Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinders, drones and enemy target priority ld. tests
Closed Thread
Old 16 Jul 2005, 04:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Pathfinders, drones and enemy target priority ld. tests

Hey, it just occured to me that if you pop the drones off of the DF when pathfinders set up, and place the drones just slightly in front of them, you would force your opponent to pass a ld. test to shoot at the pathfinders. Not a high probability play but once in a while it could help, and it's free.

I'm pretty sure that since the drones count as a separate unit once disembarked from the DF this is right, opinions??
Old 16 Jul 2005, 04:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Pathfinders, drones and enemy target priority ld. tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaso Rama
Hey, it just occured to me that if you pop the drones off of the DF when pathfinders set up, and place the drones just slightly in front of them, you would force your opponent to pass a ld. test to shoot at the pathfinders. Not a high probability play but once in a while it could help, and it's free.

I'm pretty sure that since the drones count as a separate unit once disembarked from the DF this is right, opinions??
You are correct sir.

They do in fact count as a seperate unit, and I believe their leadership will be 4 because they are under 4 drones in size.

Although I guess you could argue their numbers were "never" reduced to below 4. I guess they also can always regroup too, since you can't reduce 2 below 50%.

As for the validity of the idea, I don't see it as a bad one. If someone is going to waste a firing phase from anything to pop two free drones they are welcome to it. I remember myself and a few guys here argued about keeping them on the fish as opposed to dropping them off. I'm in the "drop them off" camp because you can split fire and you force stupid priority tests as you mentioned. Also, devilfish seem to enjoy being stunned a lot so I feel it's better to drop them off in most situations.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 16 Jul 2005, 05:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'll agree hear too. And don't forget, the Drones once deployed don't count for victory points. Their just two twinlinked BS2 S5 models running around. If you're opponent fires at them, he's not gaining anything, and you're not losing anything. Good news all the way around.
Old 16 Jul 2005, 06:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Speaking of which, can the two Gun Drones capture/contest table quarters? It doesn't say they can't in the codex, just that they count as a Drone Squadron. Since they can never be reduced to below 50% (without being destroyed), this could be rather annoying to your opponant...

~Andromidius
Old 16 Jul 2005, 06:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromidius
Speaking of which, can the two Gun Drones capture/contest table quarters? It doesn't say they can't in the codex, just that they count as a Drone Squadron. Since they can never be reduced to below 50% (without being destroyed), this could be rather annoying to your opponant...

~Andromidius
Only if drones could to begin with. Isn't that restricted to Tau infantry?
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 16 Jul 2005, 07:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well in the main rules it says any unit that's not under 50% strength (or immobilised for vehicles) or a dedicated transport can't claim table quarters. All other units that can't are noted in their codices (Nurglings, for example). So going by that logic, Drones can.

Of course, I can't know for sure, and it's probably seriously stretching the rules if you try something like that. Nice to know, though.

~Andromidius
Old 16 Jul 2005, 13:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Drone Squadrons can indeed hold table quarters and objectives. It says they can specifically on page 18 of the codex. So long as they are 4 models or greater, they can hold objectives. A squadron that detaches from a vehicle, will only be 2 models, and thus cannot hold table quarters or score victory points or anything else and their leadership is reduced greatly, again, page 18 specifically noted.

Cheers!
Old 16 Jul 2005, 14:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

It sounds like a neat idea, and also wouldn't it also give some extra security to squads pulling off FoF?
Old 16 Jul 2005, 18:46   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auin'Myrrath
It sounds like a neat idea, and also wouldn't it also give some extra security to squads pulling off FoF?
That is a good question. I would say the target-priority bonus will make no difference, since the Devilfish is already forcing the test. I am still a little hazy on how vehicles factor into target priority, in that you could be forced to fire at a target you had no chance of hurting. I know you can ignore small targets in favor of the closest large target, but the reverse is not true. The Devilfish Drones can be used to block the edges of the Devilfish, although this move can be risky since the drones will most likely be destroyed in the first turn they are charged.
Old 16 Jul 2005, 22:37   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I got a question, may be a stupid one, if u have gun drones latch of a Df can they be used to take the shots for the DF? As in like a person shoots a rocket at my Df and i use the drone to block the attack. But if they Latch off they count as a different unit. Could they join the Df or Hammer head and block shots or they can't block shots at all??