Warhammer 40K Forum

Are Chaos Defeatable?
Closed Thread
Old 15 Jul 2005, 11:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire
Default Are Chaos Defeatable?

Are Chaos defeatable? Well, ofcourse they are, but it's not happening. Everyone I talk to has trouble with Chaos, especially me (I don't talk to myself ;D). There is one person and I cannot beat him, even though he has little more than a battle force. In a 500 point game (his army his always Khorne) he might use a weak commamder (not sure what it is called) with the Mark of Khorne or something (allows Khorne Beserkers to be troops)and two squads of Khorne Beserkers. I might use a 12 sqauad of Fire Warriors, a 12 squad of Kroot, 2seperate XV8 and an XV8 Commander. I'm torn apart. In 750 its basically the same but my squads have some extra stuff and I've included a majorly upgraded RailHead. He counters this with all these cheesey gifts like flight, claws, stature, and the ability to turn into a Bloodthirster! Sometimes he might even add some bikers, at the expense of troops or gifts, which are equipped with melta bombs. If not the bloodthirster, how about some heavy weapons, a rhino and a dreadnought to boot. Yes I have a rail, but it can't stop all of them, and turbo boost on bikes forces to concentrate most of my fire on them, otherwise I'm in assault in no time. I've fought him time and time again and I can;t beat him. Your advice would be greatly aprecciated.
Regards and thanks.
Tyrehire

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 15 Jul 2005, 12:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Are Chaos Defeatable?

just some ion's and some twin linked plama will do fine chaos is just like SM so times more expensive

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 15 Jul 2005, 14:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i have yet to play my bud with his Chaos..but he has the same setup. He always talks about doing the exact same thing as your describing...sounds like a commonly used tactic?

Wonder if setting up a few of the Tau movements where you use the Fish to block the melee (FOF?) would help? Put something in between them and your troops to keep them out of melee...

just guessing here...i have yet to play still in the painting mode

Old 15 Jul 2005, 14:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Khorne armies are the easiest armies to defeat in the entire game IMO.

Give your Railhead a Multi-Tracker (although I'd rather give the Hammerhead an Ion Cannon in this situation). Then just fly on past him with your Hammerhead (so your Hammerhead is the closer to his units than the rest of your force are) and make them follow it back to his own deployment zone, and just lead them round the battle-field all game whilst the rest of your army can shoot at his with impunity. Even if some don't end up chasing after it at least some will, which gives your more fire-power to focus on them.

There is no ability to turn into a BloodThirster.

If he takes the heavy weapons (thus not giving some of his units the mark of Khorne) then it can cause problems for the 'leading them around idea' with your Hammerhead, but it is a durable tank, and you will be moving about 12" a turn and stil firing all weapons.

Old 15 Jul 2005, 14:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I feel your pain, my 1850 chaos opponent fields 2 defilers a 6 man devastator squad with those uberfied slaanesh rock and roll blastmaster badasses while his other six man tac squads field the standard guitar with a blastmaster in each squad his whole force org clumped together in this nice little turtle formation of overlapping sonic death. And if I come within three feet of him with anything not skimming he has as his summons two groups of six demonettes riding steeds (the nasty rending sort) and one standard demonette squad, which is more managable as it doesn't scatter, move twelve, assault twelve like its sisters.

I've found getting out of my fishes doesn't work while he can toss str 8 ap3 pie plates around and that I have horrible luck at removing the defilers and blastmasters from behind their hiding spots before losing my Hammerheads.

I suppose the key for your victory is a combination of mobility (fishes and hammerheads should be able to keep you away from his forces), fire power concentration and shooting the big ones. Well, namely this prince of doom you describe.

Old 15 Jul 2005, 15:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

you need mobility. *get a fish for the fire warriors. *Fly away from the berserkers. *Don't fight berserkers with kroot. *Try this for 500:

2 squads of FW with fish. *One Ethereal.

shoot like mad. *Load up and fly away. *Unload. *Shoot like mad.

You prolly won't get more than 4 turns of shooting, more likely 3, but you'll kill some berserkers, and he'll never get into assault range. *In a victory points game, you win. *Objectives...pray you have the last turn!

For 750, add that Hammerhead and, if there are enough points left, some suits.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 15 Jul 2005, 15:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Tyrehire:

If you treat Khorne like you would treat a fast assault Tyranid army, you'd have it pretty easy. Skimmers. It's really pretty easy when you're mounted up against armies like that. On the ground, you're just meat to him, and he can live through your bombardments. However, if he cannot attack you, he's worthless. I would take 8 man Fire Warrior teams, mount them in some Devilfish. They'll never touch the Devilfish. The hammerhead is nice, but I'd recommend the Ion Cannon against Khorne boys anyday along with burst cannons and just get in his face (for cheap) unleashing 9 shots a turn into his ranks, ripping through 3 of them per turn or more easily. Kroot are good to have as a deterant. They can also move up and unleash some good rapidfire into those berkserker boys if need be.

However, in the end, the more Skimmers you use to protect your infantry from his, the better your games will turn out for you

Example @ 500 points.

HQ - Shas'El Commander; Missile Pods; Plasma Rifles; Multi-tracker
Troop - Fire Warriors x 8; DevilFish; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launchers; Targeting array
Troop - Kroot x 12
Heavy - Hammerhead; Ion Cannon; Burst Cannons; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launchers; Black Sun Filter (or Target Locks)

Example @ 750 points.

HQ - Shas'El Commander; Missile Pods; Plasma Rifles; Multi-tracker
Troop - Fire Warriors x 8; DevilFish; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launchers; Targeting array
Heavy - Hammerhead; Ion Cannon; Burst Cannons; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launchers
Heavy - Hammerhead; Railgun; Burst Cannons; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launchers

Anyhow, I wouldn't recommend doing this (it's cheesy in my opinion - but then again, he's cheesing you it seems) but it's an example to show you what I mean by protecting your force. If he cannot kill you in assault, he cannot kill you at all - and you don't need to be on the ground to shoot guns, so pretty much, you will have the game easily by denying him what he does, while keeping strong at what you do, remaining faster than him the whole time too.

Cheers!
Old 15 Jul 2005, 16:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

if all he has in 500 points is a cheap commander, and berzerker squads, id load up on fire warriors. etherial, and 45 fire warriors. Crisis suits are just not worth it. High volume infantry fire though.....

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 15 Jul 2005, 16:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
if all he has in 500 points is a cheap commander, and berzerker squads, id load up on fire warriors. etherial, and 45 fire warriors. Crisis suits are just not worth it. High volume infantry fire though.....
Typical IG answer...the fire warriors would be slaughtered! Static firepower is not the Tau way, mobile firepower is. I agree about not taking suits at 500 points, but definitely take fish.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 15 Jul 2005, 16:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Typical IG answer...the fire warriors would be slaughtered!* Static firepower is not the Tau way, mobile firepower is.* I agree about not taking suits at 500 points, but definitely take fish.
A Devilfish costs 80 points. a bit too much IMO, especially in 500 points. But thats just me- i rather kill the bugger than run away! I've played mech-tau, believe me, and i generally find the infantry fire very lacking. those FW teams in fish do nothing when they zip around. Id personally prefer them putting in long range support. And you dont need a devilfish to be mobile. and i can put in a LOT of long range support with 45 fire warriors, considering they'd be failrly safe from return fire.

And just to make a point: the best, and most ruthlessly effective tau list i've ever seen was kroot, 4 static FW teams, one mounted Fw team, etherial, suit and 3 hammerheads. Quite mobile, considering the vehicles.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Closed Thread