Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

D'oi question of the day
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jul 2005, 17:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default D'oi question of the day

Tactically speaking, does anyone run intereferance with their FW for the xv8?

As I was reading a thread about fighting nids, it occurs to me that one way to JSJ with the crisis into 12" for rapid fire with plasma rifle or into 18" for TL BC, is to jump over a squad of FW in/behind a barrier.

For example, nids are rushing up to hit the FW and are 24" away. A suit directly behind the FW jumps in front of them, blazes away with MP and TL BC, then jumps back behind them in assault phase. The suit doesn't block the FW shooting, and the crisis can't be assualted in the nid turn.

Haven't tried this, but it sounds interesting. Any comments?

Wanax
Old 21 Jul 2005, 17:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: D'oi question of the day

That might work, but I prefer using mounted FW, so it may be good to have your Crisis Battlesuits join into the FoF fun.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 17:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

Yes that works. Another variation that I like to use with the XV8's is to jump ahead of my stealth squad, fire and then jump behind them. Stealths count as being in cover when assaulted, so even though their I sucks, they still get their 2 attacks each off. On top of that, if I'm not mistaken, the enemy unit would have to take a sighting test to see if it can assault the stealths. Now that may or it may not be a reasonable thing (say the enemy was within 6" to start with), but against Nids, with their leaping assualts, well its possible, unlikely but possible they wont see the stealths and won't be able to assualt. Given their new range...I love the smell of toasted Nid in the morning.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
Old 21 Jul 2005, 17:48   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think it depends on the numbers of the brood you are shooting at. If it's a minimized brood of say 16 gaunts or something different like warriors or raveners. Then i would say yes. You could potentially inflict 5 wounds with that suit and damage it enough to have the Fw sqaud you are hiding behind not wiped out in the next cc phase. also the FW sqaud would do about 6 wounds destroying a brood quite enough to survive the assault.

But if you would be standing against a maxed out brood of 32 gaunts your 11 wounds won't stop it from hacking trough your fire warriors.

My solution to this problem would be to actually move the fw sqaud forward and rapid fire with them. And then move the xv8 back in the assault phase. effectively bringing it out of consolidation range.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 17:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good point on the consolidation move preditor.

I wanted the FW behind cover to get the first punch in the assault, as I doubt with a 6" move I would get into rapid fire range. Nids stop at 24" then strike in the next turn with fleet of claw and assault. If I rushed forward I would be 18" away not 12"...

Better to stay behind cover IMO and at least get my FW one good punch. BTW, I've not seen a 32 man nid unit before. I see 16 usually, but I am rather new at this.

Wanax
Old 21 Jul 2005, 18:10   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well i have faced 32 man units of gaunts before and they are a nightmare for tau players. especially with the new Without Number rule which my regular nid opponent likes very much. He buys them cheap then uses 2 maxed out sqauds with scuttlers and spinefists. moving them between 18 and 24" ont the first turn.

That's why I also stick to cover and give my FW sqauds photon grenades and hope for the best. Altough an expensive upgrade it helped saved my skin a couple of times. I normally don't get to shoot at them too much because of his broodlord with genestealers. Which i like to shoot first (after one too close encounter of the third kind ).

Also cover can be negated by the flesh hooks upgrade that can sprout out of any tyranid nowadays. better to shoot them down before they can eat you i think.

on another note:
spinefists are realy crazy weapons with their TL rule. Twin linking is a little too strong in my opinion
Old 21 Jul 2005, 19:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaso Wanax
Tactically speaking, does anyone run intereferance with their FW for the xv8?

As I was reading a thread about fighting nids, it occurs to me that one way to JSJ with the crisis into 12" for rapid fire with plasma rifle or into 18" for TL BC, is to jump over a squad of FW in/behind a barrier.

For example, nids are rushing up to hit the FW and are 24" away.* A suit directly behind the FW jumps in front of them, blazes away with MP and TL BC, then jumps back behind them in assault phase.* The suit doesn't block the FW shooting, and the crisis can't be assualted in the nid turn.

Haven't tried this, but it sounds interesting.* Any comments?

Wanax
In my opinion against nids you should change your priorities a bit. You are protecting a 60pt (roughly) model with a 120pt unit? That could prove a little costly, especially as those Fire Warriors will mow down the nids a lot easier than a crisis suit, in fact, even if it is a Crisis Suit Commander it would be better to drop your fire warriors back, wait for the nids to move closer and then hit them with rapid fire.

Old 21 Jul 2005, 19:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Point taken 42, but I'm not trying to protect the FW with the crisis, I'm trying to augment the FW fire with the crisis. The FW are not obstructed from firing with the crisis in the way (he is flying).

My reasoning for this line of question is that when I played nids, he didn't let me get any rapid fire opportunities. he went from 24" into assault in one turn. 12 shots into a 16 gaunt unit produces on average 6 kills. 12 shots plus 5 shots should produce drop him below 50% with 8 kills (BC are TL).

Still I want to help the FW but I don't want to crisis to take the assault as the FW behind obsticle will have a better CC ability during the assualt.

Wanax
Old 21 Jul 2005, 20:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Ah I see, then probably I woul suggest mounting some of your fire warriors and striking when the moment is right. Certainly the best thing against nids will be rapid firing fire warriors, but you may just have to be patient and pick the right moment, the fish should provide the Fire Warriors with a safe haven from assault for long enough and can also chip away with the burst cannon.

Old 21 Jul 2005, 21:02   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Even in cover, Fire Warriors aren't going to stand much chance against even Gaunts. Even if they survive the first turn, they will probably never win combat or survive a second turn. This might be a good work-around if you get into a bad situation, but I wouldn't use it as a plan from the outset.
Closed Thread