Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Killing 'Nids
Closed Thread
Old 16 Jul 2005, 03:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88
Default Killing 'Nids

I'd post a full battle report, but I didn't write things down turn-by-turn :'(

Anyway, I had a 1000 point game against 'Nids today, just a Seek and Destroy, and pretty much annihilated my opponent (Right Ninja_boy? ;D). I was using 4 Fireknife Crisis suits (One 'el) 2 FW teams with 'Fishes, 16 Kroot and a Railhead (to see my list all nicely written out with upgrades and stuff...well, it's probably here somewhere) My opponent had his Winged Hive Tyrant, 2 Termagaunt Broods with Spinefists (I think...) 2 Hormogaunt Broods, a Genestealer Brood, 2 3-'Nid Warrior Broods, and, of course, a Carnifex

Anyway, I think I learned some useful things from this game.

1. First off, get rid of the little gribblies first. We were only playing on a 4x4 board, so, if I let him, Ninjaboy could have had his gribblies tying up my Crisis suits in combat by Turn 2 or 3. Instead, the aforementioned gribblies were mostly dead by the end of turn two. A hormogaunt and termagaunt squad met its end against massed missile-and-plasma fire from the Crisis suits, and the other two were destroyed by my Kroot. Then I was free to blast everything else with relative impunity

2. Don't forget that genestealers have 4+ saves. I sent a Fire Warrior squad to FoF them to pieces. Trouble is, they had four-plus saves and fleet of foot. Bye-bye Fire Warriors.

3. If your opponent's using a Winged Hive Tyrant, get rid of it early. The Winged Tyrant combines the speed of a gribblie with the fighting power of...well...a monstrous creature. Still, railguns and plasma fire are a good way to bring it down.

4. Crisis suits may look small compared to 'Fexes, but boy, do they ever pack a punch. My crisis suits were easily the heroes of the game. I'm not quite so scared of Carnifexes anymore, as I've learned that Fireknife suits are absolutely devastating against them. Missile pods usually hit on 4s, wound on 3s (he didn't have improved toughness), and then he gets his 3+ armour save. Plasmas hit on 4s, wound on 4s, and there goes a wound. When you've got 4 suits shooting at the fex (as well as the hammerhead, which, as usual, did about nothing) and three within 12", that fex is going to be taking lots of wounds.

5. Warriors go down easy. Although they can pack a punch, Tyranid warriors are ultimately rather weak at soaking up fire. If your opponent hasn't upgraded their armour, they'll just have a 5+ save and your regular fire warriors can destroy them easily. Even with a 4+ save, Fireknife suits can take them down with ease

6. Be ready to run like a whipped dog. Bravery doesn't pay. Use your Crisis suits' jet packs to get the hell out of Dodge and run from assaults like the plague. My gallant Kroot met their end in a turn against a Tyranid Warrior and a 'fex. Not a pretty sight. And I know that the same fate would meet my crisis suits if I let them get close.

7. Use the Kroot against enemy gribblies. If you can get the enemy gaunts out of synapse range, they'll suddenly have Leadership 5. If you win the combat (which you should, unless you just have horrible luck--on the defense, your Kroot should be in forest and thus strike first, and on the offense Kroot get quite a few attacks and often fight simultaneously with the gaunts), then you've got a fairly good chance of overrunning them and destroying them all--a rather rare oppurtunity for a Tau player. (Of course, attack much of anything more than a gaunt with your Kroot and you're asking for them to be destroyed...I found that out the hard way...)

Hope that helped someone...comments?

"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 16 Jul 2005, 05:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Killing 'Nids

Markerlighting Stealth Suits is absolute murder against nids.

And carnifexs still scare the cheese out of me, as I've fought the 300 point variety that sucked up two rounds of consentrated fire.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

It is true that a ship is safest in harbor, but that is not why ships are built.
Old 16 Jul 2005, 07:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Good thoughts on the Tyranids; I hate fighting them, and it's cool to see someone else have some success.

Comments...

Yeah, Carnies are horrid to face. Honestly, your opponent wasn't smart with his upgrades; if he beefed him up, he would have been a lot harder to face (that's almost always what I face, with the beefed T and Sv as you alluded too); I've found most come at him with railguns, because most of the time Plasma only ends up wounding on 5's, and Missle Pods only wound on 4's and they get their save. I was impressed that you actually managed to wipe his puds that easily. I also recently found out that Warriors go down pretty easily. And yes, flying Tyrants sting too, and they can be tough to bring down; good point with the plasma though, hadn't thought of that. And flying Tyrants/Leaping Guants/Jump Infantry and the like are the primary reason I haven't adopted FoF yet (besides excessive points cost and loss of firepower) for my "take-all" list; Fire Warriors end up getting eaten.

Cool post.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 16 Jul 2005, 13:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88

Thanks!

And on the Carnifex--yes, I don't think my opponent will make that mistake again. I'm sure he'll be back, with improved Toughness and Save. Still, I think Plasmas are a good way to go after him. 3 rapid-firing Plasma Rifles should still average one wound a turn, and with railguns and missile pods backing you up, you should still be able to bring the sucker down in a couple turns. Yes, I will agree that it's a lot more difficult, though :-\
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 16 Jul 2005, 19:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

I've played 'Nids more then any other army ive seen so far. In my experience, the Pulse Rifle has been probably the single most usefull weapon I can feild on them. Obviously they make quick work of the horde. But even against the heavy's, Tyrannts and the like...even wounding on a 5+ or even 6+...the shear volume of shots sent out is over whelming. Just last week I dropped a Tyrannt in one turn, one railgun shot, and the other 3 wounds were done at rapid fire range. Even with extended carapace...he's going to fail some saves when presented with a horrid amount of shots.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
Closed Thread