Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Building a Tau Army - Part 2
Closed Thread
Old 02 Jul 2005, 12:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Building a Tau Army - Part 2

After having built a solid combat patrol, with the options to chop and change, now it is time to step up to 1000pts. Firstly though, lets look at where we left off –

12 Fire Warriors, Shas'ui
Pulse Rifles

Devilfish Troop Transport, Decoy Launchers

10 Kroot Carnivores

XV8 Crisis Battlesuit
Twin Linked Missile Pod, Flamer

XV8 Crisis Battlesuit
Twin Linked Plasma Rifle, Flamer

So for expanding to 1000pts we are going to want a few more fire warriors to start off with, I advise another box full. Also, this army lacks heavy support, so that can be rectified with a Hammerhead Gunship. And finally, many players find these units the most enjoyable to play with, and they deliver results no matter the enemy – a unit of 6 stealth suits.

So in total –
12 Fire Warriors, - £18
1 Hammerhead Gunship – £20
6 Stealth Suits - £18

So it's all very well talking about these purchases; but how do we use them together and create a 1000pt army?

HQ –
For a beginner Tau army I advise against the ethereal here, he is vulnerable in your army, and with fewer bodies in 100pts, he can be picked out. Furthermore he is 5% of your army, and he can’t fight. Instead, invest 30 or 40 points more, and we can get a nicely kitted out Shas’el to lead your army and fill up a compulsory slot, acting in a very similar way to your other crisis suits.

TROOPS -
We already have our fast mounted squad and our Kroot. However generally more troops are needed as we increase the points, buying another box of fire warriors is a more than worthwhile investment that can be used straight away effectively in a nice 12-man team.

HEAVY SUPPORT –
I advise a nice versatile choice of the Hammerhead Gunship. One of the best tanks in the game, point-for-point. With the mighty railgun it can also function as a troop killer with a sub-munitions blast, or fire solid shot character/tank-busting rounds! With a few handy upgrades such as decoy launchers and a multi-tracker, it can also stay around for most of the battle!

Our final list: 1002pts

HQ –
Shas’el, Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi-tracker - 85

A simple but effective and versatile choice that will do you will against any army.

TROOPS –
10 Kroot – 70

12 Fire Warriors, Shas’ui, - 225
Devilfish with Decoy Launchers and Multi-tracker

12 Fire Warriors, Shas’ui – 130

Just more Fire Warriors really, a solid ground team that can be used as a lure and just provide a solid firebase. To read about the other choices see the last newsletter.

ELITES –
6 Stealth Suits – 180

1 Crisis Battlesuit, Twin Linked Plasma Rifle, Flamer - 60

1 Crisis Battlesuit, Twin Lined Missile Pod, Flamer - 57

These can also be used, both with the Fireknife combination (Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle and Multi-tracker, I just find this combination is more reliable)

HEAVY SUPPORT –
Hammerhead Gunship, RailGun, Burst Cannons, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers - 165

Happy gaming until next month
[size=8pt]
Brought to you by your friendly Aun'Ro'Elan 42
[/size]

Old 06 Jul 2005, 19:53   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Building a Tau Army - Part 2

hey what should i get first for troops and vehicles? and what colors would be easiest to paint and cheapest?
Old 06 Jul 2005, 20:33   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well i think first get troops then ships and most colouers are the same price. i would use something like a yellow and black ;D
Old 06 Jul 2005, 20:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauman
hey what should i get first for troops and vehicles? and what colors would be easiest to paint and cheapest?
You need 1 squad of Firewarriors, manditory! So get those guys. Then decide between either more FW or Kroot.

Every basic color at GW is the same price. :P
Old 06 Jul 2005, 20:38   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thats what in said
Old 06 Jul 2005, 20:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeh but both of you miss the point.

Yellow is very hard to paint tauman. If you want a nice looking army that is easy to paint, go for something like:

Black Spray
Black Ink
Grey highlight, or drybrush if you want it even easier. There are various shades of grey, but use 1 or 2 and first use a darker shade, then a lighter shade.
Finally add a colour that you want to contrast with. Red looks especially nice with Black as does White. for Red paint a base colour of red, a lighter shade to get the colour, then a highlight/drybush of the area with an orange or something lighter than the red. For white, just give it a few layers of white for a quick but plain look, or build up with 2 shades of Grey then add White highlights to make it stand out.

So now you have a dark army offset by either a blazing red or a ghostly white and it shouldn't even take too long.

As for Troops and Vehicles. Get a squad of FCW, then a few Crisis Suits and a Hammerhead. You now have the backbone ofa Tau army. If you want to know what kind of equipment to give them just PM me.

Hope that helped.

Good Luck
Old 06 Jul 2005, 20:47   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i used shadow grey and bleched bone for mine ;D