Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tips wanted: Static against Biker eldar
Old 14 Jul 2005, 03:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Tips wanted: Static against Biker eldar

I am against an Eldar player with a mess of Bikes, 1 Wraithlord, 1 Avatar, 1 troop squad (whatever eldar shooting troops are called). My weapons did quite well on him, except for the plasma which was overkill on troops and not enough for the big things or vehicles. The hard part was when it came time to advance. Losing a round of 30" shooting can hurt, especially when it means you are walking out of cover. Almost as bad is the assault-move hiding of the bikes. Being denied targets hurts the heck out of Tau. Advancing against starcannons is very, very hard. If I don't advance, It is difficult to control objectives or even damage some of the bikes.

I cannot change my army list. It is 3 x12 FW squads, 1x16 Kroot, 6 stealth, fireknife shas'el, fireknife crisis, deathrain crisis, ethereal, hammerhead, broadside.
DireStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2005, 05:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tips wanted: Static against Biker eldar

With no means to change your units consider subbing plasma for mp and using rail head for submunition templates also turtle yourself well enough so that your oppnent is forced to become exposed in order to strike at you even with his 6 inch this way and that jump.

By its nature you may try to split up your static list through your deployment zone as a way to make up for its lack of mobility.
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2005, 09:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks, I'll try splitting deployment as well as giving more cover along my side of the board.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 10:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

DireStrike:

Just out of curiocity,

Quote:
Almost as bad is the assault-move hiding of the bikes.
Could you elaborate on this a bit more? Which bikes are we talking about? I wasn't aware that bikes were capable of doing this, since they're not vehicles and cannot use the vehicle upgrade which allows them to make that extra move. Bikes merely move as bikes, and cannot make assault moves like Tau do. I remember a lot of people doing these kinds of things with the 4th edition rule sneak-peak that GW released.

Anyhow - just curious.

Cheers!
Old 14 Jul 2005, 11:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Frankly I'm not sure what it was either. I've asked in the Eldar forum, and I'm trying to get my hands on a codex, but it might not be until monday. All I know is he was using them like crisis suits to pop out, shoot, and then hide. Everything on the table was doing it except the foot soldiers, including non-vehicle bikes.

I really should have been more of a rules stickler with this guy. I let a couple of things slide that really shouldn't have, and if this is one of them, it definitely cost me the game. I'd like to figure it out before I have to play him again on monday.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 11:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
Frankly I'm not sure what it was either. I've asked in the Eldar forum, and I'm trying to get my hands on a codex, but it might not be until monday. All I know is he was using them like crisis suits to pop out, shoot, and then hide.

I really should have been more of a rules stickler with this guy. I let a couple of things slide that really shouldn't have, and if this is one of them, it definitely cost me the game. I'd like to figure it out before I have to play him again on monday.
I would seriously question that - hopefully an Eldar codex holder can give us a word on this. Though I'm fairly sure that an Eldar bike cannot pull that off. And if that's the case, then you got cheated. However, before jumping to conclusions, we'll wait for someone who can tell us about the actual ruling on these Eldar bikes.

Cheers!
Old 14 Jul 2005, 11:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
I remember a lot of people doing these kinds of things with the 4th edition rule sneak-peak that GW released.
I know this rule. In Germany it was called 'Turboboosta'.
you could do an extra movement of 12" INSTEAD of shooting and CC.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 11:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecooky
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
I remember a lot of people doing these kinds of things with the 4th edition rule sneak-peak that GW released.
I know this rule. In Germany it was called 'Turboboosta'.
you could do an extra movement of 12" INSTEAD of shooting and CC.
That's not the move I'm referring too. I'm referring to the ambiguous wording of the sneak-peak PDF that was released before 4th edition that stated that anything that was "jet" (pack or bike) could make an assault move like Tau does. Bikes don't do this, as instead they have turbo boosting, which is very different (and it's not an assault move). And after 4th edition was released finally, it was re-established that Tau were indeed the only ones with infantry who could use the assault move because the jet pack was unique. Eldar have vehicles which can do the same kind of move, via an upgrade, however the Eldar bikes are not vehicles so they cannot have that upgrade. Bikes simply cannot do the move/shoot/hide thing that Tau can.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 17:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Guardian JET bikes and Shining Spears have the ability to move 6" in assault in any direction, just like the Warp Spiders, but unlike the Spiders, they have no penalties for it. It's in the Eldar rulebook under the Eldar Jet Bike rules, on p34. Otherwise, they follow the regular Jet Bike rules in the rulebook, and thus, are skimmers that move 12" a turn, I believe.
I just looked at the Codex, so I'm sure about the extra movement, but a little vauge on the general rules on Jet Bikes in the 4th Ed Rulebook.
In the end, Eldar Jet Bikes are like faster, low power Crisis Suits that can hold their own in CC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Tsumishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2005, 17:32   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Jetbikes have the option of using either Turbo-boosters like other bikes or their free 6" assault-phase move like Tau Jetpacks.* They can't use both in the same turn, however. They are not counted as skimmers in close-combat, which would be a little more important if you weren't playing Tau.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote