Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

looking through the helmet ?
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jul 2005, 20:01   #11 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: looking through the helmet ?

Sorry.* We can perceive depth because our brains are capable of adding two slightly different images together in a way that creates a 3-D image.* It happens because each of our eyes is getting a slighlty different view of the world around us.* A stereoscope is a scientific instrument that essentially uses two microscopes, one for each eye.* This allows you to see a 3-d image of a small object.* "Stereoscopic" just refers to anything dealing with the combination of two inputs taken from different angles to get a new signal with some component of depth.* Incidentally, this is how all those "Magic Eye" hidden images work. There are actually two different views of the hidden object concealed within distortions of a regular pattern

The Tau helmet would have to reconstruct two slightly different images of what is in front of a Fire Warrior, one for each eye.* Because Tau eyes are on the same horizontal plane, the same as ours, these images must be offset horizontally.* The two lenses on the front of the helmet are offset vertically, so the helmet would not have the right perspective to create these two images.* This means that a Tau Fire Warrior probably has no depth perception when wearing that helmet.* He is seeing a flat representation of whatever is in front of him.* The fact that they were designed this way suggests to me that the Tau have poor depth-perception anyway.
Old 06 Jul 2005, 20:05   #12 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
The fact that they were designed this way suggests to me that the Tau have poor depth-perception anyway.
That or the design team thought that it looks cool ;D
Old 06 Jul 2005, 20:09   #13 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff

Maybe it shows them two screens. Like a nintendo DS ;D
Old 06 Jul 2005, 21:33   #14 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShasOJeff
Maybe it shows them two screens. Like a nintendo DS ;D
ha ha that funny nintendo DS

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 06 Jul 2005, 23:39   #15 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ooh ooh! i know i know!!

.. actually i just always assumed the left eye saw through the eyepiece, the right eye saw through the gunsight piece

.. they just put the gun up to their face outta habit, or maybe its the newbies that cant differentiate as well, so has to have both eyes line up... pssh! rookies tau!!
Old 06 Jul 2005, 23:55   #16 (permalink)
Shas'La

With Tau technology what it is, the helmets could provide two tiny side-by-side cameras that create the slightly different images...or have virtual reality gear that converts what two cameras see into a series of grids that then makes judging distances even more precise...or one-way transparent plasteel that actually gives them full 360º vision, while the scope on the front merely provides a neon green arrow that points to objectives and shows the distance away (a la the Fire Warrior game). It also may use some type of fiber optics and imaging software to provide night vision, high-contrast rendering, or different color modes (i.e. infra red) based on settings within the battlesuit. It could provide tiny digital readouts of temperature, wind velocity, and possibly enemy analysis (think the Terminator movies) display sonar read-outs, topographical maps, commander orders. It could change UV filters based on light levels, eliminating retinal damage from flashes or explosions. Could have moisture-wicking lining that keeps sweat out of the eyes and could have aural filtering that will allow them to communicate with whispers and yet not be defeaned by explosions.

This race has super-advanced technology compared to humans waaaaaaay in the future—I don't think we can assume limitations based on what we see with 21st-century eyes.

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 07 Jul 2005, 02:50   #17 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff

I still think it has a built-in gameboy
Old 07 Jul 2005, 07:15   #18 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

lol, I bet you would. But I agree with RC. This whole game was set so far in the future for the very reason that you could do some really weird things and it wouldn't seem totally out of place. I'm going to assume that the GW wanted the Tau to look very steamlined so their helms would kinda reminisate of those that you can find from the 1950's back when sweeping lines were all the rage. But given we're dealing with one of thee most advanced armies in 40k, I'm going to just go along with an extremely hi-tech answer to this one.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
Closed Thread