Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot Selective Breeding
Closed Thread
Old 24 Jul 2005, 04:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Kroot Selective Breeding

The Kroot mutate based on what they eat, so why don't the Tau make good use of this trait? Sure, they don't like them eating, but do they realize that the Kroot could be more powerful than they already are? If they selectively breed Kroot with food that makes them stronger, tougher, and more intelligent, the Kroot would become powerhouses. How come the Tau haven't thought about this.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 04:56   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Kroot Selective Breeding

The Kroot already use selective breeding.* That is how the Shapers "lock in" to the kindred the traits it gains by eating certain foes.

I'm sure the Tau have though about it, but I doubt that they would be allowed to meddle too much in this aspect of the Kroot culture.* The Kroot are not slaves to the Tau, nor are they a subservient culture.* They are willing partners with the Tau, but the Tau can't really make them do anything, particularly something so important to the Kroot.* Even then, I imagine the Shapers know what they are doing far better than any among the Tau could hope to.* Kroot evolution is not like that of Tyranids.* It takes time for the Kroot to change themselves substantially.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 04:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

But the Ethereals and Water caste would have high charisma, and could persuade the Shapers to try breeding stronger, tougher Kroot...for the Greater Good.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 05:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i like the fluff regarding this.

the kroot are up to their own agenda. their 'Spheres' (ships of their own design) come and go to who knows where, least of all the Tau. It has even been said that the Kroot are coming back very different than when they left.

the implications are that (in fact its been stated in Kroot Mercenary Rules) the kroot ARE still evolving for their own greater good. they hire out to work for anybody, really, and get to feed.. and adapt. *i recall reading (somewhere) about kroot that are evolving tolerance to death world atmospheres (like chlorine) and such. the fact that NONE of this is condoned or really known to the Tau themselves is either alarming, or heartwarming.... either its a mess in the making, or it shows how tolerant and benevolent the Tau really are.

whatever the true issue, i doubt any Tau would presume to demand a Kroot to do ANYTHING, and simply choose to live harmoniously with them, and employ them and their services
Old 24 Jul 2005, 09:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

kroot when bred into something too much... end up like the kroot hound and krootox.... they hit an evolutionary dead end as such and cannot change any more.
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 24 Jul 2005, 11:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tau use selectrive breeding themselves - that's how the Castes have survived as long as they have.

Over the centuries their selectrive breeding has given each of the Castes their distinct traits - skill at arms, piloting mastery, diplomacy, building genius and unrivialed leadership. This is why the Castes are not allowed to interbreed (and why it appears in fluff that Castes don't even mix socially), because it would threaten everything they have worked to achieve.

The Kroot would be viewed as a different Caste, like all Tau, and left to bettering themselves without meddling from others.

~Andromidius
Old 26 Jul 2005, 14:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromidius
Tau use selectrive breeding themselves - that's how the Castes have survived as long as they have.*

Over the centuries their selectrive breeding has given each of the Castes their distinct traits - skill at arms, piloting mastery, diplomacy, building genius and unrivialed leadership.* This is why the Castes are not allowed to interbreed (and why it appears in fluff that Castes don't even mix socially), because it would threaten everything they have worked to achieve.

The Kroot would be viewed as a different Caste, like all Tau, and left to bettering themselves without meddling from others.

~Andromidius
Tau use something more akin to passive eugenics—people of the same caste mate and produce children, and the more successful traits get passed on more often, and is something we see on Earth a lot. The Kroot's process is something a lost more supernatural.

http://RyanCannon.com
Closed Thread