Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Crisis Suits or Stealth Suits?
Old 01 May 2010, 02:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Crisis Suits or Stealth Suits?

I've been wondering, which do you prefer? Or, rather when it comes down to that last Elite choice and you already have 2 teams of Crisis Suits, do you go for a third or throw in a Stealth Suit team for that added bit of anti-light infantry/infiltration?
Old 01 May 2010, 02:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Crisis Suits or Stealth Suits?

I love stealth suits! I really do! I even dedicated an entire army to them! It took days to make it work well! Stealthsuits look awesome, they are 'invisible', they have some very scary guns, they can deepstrike and infiltrate! AWESOME!!!!

Which is why it pains me to know that a battlesuit is always slightly better for slightly less points. Though I do like to include a unit of 6 Stealth suits in my usual armies, and have them infiltrate somewhere to be a thorn in my enemy's side... If push really came to shove, I'd take a battlesuit over a stealth suit. More weapon options, stronger weapon combinations, more survivable at closer range, cheaper, the list goes on...

Sadly, I have to give this one to the Battlesuits...
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 03:21   #3 (permalink)
uno
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to uno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrelio
I love stealth suits! I really do! I even dedicated an entire army to them! It took days to make it work well! Stealthsuits look awesome, they are 'invisible', they have some very scary guns, they can deepstrike and infiltrate! AWESOME!!!!

Which is why it pains me to know that a battlesuit is always slightly better for slightly less points.
May I put this quote in my sig? ;D
The odds of an Aurora killing 7 Termies in one turn are so slim it's close to the odds of the Space Marines getting updated last in 6th Edition and getting nerfed. "With a lot of luck" is the understatement of the century.
Quote:

Which is why it pains me to know that a battlesuit is always slightly better for slightly less points.
uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 03:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It generally would be up in the air for me.

Battle suits are probably the better choice, But I love stealthsuits, I'd probably more likely go with them, I just field a squad of 6 all with burst cannons and the just mow infantry down. They've saved me from Genestealers many a time.
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 04:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno
Quote:

May I put this quote in my sig? ;D
Of course, always nice to be appreciated
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 05:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you're going competitive Battlesuits win hands down :-\. Heatwave, Helios, Fireknife, Deathrain, Firestorm... that's about it, but those 4 suit variants pretty well cover what Tau need most. Cheap anti-Horde, anti-light tank/MC, anti-infantry, anti-TEq/MEq are all things we need, and we can get them all from XV8s quite well... Stealth can do anti-horde about as well as Heatwaves (less kills in one go, but longer lifespans ), but they suffer from T3 and costing more... and having a larger footprint...

[hr]
But since I don't care about competitive anymore (with my Tau, my Eldar are going to continue kicking ass and taking names with bad ass TAC lists >) I bring a Stealth Marker Team, minimum, and another 6 man vanilla Stealth Squad if I'm feeling like it. I've had lots of fun with Stealth, and since it's a game I like to have fun...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 07:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I guess I'll help beat the crap out of this dead horse and go ahead and say Crisis suits > Stealth suits. The higher toughness, the 2 wounds and the better point efficiency wins. Twinlinking their weapons also makes them more accurate as well as being strength 5 in close combat. You also get a wider variety of weapons to put on them which makes them much more versatile. Additionally, I find that the stealth field generator never really offers any decent protection as you have to move within 18' of your target to shoot them anyway. When your opponents are within 18" they've got a better than 50% chance to spot you anyway, so the stealth fields offer very little protection. They're also somewhat redundant as well. In a Tau army it's not difficult to find a lot of strength 5 shooting. Stealth suits don't really bring anything special to the table except for a maximum of 2 fusion blasters or if you wanna spend a RIDICULOUS amount of points they field a large number of Marker Lights from marker drones. I recommend neither. As much as people like to debate it pathfinders are a better source of marker lights. Additionally, Crisis suits are a better source of melta gun fire. So there really isn't a roll in the Tau army that stealth suits fill that can't be filled in other ways. Crisis suits are better for fusion guns, fire warriors are better for strength 5 shooting and Pathfinders are better for Marker lights. So what would you really take Stealth suits for?
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 08:39   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

the stealth suit functions from <24" (18" + 6" JSJ). due to their equipment and special rules, it's easy to get them and keep them in this range from the enemy. you can have them be using their guns from turn 1.

from this range enemy shots have >50% of having NO EFFECT

what does that sound like? it sounds like a 4+ invul.sav to me!

so, for JUST 30pts, you get...

1) 3 STR5 shots
2) nifty special rules to get them where you want them from turn 1.
3) and a 4+ invul.sav.

thier ONLY con is their limited use; anti light/medium infantry, thats all they are good at
Iggynous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 09:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well there is the fusion blaster. 6 xv25s with 2 fusion blasters and targeting arrays accompanied with the burst cannons with target locks.

Click to join the Movement
salamut2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 09:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
he stealth suit functions from <24" (18" + 6" JSJ). due to their equipment and special rules, it's easy to get them and keep them in this range from the enemy. you can have them be using their guns from turn

1.from this range enemy shots have >50% of having NO EFFECT

what does that sound like? it sounds like a 4+ invul.sav to me!
Not exactly accurate. The You will end your shooting phase exactly 24" from your opponent but the problem comes at the start of your opponents turn. If they are infantry models on foot then they will move 6" towards you in their turn. This cuts this range down to 18". At the 18" range your opponent has a somewhat better than 50% chance to be able to see your unit when shooting. This doesn't take into account the units that can move 12" and shoot such as jump infantry, bikes, and many many vehicles. Once your opponent is within 12" then you might as well not even bother with the stealth field generator. Additionally, making sure that you're at EXACTLY these measurements isn't as easy as it sounds. You can't pre-measure distance from a target so you have to do it all by eye. You're bound to give or take a few inches here or there and during the course of the game this can add up. You end up having to protect them from assaults by blocking them with skimmers. This isn't as good of a tactic as it used to be now that are skimmers are hit against rear armor in assault. This tactic can work against regular infantry on foot but if they're jump infantry, bikes or if they're in a transport then it's a no go.

Quote:
1) 3 STR5 shots
Is it really that hard to find strength 5 shooting in a Tau army?

Quote:
2) nifty special rules to get them where you want them from turn 1.
NEVER infiltrate with your stealth suits. It defeats the purpose of even having them to begin with. The idea is to play keep away with your opponent, not to move them closer. If you wanna use this rule to outflank then that's fine. But the problem that you run into is that you end up not having them on the table for the crucial first 2 turns of the game. The first 2 turns are crucial for the tau because in these turns you're going to be able to shoot your opponent with damn near impunity. You need to maximize the shooting in this turn because you want to kill the fastest units so that you don't spend the next few turns wondering how to survive an assault.

Also, NEVER EVER EVER deepstrike your stealth suits. Just... no.

Quote:
3) and a 4+ invul.sav.
I understand the point you're trying to get across, but no. If your opponent is dumb enough not to move then it works fine. But against opponents who actually do move their units then you're in for a little bit rougher treatment than you think.

Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote