Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What should I do?
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jul 2005, 20:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default What should I do?

I just started my Tau army and I was wonder what everyone thinks I should buy next for my Army. I currently have the following:

The Fire warrior with Devilfish boxed set.(12 warriors and the fish)
1 box of kroots. (16 kroots)
1 Ethereal

I am kinda leaning towards buying that Tau battleforce box because you save a ton of money but I was wondering what everyone else thought I should do. What Elite/Fast Attack/Heavy Support unit does everyone reccomend after I get my core troops rollin.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 20:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff
Default Re: What should I do?

Hammerhead is great. Buy a devilfish for every one of your fire warrior squads. Stealth suits are also great. I seem t obe one of the few people to appreciate the greatness of gun drone squadrons, so get them if you like.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 20:57   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Take the time to look over the convertion threads about building Devilfish that can be converted into Hammerheads and vice versa. It lets you vary your army between a mobile and hybrid approach. Aside from that, you are going to need another squad of Fire Warriors at least. I would advise you to experiment with a few 500-1,000-point armies and post them in the Army Lists sub-section. That will help you get a better idea what kind of army you want to play. The large boxed sets do save you quite a bit, especially now that all of the individual sets went up in price.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 22:25   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah, I really want to center my army around fire warriors with Devilfish. I like the kroot simply because theyre pretty cheap pointwise so they can draw enemy attention and should they be ignored, they have the ability to do some damage. I like the hammerhead but should I buy the heavy crisis suits with the railguns or the hammerhead first? Oh yeah, I also like the gun drone squads so I plan on making one and testing out in a few battles. Im looking forward to trying the the army just because their tactics are so different from my blood angels. Too bad my friend I play with fields a really fast space wolves army...
Old 12 Jul 2005, 22:28   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Gun Drone Squadrons just sort of happen, since you can't buy drones explicitly. As you buy more Fire Warriors and other infantry, drones just sort of arrive on their own. I would suggest picking up a Hammerhead before the Broadsides. Broadsides aren't a bad unit, but they take some practice to use correctly, and they normally supplement rather than replace the Hammerhead in a balanced list. Against assault armies, Broadsides can be very hard to protect and easy to avoid.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 23:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

I agree with everything Khanaris said so far. Hammerheads are indespensible, and keeping the weapons modular helps a lot with their versatility (versatile models and game rules, what more could one ask for?) Broadsides should come later, but not much- Hammerheads can't get the volume of fire that Broadsides can, nor hit as often. I'd strongly recommend checking out the Ion Cannon on the Hammerhead for a couple games, esp. aqainst marines; with a Markerlight, the Ion Cannon can be indispensible. I'd also recommend experimenting with Crisis and Stealth Suits; Fireknife config for the Crisis (Missle Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multitracker; I deploy my Crisis as single units and make one Shas'el and the other two Shas'vre, hardwiring the Multitracker and giiving them all Shield Generators: this precludes the use of a Target lock and makes them a lot harder to bring down; expensive, but worth it in my experience.

I'd recommend playing several games with friends and subing in minis/coins for the actual unit, and experiment with everything you have an interest in, that way you don't wind up wasting money (like I did) on units you won't ever use. Good luck.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff

Well, you could wait for Gun Drones to "happen", or you could order sixteen of them like I did ;D. Ordering them from the catalogue is a good idea if you want them fast, and at around $2 apiece they're dirt-cheap.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:48   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Okay thanks for all the great tips guys, they will be helpful. Has anyone found that its been worth it to take kroot hounds? I sort of get the vibe from this site that the kroot aren't well liked.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:51   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think most of us like Kroot in general, especially in an otherwise mechanized army. Kroot hounds suffer a little from being metal models and thus expensive. I tend to think you are just better off with more regular Kroot, since Kroot can actually be pretty formidable in the shooting phase when used correctly.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think you should purchase 24 gun drones. And then purchase 4 more to attach to your HQ's, which will then join 8 drone strong squads!

And THEN purchase another 6 drones to buy as wargear 2 a piece for your hammerheads!

Or better yet, Buy 18 heavy drones from forgeworld and field them as your three heavy choices.

Get to it.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Closed Thread