Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Gun For the Tau
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jul 2005, 23:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New Gun For the Tau

hi guys, the idea with this topic is 2 come up with some new gun 4 the tau, as said in the topic.
i was thinking something like an upgraded rail rifle or something like that.
any ideas?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff
Default Re: New Gun For the Tau

The rail rifle doesn't need to be upgraded. The tau don't really need any new guns. However, I would like something that made sense. Like an indirect fring weapon that you could use the markerlight for. That would make sense.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

How about a little 5 point pistol that Shas'ui can buy for a few points in fw squads and carry in addition to their pulse rifle.

Marker pistol 10 points
Assault 1 12" range
Instead of firing normally a model carrying the marker pistol can make a single shot with a markerlight but with a range of 12"

or

some sort of carbine for fire warrior squads (cant think of a good name)

Carbine 4 points
Up to half of the fire warriors in a squad can take Carbines (without dropping the half for pulse carbines so you could take squads of carbineers)
Assault 2 S5 AP5 18"

Just thinks I made up in the last two minutes or so. Shouldn't this be in the house rules section though?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

A more expensive Pulse Carbine that shoots EMP Grenades instead of Photons is what I'd want.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff

I think it could be really cool to have a carbineer squad. The same as FW's but the whole squad could have carbines. Imagine it: fire warriors that can move without the aid of a gravitic vehicle!
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:41   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, let's look at what the Tau don't have.

We have no regular infantry weapons apart from the Pulse Rifle and Carbine. Personally, I don't have a problem with this. As Shas'O Jeff said, a less expensive all-carbine unit would be nice.

We do not have any small-template weapons, and our choice of area effect weapons is limited in general, with one Crisis weapon and one tank weapon.

The pulse pistol is merely a strength 5 pistol and nothing fancy. If you are going to make a Shas'ui pay 10 points, he might as well keep his regular weapon and get the regular markerlight for the same price.

The Rail-Rifle needs an overhaul, but only because it is so rarely used. Sniper teams would make more sense then sticking them in with Fire Warriors, though.

I guess I just can't see where a new gun would fit in. We already fill most of the niches, aside from indirect fire as was mentioned.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would like the idea of the marker pistol if it was 5 points, since this would be a secondary item that probably wouldnt see too much use normally.

I think that something needs to be done to pulse carbines, but other than that and maybe the marker pistol, FW are pretty good.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Honestly, a couple options for support weapons in the squad, akin to a heavy bolter team or something like the IG have, or almost every other army has...that would be really nice. *Would help a lot with something like a Marine rush. *It would also help fill the void that exists for AP2 and 3 weapons. *I dunno, something like:

Two Fire Warriors can form a Heavy Weapons team, equiping either a Plasma Rifle for +10 points, Missle Pod for +14 points, or a Rail Gun for +30 points (not a great deal better than the Lascannon in my mind, since it hits less often, and firing lanes tend to limit it's range), and then some sort of new machine-gun type weapon, like a longer ranged Burst cannon (like the Hammerhead turret that has range 36', but obviously not Twin-Linked) or Heavy Bolter equiv for +15 poitns.

One Fire Warrior can be armed with the following weapon: Flamer at +6, grenade launcher at +10 points (can fire EMP or Photon greanades, visa vi IG; Photon would have the something like the possibility of pinning the unit, or do similar damage like a Frag Grenade, which I believe is S3 AP6, great vs. puds, range 24), or something else fitting (maybe another Markerlight, would definitely make it worthwhile to have 2 in a sqaud so it's not always 50-50).

My 2C. *Points aren't exact, obviously, but I think something along those lines would really fit a Tau army and give it way better stand-up power; it would also counter the problem of BS3, because it would be possible to get more volume of fire (with either heavy or anti-infantry weapons), and they wouldn't have to change the state line to BS4, which seems to be a major point of contention.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 13 Jul 2005, 01:15   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to xibalba

Not a new gun but maybe an upgrade i would like to see the burst cannon with rending for 15 pts
just a dream
Old 13 Jul 2005, 02:28   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yes the tau I think could use some heavy weapons for FW teams, Like a burst cannon or some thing like that maybe who knows. cause really some new guns would help. But then again we have a lot of weapons we just need to be able to use them with FW's.