Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Effectiveness of 'beefy' crisis units?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 17:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Effectiveness of 'beefy' crisis units?

I was wondering if anyone makes use of full drone selections in their crisis squads, does that choice predispose the unit to certain weapon selections?

Is the added fire power and survivability worth it?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2005, 17:56   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Effectiveness of 'beefy' crisis units?

Well, the "added survivability" can very quickly turn into "decreased survivability" in certain conditions because of majority rules. I generally favor seperate Drone squadrons before bulking out a crisis team. Apart from that, a team with 6 gun drones has quite a bit of extra firepower, but it is closer-ranged. I wouldn't use drones with a missile-pod team, for example. Because you need the hardpoint for a drone controller, Fireknife or any of the other multi-weapon configurations are less effective. Burst Cannons are generally better employed by Stealthsuits, so I would say my configuration of choice would be Twin-linked Plasma Rifles in that case. The squad MUST be bonded, or else the loss of your drones could run you off the table. This squad is not going to be very good at remaining a scoring unit if used rashly, so make sure you have other units capable of holding objectives.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2005, 18:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A shasO emerged in drones might be an idea (10 leader ship overriding their horrible leadership). Otherwise, full suit squads just do not get the job done and are larger targets to hide during your assault move.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
ShadowDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2005, 18:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I understand what you are saying about the decreased survivaility because the unit would recieve more wounds that wouldn't be able to scratch the Crisi toughness normally.

I see, however that it is as likely that the crisis would be killed outright often by enough firepower to create that situation.

You can skip the junk below, its all the theory swimming around in my head.

A fish of fury unloads and attacks a full squad of Crisis+gun drones. 12 firewarriors rapid, 12 shots hit, 10 shots wound seven are assigned to the drones to save (with one assigned by the attacker) and 3 are assigned to the crisis. 3 wounds are saved by the drones and four die. 2 wounds are saved by the crisis and one takes a wound. The passenger gun drones make a hit and a wound, its assigned the the crisis and saved. The Devil fish with Multi-tracker-targetting array shoots its 3 shots, 2 hit but only one wounds on average because the drones and fish were shooting at toughness 4. Its equaly likely you'd lose a suit as keep it leaving the unit at 2 drones 3 crisis (1 wound) or 2 drones 2 crisis.

Same scenario with a group of 3 crisis with an offensive upgrade to missle pods or something simmilarly juicy that allowed them to we'll say remove the burst cannon from the incoming fish, the first immobilize result having been rerolled to a can't shoot. 12 firewarriors make 24 shots, 12 hit, 8 wound. Crisis suffer 2 wounds making one casualty. Twin linked gun drones make their shots resulting in one wound and that wound goes unsaved. So we have 2 crisis one with a single wound remaining, if the burst cannon was functioning there would be a roughly equal chance of their being a single crisis suit as having 2 with one wound.

3 Fuision-plasma/mt suits deep strike next to a group of 3 tl plasma suits who chose gun drones. The fusion/plas unload hitting 5 times, making armor roll 4 times and instantly killing four drones. Tl plas suits respond with 5 hits four pens and an obliterated squad.

3 tl plas+shield gen suits deep strike next to 3 tl plas+drone suits. The tl plas hit 5 times, pen 4 and remove 4 drones while the plas drone squad replies with five shots, four pen 2 go unsaved leaving a single crisis, Drones fire hit once, pen once and the suit takes a wound before it replies by killing the drone's master only to be slaughtered on the next turn.

Comparison between Fish of fury and a tl plas+drone attack on a tac squad.
Devilfish+fw=200 3tlplas+drone=222.

Movement
Fish dumps @ ~ 9 inches from tac squad, plas +drones set up at ~18 inch line.

Shooty
*Fishy
Fw- 8 wounds
drones- 1 wound
Burst- 1 wound
~2.33 dead marines

*Beef squad
Crisis -2 insta dead
Drones -2 wounds
~2.66 marines dead.

Assault
Crisis+drones hop back hopefully beyond retaliation range or behind cover.
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2005, 18:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Wouldn't you be able to get two crises commanders and put them into drone units then put those bigunits into the crises unit as their independent characters ( are you a independent character for going in to other units if you have drones).
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:03   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I assume you mean sticking two commanders with drone controllers into a crisis team with drone controllers, giving you 5 battlesuits and 10 drones. You can never join an IC to more than one squad at a time, so incorporating a Drone Squadron is out.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by T pok
Wouldn't you be able to get two crises commanders and put them into drone units then put those bigunits into the crises unit as their independent characters ( are you a independent character for going in to other units if you have drones).
If you start the game deployed as an HQ with drone wargear, you are a target. You join squads during your movement phase so if you go second you can expect some missiles or lascannons flying into your HQ.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
ShadowDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:19   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

It is okay, you would be safe (relatively). Independent Characters may start the game joined to other squads, provided they are within coherency with another unit when the game begins.* See page 81 of the 4th edition rulebook.* They may also start inside vehicles, if there is room.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Khannris What rule book are you useing as mine olny has 71 Pages.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:28   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by T pok
Khannris What rule book are you useing as mine olny has 71 Pages.
Are you using the abridged version from Battle for Macragge? I am not sure what the page would be in that book.

The rule in question is under Deploy Forces. This section is right before all of the missions in the back.