Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Equipping Three Hammerheads
Closed Thread
Old 18 Jul 2005, 17:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Equipping Three Hammerheads

Any comments on equipment for the Mech Hammerhead Trifecta for a tournament 1850 army? It would be more fun and characterful for each to be unique.

My initial thought:

1: "Long-Range Hammer" - Scuttle about the board edges, taking out vehicles and heavy troops
Rail Gun, Burst Cannon, Decoy Launchers, Multi-Tracker, Targeting Array - 170 points

2: "Heavy Infantry Death" - Use terrain for cover, taking ion cannon shots and getting up-close and taking pot-shots with SMS
Ion Cannon, SMS, Decoy Launchers, Multi-Tracker, Targeting Array, Target Lock - 165 points

3: "Tyranids' Woe" - Peek-a-boo! Here comes a large blast template and 8 S5 AP5 shots
Rail Gun, Burst Cannon, Decoy Launchers, Gun Drones Upgrade, Multi-Tracker, Targeting Array, Target Lock - 195 points

With seeker missiles, that would end up ~30% of your army size in heavy support, and pack some mean fire power.

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 18 Jul 2005, 18:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Equipping Three Hammerheads

I'd stick with my tried and trusted:

hammer1 ; railgun, twin burst, multi tracker, decoy launchers, target lock 170
hammer2 ; railgun, twin burst, multi tracker, decoy launchers, target lock 170
hammer3 ; ion cannon, twin burst, multi tracker, decoy launchers, target lock 150

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 19 Jul 2005, 05:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've used deadnights combination and it's fine.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 08:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Decoy Launchers, Multitrackers and Target Locks on all..
2 Railheads and 1 Ionhead, and then just burst cannons, and depending on the situation, maybe 1 SMS on one HH, and maybe Seekers if needed.

But basically what deadnight had.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 12:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Its almost imperative that Hammerheads always has the following options:

multi tracker, decoy launchers, target lock.

From the early responses most here like the 2 Burst Cannon option, but I can't tell you the number of times that SMS has saved me from trying to be flanked by a squad of Genestealers, Tank Hunting Orks or Fire Dragons. Having the ability to fire 4 Strength 5 shots at 24" range w/o having to position your vehicle towards them, or even have LOS is a great luxury. Too many times my opponent will try to sneak around a forest for cover and to his dismay that Genestealer Squad just went from 6 models to 3 in one salvo.

My configuration has always been:

x2 RailHead, Smart Missile System, Multi Tracker, Decoy Launchers, Target Lock
x1 IonHead, Burst Cannons, Multi Tracker, Decoy Launchers, Target Lock

Your option to add seekers depend completely if you use Pathfinders heavily or not. I find it best never to put more than 2 Seekers on any 1 Tau Skimmer. If you don't get the first turn, you'll probably lose one to long range anti-tank weapons destroying your Skimmer before it has the chance to start moving around for that over 6" glance.

-SaturN
Old 19 Jul 2005, 13:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I use usually:
2x Hammerhead - Railgun, SMS, Target Lock, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launcher and Blacksun Filter
1x Hammerhead - Forge World TAU Plasma Cannons, Dual burst cannons, Target Lock, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launcher and Blacksun Filter

And in some scenarios i use this:
1x Hammerhead - Railgun, SMS, Target Lock, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launcher Blacksun Filter
1x Hammerhead - Ion Cannon, SMS, Target Lock, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launcher and Blacksun Filter
1x Hammerhead - Forge World TAU Plasma Cannons, SMS, Target Lock, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launcher and Blacksun Filter

And if i have spare points i give them disruption pods.

Old 19 Jul 2005, 13:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

My Hammerhead set-up is very close to SaturN's for all the reasons he has stated. That extra range on the SMS comes in handy and not needing LoS is one of the most useful things in the game.

I don't take a target lock on the Ionhead though as most things that the Ion is hootign at the Burst Cannons will probably have some effect against and visa-versa.

Heavy I :: Hammerhead; Railgun; Smart Missile System; Multi-tracker; Target Locks; Decoy Launchers.
Heavy II :: Hammerhead; Railgun; Smart Missile System; Multi-tracker; Target Locks; Decoy Launchers.
Heavy III :: Hammerhead; Ion Cannon; Burst Cannons; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launchers.

Old 19 Jul 2005, 13:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Burst cannons vs SMS is really a matter of points and terrain. If your likely to have LOS, burst cannons are cheaper, and get more shots. SMS is a bit longer ranged, and doesn't need LOS, so is good for covering against flanking etc as mentioned, but is slightly more expensive..
Old 19 Jul 2005, 13:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
I don't take a target lock on the Ionhead though as most things that the Ion is hootign at the Burst Cannons will probably have some effect against and visa-versa.
Yeah, I was the same way for quite some time until I started playing against Tyranids. There were too many situations when a squad of guants were within 18" and there was a Warrior Squad at 36" just begging to get Ion'ized. So at that point I never put myself past the ability to pour fire into two different squads at two different ranges... specially when the closest squad was no threat to my HHeads and needed to harass some units down range as well.

-SaturN
Old 19 Jul 2005, 15:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Why would you use Target Locks on Railheads? If your tank were tank-hunting, wouldn't they be further than 18'' away, out of range of the tanks?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Closed Thread