Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions about fish/heads.
Closed Thread
Old 17 Jul 2005, 06:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Questions about fish/heads.

I have a pair of questioins,

1. Do rending claws automaticly inflict glances on a 6 roll 'to hit' on a skimming vehicle?

2. What are the arcs of fire on Skimmer mounted gun drones and burst cannons?
Old 17 Jul 2005, 06:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Questions about fish/heads.

It works this way: 1st the charging squad with rending claws must hit the DF, and for that they need* 6's because it is a skimmer.

For every hit caused he gets to roll a d6 for armour pen, and he will need to roll 6's again to take advantage of the rending ability- for every 6 rolled on the 1st armour pen roll he will get another d6 to roll, which is added to the 1st in calculating whether or not the armour is damaged ( plus the strength of the attacker ).

As long as you moved more than 6" in the previous turn, he can only cause a glancing hit.

For fire arc simply look and see if the gun itself can actually move into position to shoot at the target, if it can, them shoot. If it can't be positioned to shoot directly at the target ( or no clear line of sight ), then you can't. For the most part you will be attempting to face your front armour to the enemy, so fire arc should not be a problem especially* if you pick your targets before you move your vehicles.
Old 17 Jul 2005, 20:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick

2. What are the arcs of fire on Skimmer mounted gun drones and burst cannons?
i regard the burst cannon as having a 180 degree front arc of fire, and the gun drones have 180 degee side arc of fire.
g= gun drone, b = burst cannon

_____
\__g__
b
__g__
_____/

based on this diagram (marvelous artistic rendition of a top down view of a devilfish!), the top gun drone can shoot right, and turning in an anti clockwise motion can swivel 180degrees to face left
bottom gun drone can shoot right, and turning in a clockwise direction can swivel 180degrees to face left
burst cannon can fire from straight up through 180degrees clockwise through right, and straight down and thats its 180 degee line of fire.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 17 Jul 2005, 20:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

'they need* 6's because it is a skimmer.'

I've seen a lot of people say this in the last few days. Am I missing something? because I thought they had taken away the 'hitting skimmers on a 6' rule as close combat now represents firing at close range and throwing grenades etc.

Old 17 Jul 2005, 21:20   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

No. You still need a 6 to hit vehicles moving over 6". Skimmers always count as having moved over 6", whether they actually move or not.
Old 17 Jul 2005, 21:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

'Skimmers always count as having moved over 6", whether they actually move or not.'

Really? I knew I was missing something. Still can't find that in my rulebook though.
Old 17 Jul 2005, 21:40   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
'Skimmers always count as having moved over 6", whether they actually move or not.'

Really? I knew I was missing something. Still can't find that in my rulebook though.
It is on page 71, right under the table that gives the "to-hit" values against vehicles.
Old 17 Jul 2005, 21:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh yes, so it is.

Thanks for that, I had a feeling that I was missing something.
Old 17 Jul 2005, 23:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I think gun drones have a nearly 360 degree firing arc. Only where the hull is blocking sight (10 or 20 degrees, maybe) or where the other gun drone is blocking sight from firing straight across/under the bow, are places they cannot shoot.
Closed Thread