually roll a bunch of 1s. you've got to ask yourself though can they pull off stunts like that every game? No, they will not.

then again, you get the opposite scenario as well-a single chaos lord cutting his way through 40 of them...

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 10:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree that kroot in large numbers are great, i always field at least 1 squad of 20. But i think that a nice balance of kroot and fire warriors is the best way to go. You say good rolls and probably for the main correct, but the reason kroot are effective is weight of numbers. 20 kroot rapid firing is 40 shots, thats why they cut down opponents, on average your gonna make your opponent make 5-10 saves depending on the target per turn. I reckon if kroot were limited in squad size like FW they wouldn't be anywhere near as effective, for example 6 kroot are no comparison to 6 FW. plus kroot in the open can't last like FW with 4+ sv.
Vs Orks: W4 L1 D1
Vs Eldar: W3 L1 D0

Tyranids Record
Vs Space Marines: W7 L1 D1
Vs Orks: W5 L2 D2
mixer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 11:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Had instances where my Tau friend fields 10 and had them off the table as soon as an Ork lobba hits them. Was thinking about starting a thread regarding the durability of Firewarriors when compared to other units. But I feel that even with LD8 (With Shas'ui), when 2-3 of them dies after a couple of autocannon shot, you'll be rolling 7s.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 16:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer86
I agree that kroot in large numbers are great, i always field at least 1 squad of 20. But i think that a nice balance of kroot and fire warriors is the best way to go. You say good rolls and probably for the main correct, but the reason kroot are effective is weight of numbers. 20 kroot rapid firing is 40 shots, thats why they cut down opponents, on average your gonna make your opponent make 5-10 saves depending on the target per turn. I reckon if kroot were limited in squad size like FW they wouldn't be anywhere near as effective, for example 6 kroot are no comparison to 6 FW. plus kroot in the open can't last like FW with 4+ sv.
A 7 point model is less capable than a 10 point model? What a shocker...