Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What do you guys think about this seeker rules issue?
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jul 2005, 11:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default What do you guys think about this seeker rules issue?

At a big game yesterday ,one of the players insisted that seeker missiles aren't "improved" by markerlights, and therefor do not ignore cover. It seems like they implicitly benefit from the light and it stands to reason they ignore cover saves.

Has there been any official word?
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 10 Jul 2005, 12:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: What do you guys think about this seeker rules issue?

Seeker missles benefit from marker ligts in the exact same way as all other weapons. 2+ to hit, no cover save. THe player you were playing is an idiot and should be knocked out. If he keeps on insisting just show him the codex and the chapter approved from the GW website and then break a squad of his models or a tank. Thats what i do.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 12:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesalin
Seeker missles benefit from marker ligts in the exact same way as all other weapons. 2+ to hit, no cover save. THe player you were playing is an idiot and should be knocked out. If he keeps on insisting just show him the codex and the chapter approved from the GW website and then break a squad of his models or a tank. Thats what i do.
You had better be joking about breaking another person's models, or I'm going to have to smite you because that's talking about illegal activities, which is against the rules, and also, we don't condone such foolish behaviour here. The player could be merely suspicious of a possile rules violation, possibly as a result of claims made by other people, and the correct response is to prove him or her wrong with official confirmation, or, if that's not possible, decide it with a dice roll or coin toss. This is meant to be about fun, and the easiest way to have fun is resovle arguments over rules quickly. in a tournament, it is the umpire's descion as to what goes if it's not official.

Anyway, on this issue, apart from the violent resolutions, Kesalin is otherwise correct in that Seeker missiles have a 2+ to hit, but according to the Tau Codex, the target DOES benefit from a cover save that it is in or immediatley behind. It must be noted they do not require LOS, and thereforeare not affetced by night-fight rules, and also, are able to be fired in addition to all the vehilce's other weapons even if it has moved over 6" (Sources: Tau Codex, Games Workshop Tau FAQ
Old 10 Jul 2005, 12:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesalin
You had better be joking about breaking another person's models, or I'm going to have to smite you because that's talking about illegal activities, which is against the rules, and also, we don't condone such foolish behaviour here. The player could be merely suspicious of a possile rules violation, possibly as a result of claims made by other people, and the correct response is to prove him or her wrong with official confirmation, or, if that's not possible, decide it with a dice roll or coin toss. This is meant to be about fun, and the easiest way to have fun is resovle arguments over rules quickly. in a tournament, it is the umpire's descion as to what goes if it's not official.

Anyway, on this issue, apart from the violent resolutions, Kesalin is otherwise correct in that Seeker missiles have a 2+ to hit, but according to the Tau Codex, the target DOES benefit from a cover save that it is in or immediatley behind. It must be noted they do not require LOS, and thereforeare not affetced by night-fight rules, and also, are able to be fired in addition to all the vehilce's other weapons even if it has moved over 6" (Sources: Tau Codex, Games Workshop Tau FAQ
That's the thing though, I definitely see where the player is coming from. The markerlight doesn't improve the seeker missile's chances to hit. The seeker missile itself hits on a 2+, and that is written in the description. While I believe the intent is to ignore cover saves, I don't think that it's literally written out in the FAQ, Codex or chapter approved updates.

Unless this is specifically clarified or you can point out the exact passage where the rules explain that seeker missiles ignore cover saves then we aren't getting anywhere.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 10 Jul 2005, 12:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Wow, that's really confusing, but I guess that's right. *Only weapons improving their to-hit rolls get to ignore cover, not seeker missles themselves...that's...annoying; oh well; I'd been assuming they did ignore cover saves, as were all my friends...crap. Maybe someone should post over at the GW boards?
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 10 Jul 2005, 13:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

I'd say there would be no need, as it already seems to be that the case is what I said is the right answer, but then again, I did say it, so I'm hardly impartial. Feel free to post over at the GW forums of course, but please remember that the only official offical is what it says in a book, FAQ, or white dwarf, and the newest official always or at least usually supercedes the older versions.

This means that anything that comes from the word of a GW employee or an unofficial publication is unofficial offical, and as such, superseded by an official offical claim that either says the same thing or a different thing.

We all following that? Yes? Good, glad someone is, becuase I'm not... :-\
Old 10 Jul 2005, 13:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

What I think the problem is, is a little mal-wording on GW's part, like always.

Page 20; Codex Tau:

"...if desired, although each needs to be guided by a separate markerlight."

The seeker missiles are fired only if a markerlight hits, and it is guided by a markerlight. It says it right there on page 20.

"...and they hit on a 2+."

This next statement is fine, it is already stated that the seeker missile is guided by a markerlight, so of course they hit on a 2+ like all weapons that are guided by markerlights.

Tau FAQ v4.0.1:

"...are subsequently hit by weapons using Markerlights to improve their chance of hitting..."

Again, we already have it in our Codex that the seeker missiles are guided by markerlights, therefore they hit on a 2+ like all weapons with Markerlight guidance. The seeker missile is no different than the other Tau weapons, except that seeker missiles may only be fired with a markerlight, unlike other weapons may still be fired without them.

Seeker Missiles are guided; their chances to hit are that of the Markerlight's ability because they may only be fired as a result of a markerlight lightning a target, which all fits into the category of "do not receive cover saves" in my book. Every Tau weapon that uses a markerlight when firing, including seeker missiles, ignore cover saves. It's why they made the rule to tempt us to use them again.

That's how I see it anyhow

Cheers!
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:07   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I have never accepted, when playing with or against Tau, that "guided" weapons ignore cover. The Markerlight does, but I don't see how that makes every Tau in the army a master-marksman. If I equip my Guard with laser pens, do my Heavy Weapon Teams hit on 2+ and ignore cover?

Markerlights only tell the enemy where to aim. They do not guide the bullets.

Edit: The Codex seems to support my view:

Edit by 42:Page 19, Section - Markerlight. In future please do not paste direct rules from the codex word for word, thanks.

It says nothing about ignoring cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Wargamer:

There is no mention of the ignoring of cover in the natural Tau codex, because it is a new feature that was added with the Tau FAQ v4.0.1 from chapter approved. Our codex has been updated. Weapons guided by markerlights ignore cover saves (but do not ignore cover, say to vehicles).

Cheers!
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
I have never accepted, when playing with or against Tau, that "guided" weapons ignore cover. The Markerlight does, but I don't see how that makes every Tau in the army a master-marksman. If I equip my Guard with laser pens, do my Heavy Weapon Teams hit on 2+ and ignore cover?
Laser pens are different to markerlights, markerlights are actually part of weapons targetting systems, and have some sort of effect on the view down the barrel of a pulse rifle (or similar) to help the warrior/tank gunner lock onto the target for such a clear aim that even a guardsman who is in cover can be hit with ease.