Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Flechette Discharger Underrated?
Closed Thread
Old 11 Jul 2005, 14:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Flechette Discharger Underrated?

The Flechette Discharger deals a wound to any enemy close to the tank, with a chance of save. With FOF, you go close to the enemy frontlines so you can get out the rapid fire of the FW Pulse Rifles. But since you will be close to the enemy, and they'll try to assault you, it has to go near the Devilfish. Put Flechette Dischargers on it and they may not want to assault, or suffer a wound. I rarely see anyone talk about using it, so I believe it is underrated. Is there something I don't know that makes this cheap upgrade useless?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 14:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Flechette Discharger Underrated?

It would be nice if Flechet Dischargers wounded ever model hit by a tank shock. Instead, they only hit the single model attempting a death or glory attack when you tank shock. So essentially it gives you a chance to kill him before he has a chance to kill you. Granted death or glory is nigh-impossible on a skimmer, but I prefer not to take the risk if any of the models can damage me. Especially since leadership checks are made more often than not; I'd rather jump over them then take the risk.

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 11 Jul 2005, 14:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff

Flechette dischargers are invaluable against nids that have rending claws(not the big uns! . If you tank shock some genestealers they won't be able to resist death of glory-ing, and with a 5+ or 4+ save, they probably won't live very long. Any that survive have a very slim chance of harming you. They have to hit you on a 6, they have to roll another 6, then they have to get 3+ and they can only glance! Each attack has a 1/54 chance to glance you! I'll take those odds any day.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 15:17   #4 (permalink)
UXO
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShasOJeff
Flechette dischargers are invaluable against nids that have rending claws(not the big uns! . If you tank shock some genestealers they won't be able to resist death of glory-ing, and with a 5+ or 4+ save, they probably won't live very long. Any that survive have a very slim chance of harming you. They have to hit you on a 6, they have to roll another 6, then they have to get 3+ and they can only glance! Each attack has a 1/54 chance to glance you! I'll take those odds any day.
That in and of itself is enough for me to resist death or glory. My Nids aren't totally mindless and suicidal.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Behemoth
The Flechette Discharger deals a wound to any enemy close to the tank, with a chance of save. With FOF, you go close to the enemy frontlines so you can get out the rapid fire of the FW Pulse Rifles. But since you will be close to the enemy, and they'll try to assault you, it has to go near the Devilfish. Put Flechette Dischargers on it and they may not want to assault, or suffer a wound. I rarely see anyone talk about using it, so I believe it is underrated. Is there something I don't know that makes this cheap upgrade useless?
It only works against death or glory. Did you read the description?
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Behemoth
It only works against death or glory. Did you read the description?
Didn't see that. I guess that lessens it a lot.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

with death or glory, one model gets one attack, either close combat, or ballistic, and you hit automatically.
regardless, death or glory is not compulsary. pass your morale check, you can happily just stand there, and look at it.

all you have to do is roll for damage. so skimmers get no huge benefit.

and what kind of an idiot death or glorys an AV12 devilfish with an S4 genestealer??

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 11 Jul 2005, 17:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff

An idiot that has genestealers with rending claws. However, I doubt that he knew how slim his chances were(he isn't terribly bright).
Old 11 Jul 2005, 20:45   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Genestealers with rending claws don't have a bad chance to hurt a devilfish. The bigger problem I see with this is that Genestealers are rarely going to fail a Tank Shock test. If they pass, they are allowed to move models out of the way of the tank. Which way do you think they are going to move them? Towards your fire warriors, I would guess.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 20:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Well if you want to revolve a whole tactic around tank shocking -- how about getting a few skimmers (3 at least I think), and performing multiple tank shocks on one unit to box them in and wipe it out? I have never really had enough skimmer hulls on the board to do this, although it sounds perfectly possible (not to mention mean and clever), especially if using terrain pieces in conjunction with your pinning maneauvour.