Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau withdraw
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jul 2005, 04:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau withdraw

With all this talk of ne units, codex and peolpe arguing about Tau and CC, I have an idea for you to think about.

Its in tau battle strategy to avoid combat right. So how about having them be able to do it.

For example

Any tau unit in CC can opt to withdraw from combat however they forfiet the ability to strike back at opponents and they count as falling back in the following phase and must attempt to regroup if they fail this and are subsequently assulted they will be wiped out. The enemy can make the normal consolidation move.

This would allow us to get more out of the assult phase without really assulting.

what do you all think?
Old 22 Jul 2005, 05:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8
Default Re: Tau withdraw

Good idea,and i mean it cause i play tau, but how exactly do you withdraw from combat? The enemy that is trying to bash your brains out isn't going to stop when you say "I'm going to withdraw from combat now".

Aquila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 22 Jul 2005, 05:34   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesalin
Any tau unit in CC can opt to withdraw from combat however they forfiet the ability to strike back at opponents and they count as falling back in the following phase and must attempt to regroup if they fail this and are subsequently assulted they will be wiped out. The enemy can make the normal consolidation move.

This would allow us to get more out of the assult phase without really assulting.
All too powerfull, especially with an etheral. Gives the ability to rapidfire into the enemy on your next turn. How about playing in such a way that you do not end up in CC in the first place?
Old 22 Jul 2005, 05:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila_XV8
Good idea,and i mean it cause i play tau, but how exactly do you withdraw from combat? The enemy that is trying to bash your brains out isn't going to stop when you say "I'm going to withdraw from combat now".
Maybe you can choose to withdraw only models that are unengaged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuggeN
All too powerfull, especially with an etheral. Gives the ability to rapidfire into the enemy on your next turn. How about playing in such a way that you do not end up in CC in the first place?
Welcome to TO.

How about if you were only able to disengage the unengaged models.

Edit by Jack- If you're quoting multiple people, click the quote button by the post you wish to quote, copy the resulting quote, then hit back, quote the next post, past the previous quote above or below the new quote, and then insert the relevant replys to each quote below the quote, and above the other quote (So that the message read quote-your respons-nextquote-response to nextquote) . For any more than two quotes, copy and past the quotes as before, BUT copy and paste both quotes to add to the next new one.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 07:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think that models with jet pack should be able to withdraw from combat, something like you can't attack at all, and at lowest I value from the group the combat will end. you fall back normaly, and enemy could consolidate 3".
It seems to me ilogical that You can jump out of dense wood but you can't jump out of combat. And as Tau units have usually low I they still recieve most of the attacks this way (except powerfist as they are too slow. Cover can't help you with this.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 08:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I also feel that an ability like this would be too powerful. Generally, the only way to disengage is to "break". which literally means turning your *BACKS* to the enemy, and running as fast as your feet will take you, and hoping they don't cut you down. A "fighting" retreat, would quickly turn into little more than a moving assault.

Generally, the extra D6 you get when falling back, is the bonus you get for having the jet-pack. Still, it would be nice for some units to be able to avoid assaults. Drones, for instance, could fly out of reach of hand to hand weapons. A battle-suit probably couldn't sustain the thrust to hover. But drones could.

I remember hearing an idea I liked the other day, which involved a means of imposing difficult terrain tests on assaulters. A force-field of sorts. Mechanically, I like it. Fluffwise, however, it seems pretty high-tech, and might be pushing it. (Then again, the tau *do* have force fields. They show up in some GW Tau dioramas, though I've never seen stats for them.)
Old 22 Jul 2005, 09:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Sheild generators/drones?

And I'm not sure about this atm, but I think in the latest FAQ for the Tau codex, models with jetpack fallback etc as detailed in the rulebook, not the codex.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 11:37   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesalin
How about if you were only able to disengage the unengaged models.
That would essentially require a player to divide a unit, which rulewise would be unthinkable. The only thing that one should be able to do, in my oppinnion, is to retreat from CC with a walker, and even then only in cases where the walker cannot be damaged by the other models. Being locked in CC with a defiler with 6 stealths is not nice, but it was my missjudgement that led to that and it was only fair that I lost the squad. Stupid me.

But no, tau do not need a "Voluntary fallback" rule, we don't need more CC units. We are a shooty army that should pay the price in CC.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 12:30   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Voluntary fallback would only be possible in an army that is very agile in close combat, since it is very difficult to escape unbroken opponents without being destroyed outright. Eldar might be able to manage it. Tau would be about the last army I would expect to be able to pull this off.

Balance-wise, it would be too effective and prone to bizarre complications.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 12:38   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Balance-wise, it would be too effective and prone to bizarre complications.
Exactly, as if the current rule-sets wouldn't already be "full" of such.