Warhammer 40K Forum

Help a bad tau noob!
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jul 2005, 18:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Eddie
Default Help a bad tau noob!

i have a 611 pt. tau army.

- 9 fire warriors (some stupid kid stole the other 4)
- 1 battle suit, TL missle and shild gen.
- a devil fish
- 6 pathfinders all rails (i dont think that all RGs in a pathfinder squad is legal...)
- 6 gun drones

my friend who plays space marines has +/-25 marines, a speeder, a predator and 4 sniper scouts.

I always lose. Horribly. Mabey its cause i suck, but mabey i could get some advise from some shas'os?
Old 10 Jul 2005, 18:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Help a bad tau noob!

Well for one thing you're majorly out-pointed. You ideally need to get yourself some more Fire Warriors and a Hammerhead.

And your army isn't legal - you only have a single Troops choice (Fire Warriors) and Pathfinders can only have 3 Rail rifles per team.

~Andromidius
Old 10 Jul 2005, 19:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, considering what he's fielding, it's really not your fault that you're losing so badly:

5 marines = 7 or 8 fire warriors, points wise. So from a troops standpoint, you're outgunned.

Your one crisis suit has decent anti-armor, but a predator can be pretty tough, and considering how small the armies are, I'm betting your suit falls pray to his las-cannon or the like, very often.

The gun drones are a fairly weak unit, at 6. If two die, you're taking a leadership test for 25% casualties at leadership 4. So if 2 die, you're likely to loose the entire unit.

Those scouts are in all likelyhood picking off your firewarriors before they can even get many shots off edgewise.

Your pathfinders aren't legal, unfortunately, but I understand using them informally. They're probably the only firepower in this list that can take down marines with any regularity.

Okay, so here is what you can do:

Though it's easier in theory than it is to do, keep your crisis suit out of line of sight from that predator! A better solution than the shield generator is to simply stay down behind cover. (You guys can use coke-cans as grain-silos, paperback novels as small houses, etc.) I'd replace the shield generator with a plasma rifle, then hard-wire a multi-tracker, so you can fire both at once. Normally, I'd sugest twin-linking the plasma, but that predator and land speeder need to go down! The plasma can be used to try and engage the marines after the vehicles are down. The land-speeder should actually be your number one target, as the predator is slow moving, and you should be able to stay out of line of sight with your suit, and in cover with everything else.

Don't be affraid to pick-up and move your pathfinders as needed. That will be their greatest asset in this. In fact, you might even want them to engage the scout marines, to try and break them, or weaken them. The marines will spend a few turns getting up the table, so you can spend that time focusing on better targets.

Your firewarriors, regretably, may not do too much in such a set-up. Expect them to kill two or three marines at most, before biting the bullet. That is, if he goes after them. If you can get him to chase something else, they might have a few turns of fire to try and whittle the marines down.

The gun drones are a harassment unit, and also an alternative to having the pathfinders engage the scouts. Don't be affraid to deep-strike them. Try and take a pot-shot at the speeders rear armor, or have them try to pin the scouts. Not much else they will be able to do.

If you wish to expand your collection a little, get a heavy support choice of your chosing, either a broadside or a hammerhead (I favor the Hammerhead). Another battle-suit may be handy, as they're the only ones in our army capable of mounting plasma rifles (great anti-marine weapons). And of course, more troops would be useful. If you wish to play the list legally, a squad of fire-warriors would be nice for the devil-fish. If your opponent is fine with letting you use the all-sniper squad however, it may in fact be preferable ^^. If you don't have the chance to pick up more, you can still give him a run for his money with what you have. You just need to be careful with your crisis suit and those pathfinders.

Good luck, and I hope this helped.

Old 10 Jul 2005, 19:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Eddie

thank you guys very much and im sure this will help. I think im gonna get a hammerhead and the tau battleset or whatever its called.

Thanks, eddie
Old 11 Jul 2005, 06:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

The battleforce? Yes, for just starting out, that is a good way to go, It will give you more fire warriors, Kroot, more drones to fill out some fast attack, plus 3 more suits which are always great. The hammerhead, yes, if you can, get that. The Rail gun will be able to lay waste to the Pred if your luck and its fast movement should help to keep it out of trouble. Good luck, if you need any more pointers on starting the army, feel free to let us know.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
Old 11 Jul 2005, 12:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to smilingyello Send a message via MSN to smilingyello Send a message via Yahoo to smilingyello

do you think it would be cheaper to get the battleforce than a box of FW Kroot and crisis suits?
Old 11 Jul 2005, 12:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Reaper Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingyello
do you think it would be cheaper to get the battleforce than a box of FW Kroot and crisis suits?
well the battle force cost x and the the others cost x amout less but u do get 3 crisis in the battle force tus saving u X amount

Reap
stoner Rabbit
Old 11 Jul 2005, 13:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to smilingyello Send a message via MSN to smilingyello Send a message via Yahoo to smilingyello

well the battle force cost x and the the others cost x amout less but u do get 3 crisis in the battle force tus saving u X amount

Reap
[/quote]

im sorry what are the prices? i think its my computer but i only see Lx i guess thats pounds
Old 11 Jul 2005, 13:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Why the X's so we don't have a clue what you're saying, Reap?

Kroot Box 40
Firecaste *40
3 Crisis * * 75

= 155, so the battleforce saves you $25 (Canadian, assuming the 2 bonus gun drones and trees balance out the -4 Kroot.

Beware, though. *I recomend that you open the battleforce at the GW store in front of an employee or two. *Battleforces are notorious for having missing peices.

On the topic of your army: *The Railhead works wonders on the armour, but you should know that it is a total waste on his infantry. *For them, you need the Tau Dedicated Marine Destruction Suit Weapon (better known as a plasma rifle). *Giving 3 Crisis suits Twin-linked plasma rifles (TLPR) guaranties multiple casualties per turn. *Save the missile pods for the Scouts (they only have 4+ armour, which MPs ignore) or the landspeeder (penetrate on a 3+).
Give both vehicles Decoy Launchers and Multi-trackers - under the new rules, they can move up to 12", fire everything, and surivive Immobalized rolls.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
i have a 611 pt. tau army.

- 9 fire warriors (some stupid kid stole the other 4)
- 1 battle suit, TL missle and shild gen.
- a devil fish
- 6 pathfinders all rails (i dont think that all RGs in a pathfinder squad is legal...)
- 6 gun drones

my friend who plays space marines has +/-25 marines, a speeder, a predator and 4 sniper scouts.

I always lose. Horribly. Mabey its cause i suck, but mabey i could get some advise from some shas'os?
pointswise, you are pretty even. you have 611, his is 650, unless his marines have heavy and special* weapons.

regardless, both armies are illegal. no HQs, and you lack the 2 mandatory troops squads.

Regarding your list Eddie, drop the drones. very dodgy unit. drop the pathfinders. And you are right, all rails are illegal.

bring it up to 1000 points, invest in more fire warriors, hammerheads, and kroot. sorted! its all you really need. Maybe a broadside.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Closed Thread