Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skimmer Question
Closed Thread
Old 24 Jul 2005, 02:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Skimmer Question

Alright. This came up recently in a game and I want to know if anyone has the official version. Skimmers have the Skimmers Moving Fast rule which we all know is nice when the enemy gets his chance to shoot at us. They also have a rule in the mainbook that tells us, for assault purposes, they are always treated as having moved more than 6 inches. This affects the target number your opponent needs to roll to hit your vehicle after he assaults it. So, here's the question.

I've moved my DFish 12 inches forward to use FoF. My enemy assaults with the remainder of his forces, but targets the DFish. Due to the assault rules, which work off how far the vehicle moved in order to determine to-hit target numbers, he has to roll really high to pull off a successful hit. Does the Skimmer Moving Fast rule still impact this assault? I mean, even if he hits, is it still just a Glance or does he actually have a possibility of Penetrating?

Please let me know one way or the other. My friends and I want to make sure we're doing this right. All of us have Skimmer vehicles, though I imagine they're the only two that will actually assault. Tau suck at the close range. Eldar and Ultramarines don't.

Thanks ahead of time.

-Sightline
Old 24 Jul 2005, 03:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Skimmer Question

Well, in this situation, they'd have to roll six to hit, and can only glance.
That's presuming the skimmer in question moves at least six inches.
If a skimmer moves six inches, then you can only glance, and you need sixes to hit a skimmer anyways. So that's how it's added up.

Is that enough, do is there anything else you would like to ask ^_^?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 24 Jul 2005, 03:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yea the main rulebook kinda confuses with its redundancy.. especially when the redundant rules are a single sentence apart....

what it basically means is that skimmer are ALWAYS a 6 to hit in Hand to Hand, even if they dont move. (ever heard of a SMurf Sarge 'pogo-sticking' with his powerfist, trying to crush a skimmer?? boy, i do! thats a funny scene)

note that this DOESNT mean skimmers that are immobilized.. those are obviously easy targets.

the point im confused on is Rending Weapons..... Genestealers and Assault Cannons guning for a Skimmer.. does the first 6 count, or not? of COURSE the renders say it does, but thats a very biased assertion, one that i cant take without question...
Old 24 Jul 2005, 03:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wait, things can only hit skimmers in CC on a 6? Is that regardless of WS? Sorry but I don't own a rulebook, but I may buy one of those Macragge ones on e-Bay for dirt cheap.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 04:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Mobile Skimmers can only be hit on a six, fluffwise it's between the height it is elevated over the battlefield and the speed it is travelling.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 04:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Is there something like this with shooting, too? Cause now I'm thinking about FoF with new light.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 04:26   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

You know we can't be too direct in how we quote from the rulebook, but yes, non-immobilized skimmers can only be hit on a 6 in close-combat.* Skimmers may be hit as normal in the shooting phase.* There is no lessened chance to hit as there is in assault.

The glancing/penetrating thing working in close-combat is more complicated. *That rule is in the section that covers shooting at vehicles, and is explained as the difficulty in scoring a good hit on a fast-moving vehicle. *The "hit-on-a-6" rule is similar, except it also represents the difficulty in hurting something capable of flying well over your head.

This is the best-case, positive-light interpretation. *The rule on page 71 tells us the skimmers always count as moving 6", whether or not they move. *There is no direct reason this should not also apply to the rules on page 69. *Skimmers may only ever be glanced in assault, until they are immobilized. *If you wanted to extend it even further, you could make the rule on page 71 apply to the shooting phase, as well, although no one should let you get away with it. *

This is the strict, worst-light interpretation. *The Skimmers moving fast rule is worded in a way that makes it seem to apply more to shooting than assault. *Furthermore, the rule is found in the shooting section, not the assault section. *Skimmers may always be penetrated in close-combat, whether or not they actually move. *The 6+ is protection enough. * >

This is my interpretation. *If we take the statement on page 71 as applying to the shooting phase, then skimmers could only ever be glanced, whether or not they move, at least until they are immobilized. *This cannot be what was intended. *I am guessing that the "hit-on-a-6" rule is the only one effected by the statement on page 71, which makes sense as it is in the same section. *A skimmer can downgrade penetrating hits only if it actually moved more than 6" prior to the assault.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 10:32   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Alright. Good point there Khan. The rulebook is pretty specific about actual distance moved on the board instead of number of inches we say it's been moved. I think it quotes something to that effect. So, looks like the glance rolls over. I don't have a problem with it... and neither will the Ultramarine once he gets his Land Speeders up and running.

Thanks again, all.

-Sightline
Closed Thread