Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online (http://forums.tauonline.org/)
-   Tau (http://forums.tauonline.org/tau/)
-   -   Tau need warp travel in their next codex (http://forums.tauonline.org/tau/79019-tau-need-warp-travel-their-next-codex.html)

Jedibean 08 Mar 2010 15:41

Tau need warp travel in their next codex

I was actually posting something under another thread on this forum and as I got further and further into it I decided that maybe it should have it's own thread. As such I've decided for the sake of advancing the Tau as a viable race in teh warhammer 40k storyline the Tau need to discover warp travel. NEED. Allow me to explain.

The major problem of the Tau fluff in general is that they dont have warp travel. I think it's an interesting enough idea that there is a major race that lacks the ability to ply the stars. However, it automatically limits their fluff severely. They will never take a larger role in any major events int he entire galaxy unless those events come to them. The entirety of the Tau race could literally be scrubbed from warhammer 40k's storyline completely and the game universe would be no different. You cant say that about any other race in the game. If the chaos space marines were to disappear forever into the eye of terror every race in the galaxy would be set at ease for the lack of a powerful enemy. If the eldar were to finally go extinct then the galaxy would actually suffer pretty severely without them guiding the hands of fate. For example Armageddon which is an ork Waagh! that would have hit an Eldar Craftworld and went straight on towards Terra if the Eldar hadn't guided them off. The Tyranids are the greatest threat to the known universe. The Orks are an inescapable and persistent threat that is all throughout the universe and when they gather togehether into a Waagh! can become and even larger threat than the Tyranids. The Necrons are a lfe hating enemy that can awaken from underneath the surface of any planet with literally no warning. I think you get the idea... The Tau on the other hand are confined to their little corner of the galaxy with no hope of ever seeing any larger part of the galaxy at any point in the near future.

They're kind of like the hobits of warhammer 40k where their corner of the eastern fringe represents the shire. The difference of course between Tau and hobits being that the Tau are an aggressive expansionist race who are hellbent on pacifying the entire galaxy. Literally the whole thing! The idea that they're so persisitent that they're willing to take the thousands of years that it will take to complete this task with sublight speed technology is... interesting... but in the meantime they're just going to be that annoying race off in the corner of the imperium that every now and then the imperium has to patch together a task force to push back into their corner. This does not make for great storyines.

In the next Codex the Tau need to have a warp travel breakthrough. They need to see the larger galaxy for what it is and truly experience the realms of the Imperium, the Orks and the number of the chapter of space marines they're up against. As such they some of their naivete would wash away and we'd see them develop weapons that are capable of exterminating an entire planets population in a single go. Or if they already have such weapons then they need to develop the will to use them. In the Future Tau storyline the 4th sphere of expansion needs to be an unprecedented level of expansion. Using newly discovered (stolen or gifted) warp technology they should expand into entire systems formerly controlled by orks, imperium and even chapters of space marines with the swiftness and ferocity of a tyranid hive fleet invasion. With warp travel they could (should) become the potent threat that they need to be. Because, again, they currently don't matter. If the Tau were to disappear (either being eaten by a tyranid hive fleet or the imperium finally gets enough breathing room to gather the strength to wipe them out once and for all) nothing would change. They literally dont matter in the current storyline. With warp travel they'd take their place in the stalemate of the 40k storyline and truly become a major galactic threat.

Thoughts?

SupremeAuthority 08 Mar 2010 15:55

Re: Tau need warp travel in their next codex

IIRC, i thought there was fluff saying that they did find warp related stuff, but decided not to do anymore reseach into it for some reason, but i haven't got my codex handy to give precise info on this.

PsyBomb 08 Mar 2010 15:55

Here's the thing: the Tau themselves don't have navigators, and the Kroot navigators are out with their mercenary fleet. The Nicassar or Demiurg would have to be conscripted to do that, as they're the only members of the Tau Empire with the capability. At that, the Demiurg don't really cound, since they're not really a subject race as much as a trading partner.

Zen 08 Mar 2010 15:57

Plus it will open up opportunities for Chaos Tau *headdesk*

Circus Freak 08 Mar 2010 16:01

I see your point, but warp travel isn't the way to do it. They're going to need something new. Standard warp travel will not work for them. GW needs to come up with a way for them to have more reliable and long-range FTL, but the methods the other races use are inappropriate. Except maybe the Necrons' inertialess drive, but that's a hell of a breakthrough for the Tau to work out.

CmdrBonesaw 08 Mar 2010 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Circus
I see your point, but warp travel isn't the way to do it. They're going to need something new. Standard warp travel will not work for them. GW needs to come up with a way for them to have more reliable and long-range FTL, but the methods the other races use are inappropriate. Except maybe the Necrons' inertialess drive, but that's a hell of a breakthrough for the Tau to work out.

I agree with that. A while ago, a few of us entertained the "travel gate"-approach for Tau - this way, their ships could move ver quickly to systems they already know, but expansion is still slowed down somewhat. Besides, Tau ships ARE warp-capable (the act of transition into warp space IS known to the Tau, as it is a simple procedure, and their current drives actually work on a modified - and more reliable - basis).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedibean
In the Future Tau storyline the 4th sphere of expansion needs to be an unprecedented level of expansion. Using newly discovered (stolen or gifted) warp technology they should expand into entire systems formerly controlled by orks, imperium and even chapters of space marines with the swiftness and ferocity of a tyranid hive fleet invasion. With warp travel they could (should) become the potent threat that they need to be. Because, again, they currently don't matter. If the Tau were to disappear (either being eaten by a tyranid hive fleet or the imperium finally gets enough breathing room to gather the strength to wipe them out once and for all) nothing would change. They literally dont matter in the current storyline. With warp travel they'd take their place in the stalemate of the 40k storyline and truly become a major galactic threat.

Wargamer once wrote a nice rant about why Necrons (or rather their 3rd Edition fluff) sucked: In a nutshell, he said that what pissed people off was that, suddenly, they showed up, and had, well, everything. Excellent ships. A storyline that explained all the other storylines. They just got in, and took their place amongst the gods (quite literally!) of 40K - without warning.
That isn't the case with the Tau, and that's why I like them. They started small, and they're still small, but they're growing. Introducing changes like the ones you suggested - fully warp-navigatable ships, which come over enemy planets with "the swiftness and ferocity of a tyranid hive fleet invasion", Tau would just be like this - some fanboy's idea of a great race and addition to 40K.
Part of the fluff I like is that the Tau are one fo those underdog races out there - in the galaxy, there are hundreds, if not thousands of small alien empires, some at least as big as the Tau Empire - but only the Tau get their story told.
Tau WILL play a bigger role on the 40K universe, but they'll earn it the hard way - thousands of years of hard labor awaits them, but they do not falter. And that's what makes them such a great race to play.

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: But even IF they'd develop warp travel - they'd still be confined to their part of the galaxy. It's just too big for a single race to conquer a large slice of it; and warp travel alone doesn't give you manpower, ressources and so on. Consider mankind: For at least 35.000 years, mankind is travelling through the galaxy - and they still haven't seen everything.

Jedibean 08 Mar 2010 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupremeAuthority
IIRC, i thought there was fluff saying that they did find warp related stuff, but decided not to do anymore reseach into it for some reason, but i haven't got my codex handy to give precise info on this.

This was during Medusa 5 (6?). The tau were using the warp storm going on during this time to research the warp and to potentially unlock its secrets. The Tau suffered horribly at the hands of all other races involved and the entire earth caste research crew was lost to the warp. The outcome of medusa 5 (6?) suggests that they suffered some type of Event Horizon like fate that was too horrible to speak of. At which point the Tau decided to put the study of the warp on hold. Frankly I thought it was stupid. The results were based on actual game play and in my personal opinion the fact that the Tau did so poorly in that worldwide event was a sign that they were underpowered even in 4th edition despite all the complaints of fish of fury.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsyBomb
Here's the thing: the Tau themselves don't have navigators, and the Kroot navigators are out with their mercenary fleet. The Nicassar or Demiurg would have to be conscripted to do that, as they're the only members of the Tau Empire with the capability. At that, the Demiurg don't really cound, since they're not really a subject race as much as a trading partner.

Take a Kroot with the navigator gene, strap him into a chair, put some electrodes into his head that produce output to a Tau navigational computer that an Air Caste Tau can manipulate and start plying the warp! Is it cruel? Hell yes. Is it ruthless? Absolutely. Is it for the Greater Good? You betcha!

The Tau have no qualms about mind controlling the vespid and using them to die for the Greater Good on far off battlefields that would otherwise have nothing to do with them. They also have no problem sending thousands of kroot to their death in order to preserve the lives of their fire warriors. Why wouldn't they strap a few kroot into a starship in order to secure a major strategic advantage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenai
Plus it will open up opportunities for Chaos Tau *headdesk*

Chaos Kroot? ;D

Zen 08 Mar 2010 16:18

I'm pretty sure that the Tau Warp-Skimming Technology is rapidly improving and can match the Imperials but then there's the issue of managing literally an empire. Once beyond the Damocles Gulf, you're going to face problems the Imperials had when they first cross the stars and conquer the galaxy. Worlds especially isolated ones need to be able to defend themselves for years before reinforcement arrives, they need reliable communication to actually call for help and finally, they need to whole their ground; they can't afford to just get up and run away until reinforcement arrives.

khanaris 08 Mar 2010 16:24

I think you just need some mechanism for the Tau to be exploring areas that they aren't actually interested in investing directly into the Empire.

It isn't hard. The Imperium doesn't really have borders to protect. They use Astropaths to monitor Warp travel, and send warnings on ahead. And because of how Warp travel works, most invaders have to arrive in the outskirts of a system and spend a few weeks moving in towards the habitable zone. But if they just wanted to make up distance and they didn't care about trying to invade occupied worlds, the Tau could probably send a fleet anywhere in the galaxy without being engaged. They just need to be fast enough that they could cover the distance in a reasonable amount of time. I think the background just needs a mention of them being interested in sending explorers further afield. That gives players all the mechanism they need to include the Tau in campaigns set anywhere aside from the Eastern Fringe, but without making the Tau Empire itself expand too much in the intervening time.

The Man They Call Jayne 08 Mar 2010 17:01

I can see the Tau making some kind of FLT non warp based system. Possibly based on the Necrons Inertialess Drive. It seems like something the Tau could eventually grasp and make headway towards.

Alternativly some kinds of literal Star Trek Warp Drive, folding space and so on.