Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

a drone army
Closed Thread
Old 19 Jul 2005, 17:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default a drone army

ok i admit it im a newb my gameing history deals a lot with battle tech. i loved takeing in small fast units and flanking from every posible direction. i would like to make an army out of mostly drones. so my question is are there any tips you can give me ?

(\_/) this is a bunny
(x.x) bunny is dead
'(__)' he tastes funny hehehe
Old 19 Jul 2005, 17:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: a drone army

um fast mobile units would be better with FW in Dfish. the drones are fast attack not troop. and with the FoF tactic you will hit hard and dissapear

When children goto bed they check their bedrooms for the boogie man. When the boogie man goes to bed he checks his bedroom for Chuck Norris
Old 19 Jul 2005, 17:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'el'caff'ukos
um fast mobile units would be better with FW in Dfish. the drones are fast attack not troop. and with the FoF tactic you will hit hard and dissapear*
??? huh ???

(\_/) this is a bunny
(x.x) bunny is dead
Old 19 Jul 2005, 17:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sorry
drone squadrons are fast attack so in 1 force org chart you may only have 3. they are also not the best units but you can mount fire warriors in Devil Fish transports to make them more mobile. FoF is Fish of Fury for which there are several topics already. use the search function to find them.

When children goto bed they check their bedrooms for the boogie man. When the boogie man goes to bed he checks his bedroom for Chuck Norris
Old 19 Jul 2005, 17:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'el'caff'ukos
um fast mobile units would be better with FW in Dfish. the drones are fast attack not troop. and with the FoF tactic you will hit hard and dissapear
??? huh ???
Ignore him. He obviously didn't read the part about you being a beginner and started using stupid internet jargon.

How new to the game are you? Like extremely green or just inexperienced? If it's the former, then every army in 40k has a force organization chart. Gun drones purchased as a squad, fall into fast attack and you are allowed 3 fast attack choices per army chart.

Gundrones work in squads of 4-8. So a little math tells us the most we can include in any one given army is 24 drones. You can also purchase up to 2 gundrones and a drone controller to attach to certain models, like team leaders, bodyguards and HQ's.

Does that answer your question?

Now on the topic of strength and army efficiency, 24 drones might be pushing it...however if you deepstruck one unit and used the other two to attempt to flank your opponent I could see some use. The problem with a ton of drones is that their leadership is 7, and if they drop to 3 models or less their leadership becomes 4 (which is an automatic failure of any morale check, the majority of the time). So you start to run into issues of relatively expensive units that can be broken pretty easily. The up side is that if you're not a big pathfinder player, they only steal fast attack slots and we only have two choices so it's really a one or the other kind of deal.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 19 Jul 2005, 17:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

im just getting in to the game
Im trying to learn the lingo here

btw what dose "HH" mean?

(\_/) this is a bunny
(x.x) bunny is dead
Old 19 Jul 2005, 17:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

ShadowDeth
thank you for that that you will notice that i clarified myself 2 minutes before you posted i assumed that anyone who had chosen not only to play 40k but a specific army would have done some research into the game. This assumption was backed up by the fact that he asked a specific question about units.

wartang you still seem confused whats up

Old 19 Jul 2005, 18:01   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartang
im just getting in to the game
Im trying to learn the lingo here

btw what dose "HH" mean?
HH refers to the Hammerhead Gunship.

An army focusing on drones would use a full squadron in all three Fast Attack slots.* That is unfortunately the most you could field as independant units, barring those deployed from your vehicles.*

What I would do is take two or three Devilfish-mounted Fire Warrior units as your troop choices.* Take at least two Hammerheads for Heavy-Support, and give them the gun-drones upgrade.* This will require some conversion, but it should be fun.

What this will give you is three 8-man drones units and five or six 2-man units off of the tanks.* I wouldn't use the drone controller, as controlled drones are of little use in the current rules.

This army will be extremely mobile, and will also have very high pinning capabilities against certain armies. Because of the way carbines work, it is to your benefit to have as many seperate units (not models) with carbines firing at a single enemy unit.
Closed Thread