Warhammer 40K Forum

Static, Mech or Hybrid?
Closed Thread
Old 14 Jul 2005, 03:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire
Default Static, Mech or Hybrid?

I've heard alot about the three styles of play (is that what they are?), Static, Mech and Hybrid and I was wondering what style I should play as. I basically have a BattleForce with a HammerHead, a Kroot Shaper and a 3 shas (well the're not men, are they?) strong StealthTeam. I would also be interested in some tips on how to play these three styles.

Tyrehire

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 14 Jul 2005, 05:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Static, Mech or Hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrehire
I've heard alot about the three styles of play (is that what they are?), Static, Mech and Hybrid and I was wondering what style I should play as. I basically have a BattleForce with a HammerHead, a Kroot Shaper and a 3 shas (well the're not men, are they?) strong StealthTeam. I would also be interested in some tips on how to play these three styles.

Tyrehire
well there some good links that can help you under stand the three styles of play i play mech or hybrid

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=6372.0

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 14 Jul 2005, 06:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Mech Tau Army Construction Basics:http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=8261.0
Want to Start a Tau Army?: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=839.0

Use these as simple guidelines.
Also, if you intend on playing static, I would have to say that you are better off playing Imperial Guard, as in a simple shootfest, IG will beat Tau most of the time.
Hybrid is simply part Mech, and part static. It has some static elements, but not entirely. This is where most armies lie, as there are not too may pure Mech or pure Static.
Mech simply consists solely of models on transports, can move at least 12" a turn (including Jet Pack movement), or can infiltrate. This basically means that all Fire Warriors are on Devilfishes, and there are no Ethereals(unless mounted), no Broadsides, and no Krootox (which almost nobody use at the moment).

When it comes to playstyles, it depends on your army composition, as regardless of the guidelines, it is ultimately up to you to decide how everything will proceed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 14 Jul 2005, 14:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The cost of Static is inability to deal with indirect fire and more mobile forces on their terms and indirect fire ordinance but the benefit is apocolyptic firepower with many warm/ non-mobile bodies preferably concentrated.

The cost of Mech is inability to deal with Overlapping fire range from turtled up shooty armies that posess no strategic weakness or compulsion to spread themselves by advancing from their position as well as a lower model count.

The advantage is being able to pull off kooky tactcis and go where you want.

While hybrid tries to blend the strengths of both without the weaknessess, a static terror of a fire base with a mobile element to harass and jab your oppnent in the nads. It often doesn't work that way but the key is to remember the weaknesses of each unti type, like firewarriors only get to shoot thirty when they move unless dropped out of a devil fish where their move/rapid fire has a greater chance of meeting the enemy and avoiding an assault through fof.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 14:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

There really is only a difference in what you buy. As per the codex, there are two main Tau tactics which translate into "lure enemy into a kill zone and kick his butt" and "outmanuver him and kick his butt". Seems fairly standard since this is the main choice of almost all military tactics since the Romans ruled earth.

The pure static leans towards the first and the pure mech leans towards the second. The hybrid tries to compensate in both directions. You can't manuver well if your forces have to cover plodding Fire Warriors on foot, and you can't dish out massive firepower if your Fire Warriors are riding around in DF trying not to get shot down.

What you do with your Fire Warriors will determine which of the three "supposedly" different doctrines you use.

Wanax
Closed Thread