Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Another New Guy post ( HELP!)
Old 10 Jun 2010, 14:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Slippery
Default Another New Guy post ( HELP!)

Well I guess what I would like to know is, based on my current army what type of force would it be and what models would it need to be succesful? I have never read a rulebook but intend too soon, so I have no idea about HQ and Fast Attack etc.

I chose Tau because I like the idea of a force that hits hard and fast at a distance.
Personally I was thinking of adding some Pathfinders with Carbines and another 3 with Railguns.

Current Forcewell after I pay this guy for all of them apart from a Battleforce and Broadside $200 AUD)

4 Broadside Battlesuits
9 XV25 Stealthsuits
3 Piranha Light Skimmers
2 Devilfish Troop Carriers & 1 Devilfish Tank (Difference?)
5 Crisi XV8 Battlesuits
1 Tau Commander
2 Etherials
42 Fire Warriors
12 Kroot Carnivores

I know how good you guys at TO here with helping eachother out, so
Thanks in advance!

Slip,
Old 10 Jun 2010, 14:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Another New Guy post ( HELP!)

what configuration are the XV-8 and the commander?

What do you mean by a devilfish tank? A Devilfish transport with SMS instead of drones or a hammerhead (long railgun on top)??

Currently I would go with:

-Commader
-10 fire warrior +Devilfish x3
-12 kroot
-2 broadsides with Advanced stabilisation system x2

And pathfider are a big yes, as well as a hammerhead.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2010, 14:32   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Most of the army I am buying of a guy soon/ Assembled and unpainted
So its still pretty much whatever wargear I decide.

EDIT******

12 of the Fire Warriors have Pulse Carbines, the rest are Pulse Rifles.
The Commander has a Burst Cannon and Cyclonic Ion Blaster.
The Battlesuits have Burts Cannons, Plasma Guns and Missle Pods (Heaps of other weapons though)
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If the Crisis suits aren't armed yet, I'd probably try to balance out your weapons loadout until you get some more suits. Each Crisis (including the commander) suit has to have a total combination of 3 weapons/hard point wargear, although commanders and Crisis suit team leaders can have declared hardwired gear that do not use up any of these slots, which is pretty handy.

Because he's mandatory, I'd make sure your Crisis Commander to be somewhat versatile: add a Plasma Rifle bit and either a Missile Pod bit or a Cyclic Ion Blaster bit (a metal piece only available in the Commander XV-8 box, so it's a good possibility you may have it). This'll make your Commander useful for about any role, with PR + MP being better at transport hunting and the PR+CIB is better for hordes/medium infantry. For a better read on ways to load out your commander, here's an article I'd suggest: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,94225.0.html

Your remaining 5 Crisis suits should be split into two roles. Becase of the weapons available to only Crisis suits, I'd suggest the following.

Three Crisis suits should be teamed up in a Deathrain role. This (usually) means using twin-linked Missile Pods and either a Target Array (to improve your ability to hit) or a Flamer (because it's cheap and better for light infantry) as your three hard point options. These guys should be popping a vehicle each turn with decent success. Personally, I alternate a suit or two to have a Twin-linked Flamer and a single Missile Pod, but I do that mostly for wound allocation and that's your personal preference.

Depending on your enemy, you'll want your other 2 Crisis suits to be Helios Role (Plasma Rifle and Fusion Blaster) or Blinding Spear role (Plasma Rifle and Burst Cannon) with your third hardpoint item being a Multi-tracker to allow you to fire both weapons at the same time. Helios is ideal for taking out heavy tanks or heavily armed infantry while Bladestorm gives you upto 5 attacks to take out incoming waves of infantry.

Again, look at your commander to supplement either role in case one of your suits gets damaged in combat or you need to concentrate more firepower for the kill.

To answer your question on what you should add to your army, as Boneguard as stated, if your 'Devilfish Tank' is not a Hammerhead (a variation of the Devilfish hull with either a large railgun or the ion cannon on the turret), I would get one of those. The best way to take care of that is via the Sky Ray tank box. It contains all of the bits to not only make the Devilfish, but then to alter the turret to be either the Sky Ray missile defense unit or put a Hammerhead Railgun/Ion Cannon there and it's usually the same price as the Devilfish or Hammerhead itself.

Pathfinders with Rail Rifle are currently mediocre units at best. I purchased a couple but they are too expensive for what they do and, overall, a sniper team (which has a unit with a markerlight to improve your ability to hit and 3 sniper drones that have the Rail Rifle with a stealth generator to them) seems to be more effective if you wish to field them (game points wise and cost wise, a sniper team is is equivalent to 4 Rail Rifle Pathfinders for the most part). I would suggest sticking with regular Pathfinders, however, as they are our cheapest source of Markerlights to support your army.

How many gun drones do you have? You'll need at least 10 minimum for the Piranhas and the Devilfish troop carriers you have. The rest, however, can be left weaponless and then declared to be shield drones. Shield drones are a necessity to keeping your Crisis suits and Broadsides alive so you should consider making the aforementioned "mod" to claim some. Technically there is an official bit to add on to a drone to make it a Shield Drone, but those are rare and as long as you're consistent, you should find that few people will notice/care about the fact your Shield Drones don't have the actual piece to them.

Finally, look into more Kroot. I'd suggest getting at least 8 more so you can field two squads of them, and then throwing in Kroot Hounds. The Hounds are dirt cheap (game point wise) and really improve the Kroot close combat ability when they're added to a squad. However, they are expensive to purchase, but here are some suggested alternatives: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...tml#msg1344865 I like 10 Kroot Hounds myself so you can field a single squad of 10 Kroot and 10 Hounds, or if you do get the 8 more regular Kroot, you have 2 squads of 10 Kroot and 5 Hounds that'll cost you only 100 points a pop.

Good luck to you with your purchase and foray in to the Tau. Remember to fight for the Greater Good!

Sincerely,
BPC

EDIT: Minor math fail that has been corrected
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:30   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the help!
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

The fire warriors w/carbines can go in the Devilfish as Pathfinders.

Still need to know what you mean by Devilfish Tank though. A kitted out Warfish/Smartfish, is very very different from a Hammerhead with a Railgun/Ioncannon.

The Commander I would change to the Aurora, CIB and Plasma Rifle.

The XV8s, well that depends on your Common Enemies, I personally like 1 Deathrain Team, TL Missile Pods. And 1 Helios Team, Plasma Rifle and Fusion Blaster.

I ususall attatch the Commander to the Helios Squad, making a 4 man team with 4 shield drones. and enough fire power to redica anything to rubble and ash.

Ninja'd - DAMN YOU BPC!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2010, 16:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

To paraphrase the awesome Dan Aykroyd: "Jayne, you ignorant slut."

Sorry, I couldn't resist... but I even did link to your own Commander Configuration thread with the beloved Aurora build

Sincerely,
BPC
Old 10 Jun 2010, 18:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Well thankyou very much. Its about time my brilliance was recognised around here :P

We both said basicly the same things though, so no harm done, just shows how popular the idea is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2010, 19:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Well thankyou very much. Its about time my brilliance was recognised around here :P

We both said basicly the same things though, so no harm done, just shows how popular the idea is.
Indeed, although it was just perfect that you gave me the opening for a classic Aykroyd quote and I was just thinking about that earlier today. Just like when a Chaos Lord rolls a 1 for his Daemon Weapon, fate simply smiles upon you sometimes.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 20:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

(The troll is gone. Thank the mods)

As for your tau army, have you considered a Skyray?

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Lord Scythican is offline   Reply With Quote